Stamford Bridge Thread

10 hours ago, Unionjack said:

I'm sure Iggy will have an answer for you too my friend but as you are a long standing supporter you will know exactly the kind of 'daytripper' he means!

The ones that sit with their laptops and mobiles taking selfies and are posted onto various social media accounts before the match is ended.

The ones that look at us in shock,awe and disgust for venting our anger at the ref or having a sing song.

These 'daytrippers' know sod all about football and even less anout Chelsea. They go for various reasons. We have become a part of the tourist industry. Guys want to boast to their mates around the coffee machine at the office they were slumming it with the pie and mash lot. For whatever reason the ground is over run with the b;ighters! And it will only get worse with a bigger ground and the more silverware we win.

I liked the days before the tourists came. We didnt win bugger all but it was a great craic following the lads.

I see what you mean and I agree with you 100%. I  probably got the jist of what Iggy was saying slightly distorted. But I am to a degree a "day Tripper" and would hate to feel that our support would mean any less than fans who attend week in week out. I hadn't really thought about the "laptop brigade":blush:but thanks for reminding me about those wasters supporters

I have just had a brainwave.....Over here in Ireland where I live, we have loads of green fields where a new stadium could be built, traffic wouldn't be a big problem and I only live 40 mins from Dublin Airport. Our Government takes the cheapest corporation tax in the world and they would let us build as big a stadium as we liked (as long as the right hands are greased :P) And if all you guys came over every second weekend you could party all weekend in Dublin before going back. And with the money the country would take in, we would be able to repay England for the large bailout we got from you during our "crash" in 2008.

We didnt win bugger all but it was a great craic following the lads.

Oh happy days, watching us take a 2-0 lead , only to lose 2-3. Then spending the night getting blotto and telling anyone who'd listen how i would have done a better job..And a marquee signing for us was Duncan McKenzie from Everton !!! The joys of supporting Chelsea

29 minutes ago, Starman60 said:

Oh happy days, watching us take a 2-0 lead , only to lose 2-3. Then spending the night getting blotto and telling anyone who'd listen how i would have done a better job..And a marquee signing for us was Duncan McKenzie from Everton !!! The joys of supporting Chelsea

Do you remember the old shack (that’s the only way to describe it) that doubled as a ticket office and merchandise shop? I turned up there one day to buy some tickets (a very rare event in those days of pay on the turnstile) and Duncan was in there, new fag on, old one still hot in the ashtray, chatting up the girls in the office. He looked totally disgusted that they had to take their attention off him for a minute to sell me three tickets and a mug.

Even back then I thought to myself, chain smoker, that explains a lot!

1 hour ago, Starman60 said:

I see what you mean and I agree with you 100%. I  probably got the jist of what Iggy was saying slightly distorted. But I am to a degree a "day Tripper" and would hate to feel that our support would mean any less than fans who attend week in week out. I hadn't really thought about the "laptop brigade":blush:but thanks for reminding me about those wasters supporters

I have just had a brainwave.....Over here in Ireland where I live, we have loads of green fields where a new stadium could be built, traffic wouldn't be a big problem and I only live 40 mins from Dublin Airport. Our Government takes the cheapest corporation tax in the world and they would let us build as big a stadium as we liked (as long as the right hands are greased :P) And if all you guys came over every second weekend you could party all weekend in Dublin before going back. And with the money the country would take in, we would be able to repay England for the large bailout we got from you during our "crash" in 2008.

Only if we could get Guinness to sponser us. But cant see them changing the color to blue tho.

But yes mate you git the jist of what we mean by daytrippers. They seem to get corporate freebies from wherever their offices are in town whilst some chap thats followed them man and boy now cant afford one. Its all down to large corporations grabbing as much money as they can wherever and whenever possible.

I was talking the other day how different it is to be an annual mid table club. They have no pressures at all as nobody expects much from them. They can ecperiment as much as they want with players,formations etc. And have that luxury to be able to buy good players from lower leagues because they are probably at their standard.

If we could take a couple of seasons like that where Roman agreed to give whatever nanager we had his full support so they could strip us down from the board to the academy. Wake up Uj youre dreaming again mate!

13 hours ago, Starman60 said:

Hi Iggy, I would just like to say I agree with you to a point. I too would hate West Hams ground. But I'm a tad offended by your " proper fans no day trippers". i am a club member, been supporting the Chels for 48 years,used to go to all the home and away matched in the late 70's (when we were shit :P) when I lived in London. But I now live in Ireland. This makes it kinda tough to attend every match but I get over when I can. So I would be one of these "Day trippers" you speak about. But this doesn't make me any less of a fan. We may not always be there but we are the face of Chelsea around the world and without us the club would be a whole lot poorer. I would love to attend every game again, but for me to attend a match and staying in London plus flights is expensive so not possible all the time. So please dont call us day trippers or tourists. We, or at least I,feel I am a genuine supporter, who just cant make every game.

