The Mourinho Thread

What if we win the PL and FA cup?

Would be a very good achievement but 'the best manager in the world' hinges a lot on the CL and how well you do relative to expectations.

The defensive system that Simeone employs is still the best in the world. They 'park the bus' but their first line of defence starts high up the pitch and their very organised, intense pressing (ours is amateurish in comparison) means they concede fewer chances and create more than we do when we play defensively. Every time I watch Atletico in the big games neutralising Madrid and Barca I can't help but think how they'd absolutely thrash City. Did you see how many times Ramos/Varane/Marcelo, technically very good footballers, lost the ball when pressed by Atletico in the game midweek? Imagine how many chances we'd have created through turnovers against City if we pressed Mangala, a technically poor defender, like that in September! Sadly Mourinho prefers passive defending which is not only more boring to watch but is also where individual errors are more common and more costly (e.g. City & United away this year, Atletico at home last year).

Because of Simeone's tactics I fully expect Atletico to go further than us in the CL and maybe even win it. If that happens or if they end up retaining La Liga (I expect they'll win one of the two) then Mourinho could win the FA Cup and PL but would still be behind Simeone.

Would be a very good achievement but 'the best manager in the world' hinges a lot on the CL and how well you do relative to expectations.

Does it? I wouldn't say AncelottI was better than Mou or Fergie despite more CLs.

He was but currently? Not so sure. I personally reckon that by the end of the season Simeone will have fully established himself as the current number 1, if he hasn't already.

wait wait ... what the fuck did Simone achieve to deserve it? :doh: this must be like 3 years ago when folks were thinking Jergen Klopp as the next big thing

wait wait ... what the fuck did Simone achieve to deserve it? :doh: this must be like 3 years ago when folks were thinking Jergen Klopp as the next big thing

Won la liga and reached cl final?

Well I love Mou but even I admit Simeone was much better last year, he won domestic league, we finished 3rd. Not to mention he tacticaly defeated Mou when we lost against Atletico in semis of CL.

To say he achieved all that with much cheaper squad, thanks to his good motivational and tactical skills.

And even this year he is doing very good, keeping close to top, despite selling some of key players and barca/real buying big again.

Klopp has no plan b and is very unlucky with inuries, but his phylosophy is good. Bvb played best football I saw in last few years during 2012-2013, big thanks to Klopp. Losing Lewa and Gotze and replacing them with average players is not his fault either. If Mou sells Hazard and Costa and replaces with players like Imobbile or Mkhitaryan, while facing half injured squad; I wonder how would he keep things together. Sure Klopp is guilty for being in relegation zone, but players were awfull and unlucky too.

Back to Simeone, think he has more options to play. Not as nice football as Klopp, but one that wins you games. However, I wonder if there is another team that Simeone could manage, atm the best teams play possession football, as attractive as possible, while Simeone is not so much suited for it. I wonder how would he do at City or psg where players play very differently from atletico or chelsea.

That said, Simeone deserves to win coach of the year. Ancelotti failed in la liga and got lucky in CL, while Low had by far most complete and grown team in WC to win it (and almost fucked up when he was following Pep "brilliant" tactics by putting Lahm in midfield -.- )

Mou on other hand won nothing last year and tbh, underachieved in PL. Not to say he was outclassed at home against atletico.

The defensive system that Simeone employs is still the best in the world. They 'park the bus' but their first line of defence starts high up the pitch and their very organised, intense pressing (ours is amateurish in comparison) means they concede fewer chances and create more than we do when we play defensively. Every time I watch Atletico in the big games neutralising Madrid and Barca I can't help but think how they'd absolutely thrash City. Did you see how many times Ramos/Varane/Marcelo, technically very good footballers, lost the ball when pressed by Atletico in the game midweek? Imagine how many chances we'd have created through turnovers against City if we pressed Mangala, a technically poor defender, like that in September! Sadly Mourinho prefers passive defending which is not only more boring to watch but is also where individual errors are more common and more costly (e.g. City & United away this year, Atletico at home last year).

Because of Simeone's tactics I fully expect Atletico to go further than us in the CL and maybe even win it. If that happens or if they end up retaining La Liga (I expect they'll win one of the two) then Mourinho could win the FA Cup and PL but would still be behind Simeone.

