Stamford Bridge Thread

Can you just sum up it for me in few words?

So what does this all mean?

There are a number of interpretations that can be extracted. The context, we believe is that CapCo have been keen to incorporate a stadium in order to bring capital and a real shot in the arm to the project. You all know by now that this was the reason behind the share buy back last October. CapCo are rumoured to be less than swimming in cash. The most optimistic of the possible outcomes is one where the club know they have sufficient support from the Mayor and will challenge the development at each stage, eventually persuading him to call the development in. The most pessimistic is that Chelsea, despite their persistence, are flogging a dead horse. A project of this size rarely follows a simple path and within a year everything can change, especially with the toxic issue of the two estates becoming ever more prominent.

We have heard that there are in existence images of a stadium design at Earls Court and we would very much like to see the club publish those.

We would also strongly propose that all Chelsea fans direct their efforts to applying pressure on the council to loosen their position on Earl's Court rather than taking their unsubstantiated claims of SB expansion and trying to beat the club with them. We have said it before; if they are apparently happy to countenance a 55-60k stadium at SB (which simply isn't feasible) then they ought to be comfortable with the club moving a few hundred yards along the railway track and so cfcretaining the financial benefits to the area they profess to be so keen to maintain. We should be asking WHY they are so resistant to Chelsea's obvious desire to bring cash and benefits to the project. When you think about it, it doesn't make any sense at all really does it?

Can you just sum up it for me in few words?

Chelsea FC have kept telling the council that they oppose the proposed housing at Earls Court because 'It does not take advantage of the potential for a new stadium'. They may fight against the decision if permission is given to build houses at Earls Court instead of a stadium

Chelsea FC have kept telling the council that they oppose the proposed housing at Earls Court because 'It does not take advantage of the potential for a new stadium'. They may fight against the decision if permission is given to build houses at Earls Court instead of a stadium

They wouldn't need all of EC to build a stadium. What CFC are essentially saying that not all of it should go to houses being built, as potential commercial activity could be lost.

• 3 weeks later...

This is good news, for those living abroad earls court is literally a stones throw from the bridge, and has excellent rail links. Biggest challenge with the site is that the district line runs directly under it.

It's a better (cheaper) option than Battersea IMO, and if the council is serious about helping us to remain in the borough (they are thinking £££s here) they should take our objections / application seriously.

The best thing Roman can do for this club is provide us with a suitable home for the next 50-100 years. That's a sign of real commitment and a sure fire way to propel us into the top 5 earners in world football. Hell we could even adopt a similar approach to Arsenal (highbury) and become partners with the firm developing SB, they made a bloody fortune from that.

Roll on a +60k state of the art stadium, would nearly double our match day income if you take into account corporate facilities.

We have said it before; if they are apparently happy to countenance a 55-60k stadium at SB (which simply isn't feasible) then they ought to be comfortable with the club moving a few hundred yards along the railway track and so cfcretaining the financial benefits to the area they profess to be so keen to maintain. We should be asking WHY they are so resistant to Chelsea's obvious desire to bring cash and benefits to the project. When you think about it, it doesn't make any sense at all really does it?

Maybe its has to deal w/ history & the fact that people like strolling down the Fulham Broadway Road on Saturdays. Also take a look @ le arse. Has tearing down Highbury & playing @ Emirates really assisted them? I hear that the atmosphere is not the same any longer for le arse & they tried their best to keep the opposing team's fans muted.

The best thing Roman can do for this club is provide us with a suitable home for the next 50-100 years. That's a sign of real commitment and a sure fire way to propel us into the top 5 earners in world football. Hell we could even adopt a similar approach to Arsenal (highbury) and become partners with the firm developing SB, they made a bloody fortune from that.

Roll on a +60k state of the art stadium, would nearly double our match day income if you take into account corporate facilities.

All but a handful of my Arsenal supporting friends have said that their new stadium has ruined what Arsenal meant as a club to them. They used to have a nice ground with a bit of character (part of the reason that Arsenal could build flats at Highbury so well is that 2 stands were listed buildings) and now have a soulless bowl stadium with no atmosphere which shows more regard for the prawn sarnie munchers than the real fans. There is no guarantee that ticket prices will go down or even stay the same should we build a new stadium and look what that has done for Arsenal. We can barely create an atmosphere at Stamford Bridge with ticket prices as they are so I would hate to think what a new stadium would be like with tickets that would probably be even more expensive.

Also, why are so many people under the impression that we would fill a new 60k stadium? We had season tickets practically on general sale 2 years ago, most games have tickets that go to general sale and for COC and FA Cup games we often can't sell out unless the other team takes a large allocation. We would get 50-52k maximum every week in a new stadium IMO and that is with current ticket prices.

