La Liga Thread

Steve

Is it like Alaska and Hawaii to USA?

Yeah they belong to America, but they are like their own country!

Lol no, it works differently than that :) As far as i know hawaii and alaska have never really fought to go back to autonomy from the americans, and they work as states, just like every other state does.

What happens in spain though, to make a comparison, is that, like us and our civil war, they had a war that divided the country up about 60-70 years ago, over the centuries america has not garnered the attributes of independence that spain has overall. Spain has always been different in history, but when franco which was like a spanish hitler ( to put it in lamest terms..:D) executed his power and the spain, he made all these autonomous sectors like basque country and catalunya, and sevilla suffer with death and persecution.

Basques are more cool about it now though, there is still some prejudice, but all that suffering was in the 1940's and many have passed through that now.

But the catalans will always claim to be catalans with their own language that indeed preceded spanish it self.

They are not their own country. They just like to think they area. If we are going to go down this route then several teams in La Liga would not be considered 'Spanish'. Espanyol and Barcelona would be Catalan, Real Sociedad and Athletic Bilbao would be Basque and Celta Vigo and Deportivo La Coruna would be Galacian.

The way I see it, the Catalonian region has a slightly different culture and a different language but then the same thing could be said of many other regions of Spain. The Basques don't seem as bothered about independence especially since the ETA has gone all quiet. Galacia just has a different language and some people think it is more Portuguese than Spanish.

They are not their own country. They just like to think they area. If we are going to go down this route then several teams in La Liga would not be considered 'Spanish'. Espanyol and Barcelona would be Catalan, Real Sociedad and Athletic Bilbao would be Basque and Celta Vigo and Deportivo La Coruna would be Galacian.

The way I see it, the Catalonian region has a slightly different culture and a different language but then the same thing could be said of many other regions of Spain. The Basques don't seem as bothered about independence especially since the ETA has gone all quiet. Galacia just has a different language and some people think it is more Portuguese than Spanish.

Thats not exactly the context i was expressing the point with though.

The catalans, are fiercest rivals against spanish nationalism, they have their own language which they fight for, and they are agressive to a certain degree about it. Fc barcelona has always worn the colors of catalunya in their flag, and pronounce their culture in every way, in their kits, in their interviews..

Fc barcelona is catalan, no one said its a legitimate country, but it sees it self as that, fc barcelona is CATALAN, leif made it sound like he wants to see some Spanish pride, well then fc barcelona aint the place.

Thats not exactly the context i was expressing the point with though.

The catalans, are fiercest rivals against spanish nationalism, they have their own language which they fight for, and they are agressive to a certain degree about it. Fc barcelona has always worn the colors of catalunya in their flag, and pronounce their culture in every way, in their kits, in their interviews..

Fc barcelona is catalan, no one said its a legitimate country, but it sees it self as that, fc barcelona is CATALAN, leif made it sound like he wants to see some Spanish pride, well then fc barcelona aint the place.

TMO I got a question.

Is La Liga very popular in Asia and USA like the PL?

Cause as far from what I see here, people only care for 2 teams....that does not sounds a very exciting league to me.

While in the PL there are so many teams to follow.

Whats your view on this? And if you got articles and such to prove your points, it will be awesome!

Thanks.

TMO I got a question.

Is La Liga very popular in Asia and USA like the PL?

Cause as far from what I see here, people only care for 2 teams....that does not sounds a very exciting league to me.

While in the PL there are so many teams to follow.

Whats your view on this? And if you got articles and such to prove your points, it will be awesome!

Thanks.

I'm more than glad to answer your questions, as they are almost always very interesting :dance::clown:

More than the entire leagues them selves, Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Manchester United are the main reasons why the asians even watch those leagues, then as they know more and more about the history of such leagues, they educate them selves more about the sport, and then it becomes a nation wide thing, in asia and basically around the world it is these kind of teams that open up the whole market and people.

Juventus and Ac Milan are also two big power houses.

Real Madrid will build an island resort near the middle east, and it has built football institutions around the world for young talents to enjoy them selves. In fact there have been recent talks of moving the spanish super cup to CHINA on about a 5 year contract but its been in the news that ( im not sure i think its only madrid) madrid and barcelona are going to oppose to the move there, sergio ramos has actually gone out to the press against the idea. The chinese like these teams, so do the japanese, thats why the chinese were going to pay liga bbva millions for the 5 year contract.