I'm not sure if I completely agree with everything, particularly the bit about Mourinho preferring passing defending. Our defenders are passive defenders, so that has to be taken into consideration. Terry does try to be proactive, against Spurs he was playing more as midfielder!

I do agree though about our pressing. It's very easy to bypass. At St Mary's, Southampton were playing around our pressing quite easily (even with Matic and Mikel in central midfield).

Does it? I wouldn't say AncelottI was better than Mou or Fergie despite more CLs.

It does play a big part imo at least but Ancelotti has always had a poor league record so he's obviously not better than the 2 mentioned. My point is that when it is very close between managers then the CL can be used as a differential. With Simeone you can guarantee he will not be far off the top of the league by the end of the season (which is a huge achievement in itself given the difference in resources and quality between Atletico and Real/Barca) but if he does go far in the CL as well then he surely has to be considered the current number 1 for sustaining success with a team like Atletico.

Have you been living in a bubble these past few years or something?

I'm not sure if I completely agree with everything, particularly the bit about Mourinho preferring passing defending. Our defenders are passive defenders, so that has to be taken into consideration. Terry does try to be proactive, against Spurs he was playing more as midfielder! I do agree though about our pressing. It's very easy to bypass. At St Mary's, Southampton were playing around our pressing quite easily (even with Matic and Mikel in central midfield).

We did press away to Southampton/Spurs, relatively big away games but our pressing was as you say very easy to bypass. In the biggest away games (e.g. City away, the latter stages of the CL) you can guarantee Mourinho will prefer passive defending and there will be little to no pressing which leads to the kind of performance and result we saw at City away this year and Atletico at home last year. Our defenders don't have to be particularly proactive for a pressing system - Atletico's depends mosty on the midfield and front 2 with the defence sitting relatively deep still. I remember Courtois saying that the defence here play higher up the pitch than they did at Atletico, yet they're the ones with an immaculate pressing system and ours is chaotic and often non-existent.

You're asking him to stop defending the club and say out loud what everyone saw.

Go to sleep mate.

No I'm not.

I'm asking him to stop getting himself in trouble and prompting this situations. Refusing to do PCs breaches FA rules and he can be punished for it, if he is then people will get back on this 'campaign' crap. Shooting himself in the foot.

I love having Mourinho as our coach, there's no question of that. But getting himself in trouble by doing these things doesn't help us or him.

Have you been living in a bubble these past few years or something?

well excuse me.. I didn't reckon winning the Spanish championship once is enough to be considered the best in Europe these days.

The Premier League may fine Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho for failing to attend his pre-match press conference before Saturday's game against Newcastle United.

That better be a wind up!

A very grumpy Mourinho at Friday then. I feel sorry for all the journos that assigned for that pc.

well excuse me.. I didn't reckon winning the Spanish championship once is enough to be considered the best in Europe these days.

Winning La Liga ahead of Barca and Real with a team like Atletico is phenomenal but he's done more than just that. In 3 years managing in Spain he's won 5 trophies whereas Mourinho only won 3 with a much better side. That's not to mention Atletico were less than a minute away from winning the CL too after having completely dominated both Barca and us in the 2nd leg of the QFs and SFs respectively. Interestingly Simeone is the only manager to have ever beaten Mourinho in a final (Copa del Rey 2013) and his big game record is amazing - lost only one of the last 7 games against Barca and has beaten Real in each of the last 3 games. It'll be ridiculous if he doesn't win Coach of the Year.

He has completely transformed Atletico since his arrival. I thnk they were near the bottom when he first took over. I don't care for the best manager in the world label but what he's done at Atletico was something no one thought was possible. And finishing above Barca and Real last season with his team was an historic achievement. What's even more amazing is that they're still competing.

Winning La Liga ahead of Barca and Real with a team like Atletico is phenomenal but he's done more than just that. In 3 years managing in Spain he's won 5 trophies whereas Mourinho only won 3 with a much better side. That's not to mention Atletico were less than a minute away from winning the CL too after having completely dominated both Barca and us in the 2nd leg of the QFs and SFs respectively. Interestingly Simeone is the only manager to have ever beaten Mourinho in a final (Copa del Rey 2013) and his big game record is amazing - lost only one of the last 7 games against Barca and has beaten Real in each of the last 3 games. It'll be ridiculous if he doesn't win Coach of the Year.

That makes him a great coach, not the best. Not right now.