Mikel John Obi

Badboy

people forget when they talk about Mikel playing for nigeria:

he is mostly playing against teams like Burkina Faso or Mali, filled with players who even havent got championship level....

I just wish people would actually watch the AFCON or at least have some idea about African football before making claims about it's level..

You do not get it do you . We gave a player a 5 year deal on big wages ,this is a big statement saying here is our future ,our next manager clearly said this player is not good enough to play an important game and a kid played in his place

,Mourinho probably had no say at all in signing a teenager at that time ,true he was managing the club though ,I would suspect it was Arnesen ,so your Mourinho signed him is rubbish .

Just a minor note since you seem to be basing your whole argument on the "fact" that Mikel was dropped at the end of last season, but I thought you should know that Mikel was injured for the last 3 weeks of the season which is why he didn't participate in any matches.

That being said, even assuming that he was indeed dropped, I cannot see how this is going to be problematic for Jose next season. There is absolutely no logical connection between Mikel signing a 5-year contract then being dropped by a managed that has already departed and Jose having problems with Emenalo.

I just wish people would actually watch the AFCON or at least have some idea about African football before making claims about it's level..

One does not need to actually watch the games to have an opinion. Suffice to look at their World Cup record and compare it to other continents/zones.

Another piece of evidence is the performance of our players when playing for their countries: regardless of how you rate Mikel, he is certainly not as dominant in the BPL; same goes for Moses.

In football, respect is earned and the African nations haven't yet done that.

One does not need to actually watch the games to have an opinion. Suffice to look at their World Cup record and compare it to other continents/zones.

Another piece of evidence is the performance of our players when playing for their countries: regardless of how you rate Mikel, he is certainly not as dominant in the BPL; same goes for Moses.

In football, respect is earned and the African nations haven't yet done that.

Yes. You do actually have to watch the football to get to rate it. I feel weird that I have to point that out.

African nations have constantly made it to the knockout stages of the WC and beat some footballing giants on the way. On their day, any of the top African NTs van beat any of the top European ones.

People like Mikel and Moses play better simply because the system suites them more (PS: how do you know they play better if you never watched it? :P) But that accounts for vet little when some of the best players in Europe like Etoo, Drogba, Tata You're...etc have looked like average players in the AFCON.

I don't know about "respect" but they certainly have quality football in Africa.

Yes. You do actually have to watch the football to get to rate it. I feel weird that I have to point that out.

African nations have constantly made it to the knockout stages of the WC and beat some footballing giants on the way. On their day, any of the top African NTs van beat any of the top European ones.

People like Mikel and Moses play better simply because the system suites them more (PS: how do you know they play better if you never watched it? :P) But that accounts for vet little when some of the best players in Europe like Etoo, Drogba, Tata You're...etc have looked like average players in the AFCON.

I don't know about "respect" but they certainly have quality football in Africa.

They do have quality footballers in Africa...as shown by Ghana's strong presence at the last WC.

But from what i've seen, the AFCON competition is slightly more relaxed in comparison to the PL, UCL, WC....and that's part of the reason why players like Yaya, Eto'o don't show their full ability.

Full credit to Nigeria though, they picked the right tactical system for a fairly young group of players and they showed consistency throughout the competition.

could not disagree more. There is a lot better football to be watched instead.

When an African nation win something or at least make it to a freaking final somewhere, anywhere, then we can have a discussion about quality.

BTW, I invite you to watch every state cup in Brazil. You will get to watch countless 'divisionless' teams playing against the few top sides who are coming from vacation. There will be countless matches to watch. They are all crap, but only after you watch a few matches from one of the states' cup you can then move on to the next state. There are many states, so you will be quite busy for a while... :P

could not disagree more. There is a lot better football to be watched instead.

When an African nation win something or at least make it to a freaking final somewhere, anywhere, then we can have a discussion about quality.

BTW, I invite you to watch every state cup in Brazil. You will get to watch countless 'divisionless' teams playing against the few top sides who are coming from vacation. There will be countless matches to watch. They are all crap, but only after you watch a few matches from one of the states' cup you can then move on to the next state. There are many states, so you will be quite busy for a while... :P

Do Olympics or Confederations cup count?

