Josh McEachran

Term-X

He only lost his starting place in the last friendly and that's only because of his club form (but then he came on in the second half and won and scored a pen). From the matches I've seen he has been brilliant, in fact in those matches you mentioned I thought he had a much better performance than Chalobah who (despite almost scoring a wonder goal in the last one) was a bit sloppy with his passing.

He didn't start either of the play-offs against Serbia (behind Lowe and Rodwell) and I'm not sure he's played consistently for the u21s at all this season.

He was good against the 9 men of Austria but the standout man in those two fixtures was Chalobah who I didn't think was at all sloppy with his passing.

It seems unfair to keep comparing the two, but they're similar ages and in similar positions but one has just had a much better last 12 months than the other. Any criticism of McEachran is seen as 'writing him off' but there are concerns around him. I honestly don't know what the best thing for him to do next season is because finding the right environment for him is going to be tricky.

He didn't start either of the play-offs against Serbia (behind Lowe and Rodwell) and I'm not sure he's played consistently for the u21s at all this season.

He was good against the 9 men of Austria but the standout man in those two fixtures was Chalobah who I didn't think was at all sloppy with his passing.

It seems unfair to keep comparing the two, but they're similar ages and in similar positions but one has just had a much better last 12 months than the other. Any criticism of McEachran is seen as 'writing him off' but there are concerns around him. I honestly don't know what the best thing for him to do next season is because finding the right environment for him is going to be tricky.

Well I thought Josh was brilliant whenever I watched him with U21, it could be because I really love his type of player, he has the ability to be the perfect deep lying play maker. His passing is just sublime when he actually has movement around him. He just controls the whole game. In the championship there is no doubt that Chalobah is doing better, but if I am managing that England U21 team I would start Josh over Nathanial who technically is just not yet up to McEachran's level.

Well I thought Josh was brilliant whenever I watched him with U21, it could be because I really love his type of player, he has the ability to be the perfect deep lying play maker. His passing is just sublime when he actually has movement around him. He just controls the whole game. In the championship there is no doubt that Chalobah is doing better, but if I am managing that England U21 team I would start Josh over Nathanial who technically is just not yet up to McEachran's level.

Technically he might not be up to his level, but if I wanted a player who influenced a game and actually did stuff more consistently then I'd pick Chalobah every time.

When you say you like 'his type of player', what do you mean? He's a fantastic passer of the ball, under the right circumstances. But Chalobah is a fantastic distributer and recycler of the ball too. He also offers something in defence, contributes assists to the team and scores goals.

I also have worries over Josh's tendency to let his head drop when the pressure is on. He's really got to man-up a little bit and learn to impose himself on matches when he has the ball and when he doesn't, otherwise he becomes a passenger and that's not something you can have even if you're a deeplying playmaker. He should look at players like Modric who play that position but have tremendous workrates in their game - the same can't be said of Josh at the moment.

Technically he might not be up to his level, but if I wanted a player who influenced a game and actually did stuff more consistently then I'd pick Chalobah every time.

When you say you like 'his type of player', what do you mean? He's a fantastic passer of the ball, under the right circumstances. But Chalobah is a fantastic distributer and recycler of the ball too. He also offers something in defence, contributes assists to the team and scores goals.

I also have worries over Josh's tendency to let his head drop when the pressure is on. He's really got to man-up a little bit and learn to impose himself on matches when he has the ball and when he doesn't, otherwise he becomes a passenger and that's not something you can have even if you're a deeplying playmaker. He should look at players like Modric who play that position but have tremendous workrates in their game - the same can't be said of Josh at the moment.

Yeah, they're different players. Nathanial can often be more influential on a game, but in the right team, Josh can be an amazing player. By a player of his type I meant a player who has the technical ability, tactical awareness and vision to run the game from deep like Xavi and Pirlo (not that Josh is anywhere near them atm). It may not be the most effective style at times, but I just love watching players like that.

Josh definitely still has A LOT to work on, but there is still hope because this type of players are usually late bloomers because their role requires great experience and tactical awareness. I'm disappointed of how much Josh's performance drops when his team is not playing well. But tbf, even Chalobah had a few anonymous performances when Watford had a few bad games at the start of April. It is understandable at their age, though with Josh it does seem that he is affected much more than others.

Should loan Josh to Watford next season along with Chalobah (if that's possible). I think he's failed (in a way) at Boro simply because they prefer to play without a playmaker. Very few teams in the Championship actually have proper roles for their players since they just want to find the win in any way possible. But Watford like using playmakers and Josh could be a slight upgrade to what they have currently.

• 2 weeks later...

Josh is coming along more slowly than we expected ,but we should give him all the time he needs because he is a class footballer and patience will be the key with him ,I would give him at east another two years on loan before we make a judgement on his future ,he looks like a late developer.

He has just come back from holiday, I wouldn't fret and he'll still probably come to Asia in the normal friendlies. Bamford and Billy Clifforf and Saville (the latter two have been on friendly squads before) have also all finished their seasons but aren't going.

if there is anybody to be mentioned above McEachran as talents then it has to be Boga or Swift... don't know why he doesn't get a crack at the bench... what a freak'n player his vision is more frightning then Joshs...

I want him loaned to a decent team, no Middlesborough type of teams anymore!

I personally don't rank him that high, but it is not time to give up on him yet. There are late bloomers that surprises us sometimes and at least we know he has got some talent inside him...

He is still very raw though!