When it comes to USA, i live here and i can tell you that theres a wide hispanic population and they are all either Real Madrid Or Barca at the very least, even if they arent their main teams, football is big in america mainly around people from football loving countries like mexico, and central and south america.

Just remember, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United, Juventus, and AC Milan are the power houses, followed by Chelsea, Man city, etc, these are the teams that have opened up people to the leagues. In then end its all about football, some just care about madrid and barca in la liga but for good reason, but some people expand to teams like valencia, and atheltic bilbao.

I dare say Rm and Barca > Epl world wide alone. under a certain context.

article-1312991154304-0D449DBB00000578-224890_636x407.jpg

002564baf2f90dc9938e47.jpg

ManUtdTeamGET_468x319.jpg

http://www.marca.com...1339953138.html

Just remember, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United, Juventus, and AC Milan are the power houses, followed by Chelsea, Man city, etc, these are the teams that have opened up people to the leagues. In then end its all about football, some just care about madrid and barca in la liga but for good reason, but some people expand to teams like valencia, and atheltic bilbao.

There was a study that came out a month ago. Manchester United are the most popular team in the world followed by Barcelona, Madrid, Chelsea, and Arsenal. The Premier League is the most popular and the most watched league in the world. Of course, popularity will ebb and flow based on success. Many many supporters will abandon clubs if they go through a dry spell and a team that has success will draw in millions of new fans.

Not an answer I was expecting.

Well let me give my take:

Madrid and Barcelona might be the best team in the galaxy, but facts are facts!

More money is coming to the PL because is more attractive to watch.

The TV deals that are being paid for PL matches are proves for themselves:

3+PL+TV+Rights.jpg

11+PL+TV+Rights+by+Country.jpg

New contract that will take place in 2014, where payout for TV rights will be higher.

10+PL+Distrib+Overseas.jpg

12+PL+TV+by+Club.jpg

Hm i never intended to compare la liga and epl, not of my interest as it is common knowledge that epl is most watched in planet, and other numbers come with it.

I took your question as a question asking how popular Real Madrid and Barcelona and thus la liga are in asia and Usa and i can tell you that they are very popular, its obvious.

Just Real Madrid and Barca attract so much, epl has on its side that it has plenty of big name teams to support its attraction.

Hm i never intended to compare la liga and epl, not of my interest as it is common knowledge that epl is most watched in planet, and other numbers come with it.

I took your question as a question asking how popular Real Madrid and Barcelona are in asia and Usa and i can tell you that they are very popular, its obvious.

Just Real Madrid and Barca attract so much, epl has on its side that it has plenty of big name teams to support its attraction.

And that is the problem for leagues to grow.

When 1 or 2 team gain so much power over the other it becomes dead.

Like a SPL where a lot of people will tune for the Celtic vs Rangers game, and everything is less.

And that is the problem for leagues to grow.

When 1 or 2 team gain so much power over the other it becomes dead.

Like a SPL where a lot of people will tune for the Celtic vs Rangers game, and everything is less.

Ya, the tv money, and all that only makes it worse.

Go here for more info about it

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/

Ya, the tv money, and all that only makes it worse.

Go here for more info about it

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/

So do you think in La Liga it should be a equal share of TV revenue like in the PL?

Or that Madrid and Barcelona get their own contract and make more then the rest?

So do you think in La Liga it should be a equal share of TV revenue like in the PL?

Or that Madrid and Barcelona get their own contract and make more then the rest?

I only care for my madrid when it comes to la liga..so theres your answer :D

Basque Pride ! They are autonomous too :) but they are more cool about it.

http://en.wikipedia....mous_community)

Xabi Alonso is basque.

More coo about it? You mean like ETA and their car bombs and assassinations? The Basques are, unlike the Catalans, a separate ethnic group with a language that's not even related to the romance languages in the area. Catalonia is somewhat like Scotland is to England, connected and similar in many ways, but still a separate entity. The Basques are sort of like the Kurds, an ethnic group who was enormously oppressed by the government, has their own language, and whose boundaries are in multiple countries (Spain and France) and feel they deserve their own country.