:eyebrows:

It already happened under Benitez and we went on a great run securing third place when many thought we would not and winning the Europa League ,Rafa embarrased Mikel, to have a kid play in your place in an important game is a big insult ,

Benitez had made up his mind on Mikel ,even Lampard who we were told could not play 2 games a week was playing three at the end. Luiz,Lampard,Ramires,Ake were all in front of Mikel at the end of the season ,he was dropped.

Are you implying that we went on the great winning towards the end of last season, securing 3rd and winning the Europa League all because Mikel didn't play?! if you are, then that is just simply a load of nonsense. We achieved what we did last season because of other factors. Has nothing to do whatsoever with Mikel not playing. The players simply roll up their sleeves and got together to achieve what we need to then. We also relied on some luck, moment of individual brilliance and some heroic defending to get us through. And Rafe embarrassed Mikel? In what way? It's obvious that you don't rate Mikel, like many others here, but if you are say why you don't rate Mikel or why he's horrible, at least get the facts right and stop plucking things from thin air to suit your agenda. As CHOULO has already pointed out, the likes of Luiz, Lampard, Ramires and Ake all played instead of Mikel was simply because he was injured.

Just a minor note since you seem to be basing your whole argument on the "fact" that Mikel was dropped at the end of last season, but I thought you should know that Mikel was injured for the last 3 weeks of the season which is why he didn't participate in any matches.

That being said, even assuming that he was indeed dropped, I cannot see how this is going to be problematic for Jose next season. There is absolutely no logical connection between Mikel signing a 5-year contract then being dropped by a managed that has already departed and Jose having problems with Emenalo.

Mikel was not injured ,Benitez declared him fit for the Villa game in a press conference,perhaps you do not have Chelsea TV? this is a major note in the argument. Make no mistake he was dropped ..

Aston Villa vs Chelsea team news: Lampard gets chance to break the record10 May 2013 10:23

Villans defender Matt Lowton could miss his first game of the season with a thigh strain

Frank-Lampard-1863067.jpgRecord breaker: Lampard is one strike away from being highest ever goal scorer
Getty

Aston Villa right-back Matthew Lowton faces a late fitness test ahead of tomorrow's Barclays Premier League match against Chelsea.

The Villans defender had been ever-present this season until being forced off at Norwich with a thigh strain last weekend and will be assessed later today.

Defender Ciaran Clark (foot) and midfielder Karim El Ahmadi (thigh) are still out, along with long-term absentees Richard Dunne, Marc Albrighton, Gary Gardner and Chris Herd.

Provisional squad: Guzan, Given, Lowton, Vlaar, Lichaj, Stevens, Baker, Bennett, Sylla, Ireland, Westwood, Dawkins, N'Zogbia, Bannan, Holman, Benteke, Agbonlahor, Bent, Bowery, Weimann.

Stoke-City-v-Aston-Villa-Premier-League-Late fitness test: Lowton will be assessed for a thigh strain
Chris Brunskill

Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard will start tomorrow's Barclays Premier League clash at Aston Villa as he bids for the club's goalscoring record, interim manager Rafael Benitez confirmed.

Eden Hazard (calf) and fellow forward Victor Moses (leg) are doubtful, but Blues midfielder John Obi Mikel (hip) is available again as the Europa League finalists focus on their bid for a top-four place.

Ryan Bertrand (knee) is out, but Oriol Romeu is in contention following his long-term absence with a knee problem.

Provisional squad: Cech, Turnbull, Hilario, Cole, Ivanovic, Romeu, Luiz, Terry, Cahill, Azpilicueta, Ramires, Oscar, Mata, Moses, Lampard, Hazard, Torres, Benayoun, Mikel, Marin, Ake, Ferreira, Ba.

Seeing as we like facts on here lets get a few facts ,factually correct .