Finally, as robdog said, some people have an attachment to the area around Stamford Bridge and the stadium itself. We don't and will not need a new stadium for at least 10 years IMO.

You don't build now you won't be building at all... at least not in the local area (no other sites). Arsenal never had a good atmosphere, Highbury had been a library for a least a decade.

For me the Bridge was ruined the moment they tore down the shed and did away with standing. Its not the fround of my childhood anymore.I'll be sad to see it go, but if they build the kind of ground they proposed for Battersea (biggest single tier stand in Europe), then I feel it would improve atmosphere. Think it would also enable us a chance to make family tickets available, encourage the next generation to the ground.

All but a handful of my Arsenal supporting friends have said that their new stadium has ruined what Arsenal meant as a club to them. They used to have a nice ground with a bit of character (part of the reason that Arsenal could build flats at Highbury so well is that 2 stands were listed buildings) and now have a soulless bowl stadium with no atmosphere which shows more regard for the prawn sarnie munchers than the real fans. There is no guarantee that ticket prices will go down or even stay the same should we build a new stadium and look what that has done for Arsenal. We can barely create an atmosphere at Stamford Bridge with ticket prices as they are so I would hate to think what a new stadium would be like with tickets that would probably be even more expensive.

Also, why are so many people under the impression that we would fill a new 60k stadium? We had season tickets practically on general sale 2 years ago, most games have tickets that go to general sale and for COC and FA Cup games we often can't sell out unless the other team takes a large allocation. We would get 50-52k maximum every week in a new stadium IMO and that is with current ticket prices.

Finally, as robdog said, some people have an attachment to the area around Stamford Bridge and the stadium itself. We don't and will not need a new stadium for at least 10 years IMO.

I sort of agree with you however i strongly believe we would fill 60k a week, providing prices at worst stayed as they are.. Last i checked the list for season ticket holders is still big, and i am sure there are a lot of fans who would go if access to get tickets a bit easier. I don't think a new stadium is absolutely necessary as i very much like the bridge. But having said that i wouldn't be opposed to a new stadium with an increased capacity as it will eventually be the way forward. In an ideal world they would rip out a lot of the annoying uncomfortable seats and have standing areas where you could get at least double the people in and have tickets at around £30.00 for them and then the atmosphere would be back. Admitedly i was not around in the old terracing days but it would obviously emencely improve the atmosphere.

just curious will the new stadium proposal still have the two hotels & the many eating choices that there are @ Da Bridge now??? I am so fucking happy that I had my Fulham Road experience. That can be never taken away from me & I will always dream of strolling down the Fulham Road for a CFC match. That was one of the Best experiences of my life. I can see now why people are soo keen to keep the Blues @ Da Bridge. It is a very unique experience

route2bridge_zps471a5f83.jpg

I can totally relate to The Suggs' Blue Day song..The only other place I rather on a Saturday...Strolling Down the Fulham Road!!!

I'd love to see some standing areas back (great call Hutchi) no reason why they could introduce them again, safety design is so much better these days. They have them in German grounds and it works well, in fact those are the areas where the noise is made. I was young but I'll always remember standing as a lad in the shed, atmosphere was cracking.

Nostalgia is great, but the ground as it stands is not the one of many of our childhoods, it's been torn down and rebuilt so many times. Hell getting in an out is a bitch at the moment.

Had to give up my season ticket this year (commitments at home), but I'd like to renew it soon and as things stand I could be waiting for years. Lower prices for families and bring in category games again and we would have no trouble filling 60k.

Make it do Roman.

• 1 month later...

I remember when the Bridge was quality. When it had the oval around it and blokes used to be able to park their cars behind the goals. what was that all about?!

Disabled access, used to be able to drive into the ground rather than sit in a stand.

I preferred the shed then, cracking atmosphere and constantly moving due crowd surges. The ground as it is today bears no resemblance, and it's for that reason that I don't hold with the nostalgia that some have on here.

I dont fucking care if SB is small and not modern enough, its beautiful to me and it has history, that special something. Not many teams have it anymore.

I would only support expanding it if that would be possible, but moving from this ground is not acceptable. However, eventualy we will move on because of financial add-ons.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont fucking care if SB is small and not modern enough, its beautiful to me and it has history, that special something. Not many teams have it anymore.

I would only support expanding it if that would be possible, but moving from this ground is not acceptable. However, eventualy we will move on because of financial add-ons.

Do you actually attend games? Do you realise not a single structure on that site is original? Most of it is less than 15 years old.