How Are You Feeling?

epicsarah-ous

It's difficult to be motivated for uni. Really difficult. I fucking hate it, I've barely learned anything from uni that's related to what I want to do, which is write biography. I love studying people - significant historical figures. My interest in history as in analysing a period of time or societal trends isn't really there, I only study it to provide context so I can better understand the circumstances of a personality. This has been yet another delayed self-discovery I made in recent months but nearly 3 years in it's late to do much about it.

I can make a comparison with studying economics if it's of help. What I'm doing right now is the historical equivalent of macroeconomics: looking at the bigger picture, looking at organisations and governments instead of individuals; basically studying without any specific focus. What I want to do is study at a microeconomic level - look at the people who made the times (and why they made them so) rather than the times people made, if I'm making any sense. Macro-history is useful for context but otherwise I have little interest in it. People on the other hand are absolutely fascinating. People who amassed significant political capital during their lives are even more fascinating - examining how and why a personality develop the way it did is what I'm about.

Biography isn't a discipline in itself, it must go through the framework of history and in this country, you don't qualify to be one unless you graduate with honours. This is the source of a great indecisiveness in me. The requirements to study honours in history at my uni are fairly well within my grasp. But because I don't like the way history is taught and because I don't like the campus life, I want to transfer to another university, one that has a substantially better humanities faculty and programme than where I go today; and one that has a much more friendly campus. The people at my uni are from my observation, extremely bland and boring, superficial, narrow minded and in general, not people I would like to get to know.

The problem is that the honours requirements at the place I would like to go are certain to be far steeper. In addition there are far more students at top end of the Bell Curve so my competition will be fiercer. So I don't know what to do - back myself to elevate my current writing ability by a substantial amount or go down the easy but infuriating path. It's a tough decision.

It's also made tougher by the uncertainties surrounding the government-funded student loan in Australia at the moment. Right now I am exempt from having to pay the proposed (have they passed the Senate yet?) changes to rates and will remain so until I complete my Bachelor's. Honours will probably be charged at the new rates no matter where I go. But if I transfer to a new institute then I'm not sure what will happen. I may lose my exempt status and be forced to pay the new rates which are American Ivy League style exorbitant - $16000 per year to study history (for fuck's sake!) charged at credit card interest rates. I may become saddled with debt entering a profession that's hardly lucrative.

I will tell you one thing. Find what interests you and look for the degree that maches this the best without a seconds thought on future perspective.

Pursue this with a passion. If you are truly Cap, and you know how to reach people like this, id pass you as a professor.

Just find the right motivation, what do YOU wanna learn about?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How bad mate?

Very. My boss had a meeting for a prison design on a contract worth tens of thousands of pounds and wanted me to print off the designs and I thought they were for Wednesday and they needed to be given to him today, leaving him fucked for the meeting with the client this evening

Very. My boss had a meeting for a prison design on a contract worth tens of thousands of pounds and wanted me to print off the designs and I thought they were for Wednesday and they needed to be given to him today, leaving him fucked for the meeting with the client this evening

Ouch. Very Ouch. You came clean and didnt bs?

I'm fucked at the moment. I have had two days off work all year, no days off ill and I am now running on empty. I have a week off booked in for two weeks time to spend with my lads and I am going to take full advantage of it.

But, not one to complain because there are people out there worse off than me, and the fact I have a healthy family, it's all good.

Nursery where work closing.parents either emotional or off with us as reckon we knew a while go.hmm.job hunting I go

My wife works in a nursery so I can imagine exactly what you are going through. I hope you get something sorted.

• 3 weeks later...

Come into work and half my team havent turned up. Lazy cunts, still i am not going to have a go at them as i am pretty spaced myself from rough cider, sex adn drugs.and we're going to win the league. Feeling great :yay: :blue scalf: