Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree, there has been an incredible drop in intellect on TalkChelsea, but that includes the regular clientèle as much as the staff.

In case you misunderstood, the tags weren't meant to imply that the staff's intellect had declined, it was only to bring to your attention the issue I was talking about. But okay, let's all bash the sheffield turd... this nickname is already growing on me. Why doesn't Mikel have a cool nickname like that? Surely he deserves. How about "Jos Shit"?

To honest Cahill is our best option in my eyes. Terry, Ivanovic, Azi and Cahill is the best 4 this squad can offer. The best answer for this problem was the last transfer window, but right now I trust more in Cahill than in Zouma.

The same thing happen in midfield. After every average performance from Oscar and William, I never ask for Schurlle or Salah, because I know both won't make the team any better.

I would love for us to address the issue this month - however - if we go and buy Varane (the only CB we're "linked" with), he's obviously UCL cup-tied.

In case you misunderstood, the tags weren't meant to imply that the staff's intellect had declined, it was only to bring to your attention the issue I was talking about. But okay, let's all bash the sheffield turd... this nickname is already growing on me. Why doesn't Mikel have a cool nickname like that? Surely he deserves. How about "Jos Shit"?

Ah, my bad, I thought you were criticising the staff :lol:

We have to deal with a lot of petulance sadly. There's no rule about criticising players, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, provided they aren't overly zealous.

As far as I'm concerned, after the squad's performance yesterday, everyone except Diego and Hazard (and Thibaut who can't really have done much more) deserves everything they get.

I would love for us to address the issue this month - however - if we go and buy Varane (the only CB we're "linked" with), he's obviously UCL cup-tied.

Cup tied is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, imagine if we choose Guarin instead of Matic for that reason?

Furthermore in the CL we will probably play a deep block with Mikel and Matic holding, so Cahill will be allright with that type of protection.

Cup tied is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, imagine if we choose Guarin instead of Matic for that reason?

Furthermore in the CL we will probably play a deep block with Mikel and Matic holding, so Cahill will be allright with that type of protection.

Very fair point, just the thought of Cahill picking up Cavani, Lavezzi and Zlatan....

There's no rule about criticising players, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, provided they aren't overly zealous.

Criticism, sure. What about abuse? Did it apply only to Lampard before there was consensus on his betrayal? Now that pretty much everybody is on the same page over his actions, the thread was opened again for brutal crucifiction (which in truth he deserves, but not to the extent of some of the extremeties we see). It is anyway a separate topic altogether, Cahill hasn't betrayed us, he's just going through a rough patch and people instantly turn their backs on him with some of the most shameful comments I've seen.

Criticism, sure. What about abuse? Did it apply only to Lampard before there was consensus on his betrayal? Now that pretty much everybody is on the same page over his actions, the thread was opened again for brutal crucifiction (which in truth he deserves, but not to the extent of some of the extremeties we see). It is anyway a separate topic altogether, Cahill hasn't betrayed us, he's just going through a rough patch and people instantly turn their backs on him with some of the most shameful comments I've seen.

If people want to abuse someone that is their choice, ultimately. But that's what incites arguments, which is one of the major reasons why threads like this are locked.

There is no black and white, there is a huge grey area where and it makes these forums horrible to moderate consistently.

But anyway, let's not derail this topic, PM me if you want to continue this conversation mate :)

I have never seen such dramatic drop in form in recent times since Torres, he went from being one of the best defender in the league and Europe last season to one of the worst this season. The need for a new top class CB has become crucial than ever. Cahill, while I do rate him more than most on here, is simply not talented and good enough to be a starting CB for a big club with aspirations in the long run.

Agreed, the need is dire now, absolutely dire we need one ASAP after a few shaky games I can't believe the club hasnt done it already. Buy hummels now. £45m.

Jk :( no one called for JT to be dropped after the Southampton game, no one called for JT to be dropped 2008-2011..

This is when big managers and big players step up, we have big managers, big players and I count gary in that.

As I said, not world class, but doesnt have to be when our team is back to basics of where we found success this season.

Too much hate for 1 player. We didn't concede 5 goals because Cahill was bad, we conceded because of our terrible organisation at the back. They had way too much space, even Matic and especially Fabregas didn't help the defenders how they had to.

He should at least be rested for a few games, Zouma can easily fill his shoes for the interim and it will be valuable experience for the fella. Also bench Ivan indefinitely or retrain him as a CB, we are only cheating ourselves by not using Azpi on the right.

Recall Bertrand for next summer please, no need to spend when we have our own in house one ready as a backup.

I have never seen such dramatic drop in form in recent times since Torres, he went from being one of the best defender in the league and Europe last season to one of the worst this season. The need for a new top class CB has become crucial than ever. Cahill, while I do rate him more than most on here, is simply not talented and good enough to be a starting CB for a big club with aspirations in the long run.

Glad it's not just me who's seen this. Last year he was absolutely class. I've been critical of him nearly all season, but people were practically calling me insane for saying so. The penny seems to have dropped, though the most disappointing thing is I was advocating Luiz's sale based on Cahill's form last season....

Don't think that's the point of the discussion.

We are merely thinking ahead. We are considering, before it happens, whether our once successful CB pairing will remain as successful as Jose changes the system; whatever helped them last season (deep line, protection) may not be the same this time around. By the end of last season our defense line wasn't as sharp (results and goals conceded against nobodies attest to that) and I reckon it was because the protection wasn't as sharp either - they were more exposed.

Cahill's weak technically... His long balls are pretty poor, and he usually just doesn't every try them. He's got an OK first touch, adequate for a no-nonsense CB, but he's got to give the ball to a teammate ASAP esp when under pressure. These are limitations that can be exploited - it's never binary like some here say: solid non-solid/liability, mistakes vs no mistakes.

He's a good player, but hardly a top CB for me. Godin is twice the player IMO. I'd have gone for Godin instead of Luis, because for me Atletico's spine was formed by Courtois, Godin, and Costa. Their midfield was good too, but more about hardworking players than quality.

Way back then a number of us warned about this. * shameless self-quoting on my part.

Cahill is not in bad form; he's playing his usual solid, decent, game. The protection around him is what has changed and he is struggling because he's now very exposed to attackers pace, skill, and power. It was no accident that he was doing so well for Chelsea last season and then suddenly, not so well for England.

Again, he's not a terrible player, but he's not and never will be (at 29) world class either. As Terry ages and loses pace and power, we will need a proper replacement. Perhaps it's already past due as Terry shouldn't be playing twice a week+ as he has done lately. I think we missed out on Godin, but as we change the system, perhaps we want a different type of defender: a ball playing one, like Luiz, without Luiz eccentricity.