Your 100% right the day tripper I mean are the sort of middle class tosspots who when in London go to the theatre and says '' Shall we also take in a soccer match?'' they can afford to buy the most expensive tickets and just sit there motionless for 90 minutes. All old Chelsea fans are welcome of course but I would want genuine Chelsea fans old and young not  tourists  I remember a couple of years ago this American bloke referring to Cech as the goaler !!. But I really am dreading Wembley I think our support is going to go through a hard time if it's four years at Wembley.

52 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Do you remember the old shack (that’s the only way to describe it) that doubled as a ticket office and merchandise shop? I turned up there one day to buy some tickets (a very rare event in those days of pay on the turnstile) and Duncan was in there, new fag on, old one still hot in the ashtray, chatting up the girls in the office. He looked totally disgusted that they had to take their attention off him for a minute to sell me three tickets and a mug.

Even back then I thought to myself, chain smoker, that explains a lot!

And Duncan McKenzie jumping over mini's when he was at Leeds. I remember when we lost 3-1 against Spurs in 78 Duncan McKenzie doing a lovely chip and Tommy Langley scoring a bicycle kick. Problem was I was in the Northstand my older brother insisting we went in there as he was paying me in and he said our mum would have gone mad if we'd split up. Absolute bollocks of course I'd been to Chelsea on my own and with my mates several times before I was 12 in 1978. Comfortably the worst day I've ever had supporting Chelsea I had to stand still when Langley scored and do a sort of little jump when they scored again instructed by elder brother who still reminds me of it today :rant:

2 hours ago, Iggy Doonican said:

And Duncan McKenzie jumping over mini's when he was at Leeds. I remember when we lost 3-1 against Spurs in 78 Duncan McKenzie doing a lovely chip and Tommy Langley scoring a bicycle kick. Problem was I was in the Northstand my older brother insisting we went in there as he was paying me in and he said our mum would have gone mad if we'd split up. Absolute bollocks of course I'd been to Chelsea on my own and with my mates several times before I was 12 in 1978. Comfortably the worst day I've ever had supporting Chelsea I had to stand still when Langley scored and do a sort of little jump when they scored again instructed by elder brother who still reminds me of it today :rant:

The only game I ever watched from the North Stand was the famous Clive Walker game vs Bolton. No problem that day because we were top right (facing the pitch) and the Bolton fan were way over to the left and there were only 17,000 there that day, hardly any of them Bolton. 

57 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

The only game I ever watched from the North Stand was the famous Clive Walker game vs Bolton. No problem that day because we were top right (facing the pitch) and the Bolton fan were way over to the left and there were only 17,000 there that day, hardly any of them Bolton. 

Fucking hell !!! I was in the North Stand that day too.  Bolton very happy at 2-0 and we were going to bugger off to the pub.......Enter Clive Flasher Walker. At the final whistle you'd have thought we won the Champions League !! That's the Chelsea I love and want to remember

40 minutes ago, Starman60 said:

Fucking hell !!! I was in the North Stand that day too.  Bolton very happy at 2-0 and we were going to bugger off to the pub.......Enter Clive Flasher Walker. At the final whistle you'd have thought we won the Champions League !! That's the Chelsea I love and want to remember

You weren’t up from Southampton with your girlfriend that you had just got engaged to were you?

We were in North Stand because we were late so we dived in there rather than walk round to The Shed. That meant it was a bunch of new people around us that we didn’t know. Got chatting to those two and made a nice afternoon of it.

By the way, we were three down when Walker came on to spark the miracle come back. I remember we had been singing for him to come on the whole second half. The place went wild when was finally brought on with less than 20 minutes to go. The rest is history. The ref said afterward that, despite having reffed in front of 100,000 at Wembley, that was the loudest noice he ever heard in a football ground. 

10 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

You weren’t up from Southampton with your girlfriend that you had just got engaged to were you?

We were in North Stand because we were late so we dived in there rather than walk round to The Shed. That meant it was a bunch of new people around us that we didn’t know. Got chatting to those and made a nice afternoon of it.

By the way, we were three down when Walker came on to spark the miracle come back. I remember we had been singing for him to come on the whole second half. The place went wild when was finally brought on with less than 20 minutes to go. The ref said afterward that, despite having reffed in front of 100,000 at Wembley, that was the loudest noice he ever heard in a football ground. 

No thank God I wasn't the one who got engaged :D I still tell people about the atmosphere after that game.A old damp miserable day, freezing our bollox off, 0-3 playing like shite... Then the "miracle of Stamford Bridge" happened. I have never ever ever seen a Chelsea team do anything like it since. Bolton were shell-shocked at the final whistle

• 3 weeks later...
Bad. We are the only big club in Europe really with a small sized stadium, and the more you delay, the harder it is to get the job done.
It was supposedly the reason we weren't spending much, but it could have a more significant meaning. Roman's personal issues will certainly have a negative effect.