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-vs-chelsea-team-1879851#ixzz2VzZz5GAu
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Do anyone of you think mikel never fulfilled his potential because of our everchanging managers? I mean everytime he established himself in the first eleven, the manager would change, forcing him to start from square one time and time again. Or is it because he had to adapt from being an AMF to DMF? Or or he simply isn't good enough?? #just a food for thought

@Phil Driver, this was said in Benitez's presser before the Villa game. He was asked about the fitness of some players.

Victor Moses has been limping, Ryan Bertrand is still not available and [John] Mikel Obi was training today, which is good news,' explained the Blues boss.

Source: http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3173003/title/benitez-one-game-away

Him saying Mikel was training today, which is good news then basically meant he hadn't been training before that. Was injured and yet to be fully fit. And even in the pre-Spurs game presser, Benitez said he wasn't available for that one because he still has some pain (with the hip injury).

Moreover, Guardian had Mikel as doubtful for that Villa game.

Doubtful Hazard (calf), Mikel (hip), Moses (thigh), Romeu (match fitness)

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/10/aston-villa-chelsea-squad-sheets

And in the club's website on the squad that traveled to Amsterdam for the Europa League final...

Both Terry and Hazard were withdrawn at Aston Villa on Saturday but join the squad that will train at the Amsterdam Arena on Tuesday evening ahead of Wednesday's match, while Mikel has missed the last four matches with a hip problem.

Source: http://www.chelseafc.com/pre-season-tour-article/article/3178784/title/terry-hazard-and-mikel-travel

Edited by BluesMaster

Are you implying that we went on the great winning towards the end of last season, securing 3rd and winning the Europa League all because Mikel didn't play?! if you are, then that is just simply a load of nonsense. We achieved what we did last season because of other factors. Has nothing to do whatsoever with Mikel not playing. The players simply roll up their sleeves and got together to achieve what we need to then. We also relied on some luck, moment of individual brilliance and some heroic defending to get us through. And Rafe embarrassed Mikel? In what way? It's obvious that you don't rate Mikel, like many others here, but if you are say why you don't rate Mikel or why he's horrible, at least get the facts right and stop plucking things from thin air to suit your agenda. As CHOULO has already pointed out, the likes of Luiz, Lampard, Ramires and Ake all played instead of Mikel was simply because he was injured.

To be fair, seeing a Chelsea team without Mikel was a breath of fresh air.

We got to see other players given a chance in midfield (eg. Luiz and Aké) which is always a good thing

I think José will give Mikel a good old kick up the ass, give him a bit of freedom and see how he goes...at the worst, he can still be a squad midfielder for us.

Mikel was not injured ,Benitez declared him fit for the Villa game in a press conference,perhaps you do not have Chelsea TV? this is a major note in the argument. Make no mistake he was dropped ..

He said in the press conference that Mikel had returned to training but before the match he was declared unfit by the Chelsea twitter account as Jason has pointed it out.

And no, this is not a 'major point'. Even if he was dropped by Benitez, this has almost zero influence on the next season since we are under new management.

To be fair, seeing a Chelsea team without Mikel was a breath of fresh air.

We got to see other players given a chance in midfield (eg. Luiz and Aké) which is always a good thing

I think José will give Mikel a good old kick up the ass, give him a bit of freedom and see how he goes...at the worst, he can still be a squad midfielder for us.

Yeah but that's a complete different matter altogether. And it's not like they only got to play in midfield because of Mikel's absence.

He said in the press conference that Mikel had returned to training but before the match he was declared unfit by the Chelsea twitter account as Jason has pointed it out.

And no, this is not a 'major point'. Even if he was dropped by Benitez, this has almost zero influence on the next season since we are under new management.

That's not true. Mourinho will get swathes of information on the current squad. He will also receive insider's info from the staff , which includes a lot more data/stats than what we have access to (for example fitness levels).

It is likely Mikel will get a chance, esp if we don't sign a new holding mid, but I'd not believe for a second that Mikel's performance last season won't be taken into account by the new management.

BTW, that's assuming Essien does not regain some form.