25. Moisés Caicedo

James

1 hour ago, robsblubot said:

indeed.

What scares me tho is that our hopes lie on a 19yo who was playing Championship just a moment ago. Feels like way too much pressure on these very young players.

He was playing in the PL with Southampton last year 

1 minute ago, robsblubot said:

I'm aware. Is that a good thing tho? considering where they ended up? 😅

Managing to stand out as a teenager in a struggling team is always good 

3 hours ago, lucio said:

Managing to stand out as a teenager in a struggling team is always good 

Fun fact (although you prob know already), but SC Internacional faced a small team in Brazil called Guara for the Brazilian cup in 1997. The game was away from home and ended 0x7 for Internacional. One would think there was nothing salvageable from Guara, but Internacional decided to sign Guara's CB on the spot ... yup after they conceded 7 goals in a match!

You might be familiar with the player: a Lucimar Ferreira da Silva (aka Lucio). 😉

Edited by robsblubot

9 hours ago, robsblubot said:

Fun fact (although you prob know already), but SC Internacional faced a small team in Brazil called Guara for the Brazilian cup in 1997. The game was away from home and ended 0x7 for Internacional. One would think there was nothing salvageable from Guara, but Internacional decided to sign Guara's CB on the spot ... yup after they conceded 7 goals in a match!

You might be familiar with the player: a Lucimar Ferreira da Silva (aka Lucio). 😉

we sure as hell could use prime Lucio now

and from before him

prime Dunga

😓

Edited by Vesper

15 hours ago, robsblubot said:

indeed.

What scares me tho is that our hopes lie on a 19yo who was playing Championship just a moment ago. Feels like way too much pressure on these very young players.

Few years ago when we had the transfer ban, half of our starting eleven(James, Mount, Tomori, Reece, Abraham) came from the Championship. 

Lavia is young but he trained and appeared for City under Guardiola and has one full PL-season. We should manage our expectations accordingly but he does have the foundatons.

Edited by nyikolajevics

7 hours ago, nyikolajevics said:

Few years ago when we had the transfer ban, half of our starting eleven(James, Mount, Tomori, Reece, Abraham) came from the Championship. 

Lavia is young but he trained and appeared for City under Guardiola and has one full PL-season. We should manage our expectations accordingly but he does have the foundatons.

yeah @bluesman2610 mentioned the city academy above and that's indeed reassuring. You guys have seen more of him, so I hope you are right and he can improve our team from the get-go. First he needs to get and remain fit. 😕 

1 hour ago, Fulham Broadway said:

What the fuck was that hands behind the back shit allowing Boros goal ? 

Embarrassing. Not the first time he has let someone run off him, his awareness is shocking. Liverpool, United and Brighton probably all pissing themselves that we paid £115m for him.

Yes he isn’t playing well but fucking hell, do the basics at least. Not difficult to follow someone.

Edited by OneMoSalah

7 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Embarrassing. Not the first time he has let someone run off him, his awareness is shocking. Liverpool, United and Brighton probably all pissing themselves that we paid £115m for him.

Yes he isn’t playing well but fucking hell, do the basics at least. Not difficult to follow someone.

His awareness is the most shocking aspect for me. I have mentioned elsewhere in the thread that he is all over the place when it comes to positioning, which I get a great view of owing to where I have my season ticket. 

if he never recovers form, you could make a strong case he is the biggest flop in football history in terms of players £75m and up

I mean not just with us, I mean the worst career if he never regains form

only other 2 close are Antony and he was around £30m less, and Sancho, who did have multiple great years before Manure

wildcard would be Enzo, but I cannot see him flopping anything like those 3, so far

59 minutes ago, Vesper said:

if he never recovers form, you could make a strong case he is the biggest flop in football history in terms of players £75m and up

I mean not just with us, I mean the worst career if he never regains form

only other 2 close are Antony and he was around £30m less, and Sancho, who did have multiple great years before Manure

wildcard would be Enzo, but I cannot see him flopping anything like those 3, so far

I think Antony has a better chance than Sancho. Antony is "just" decisions, he seems to have everything else avail in his tool box. Sancho, I just don't see it... looks pretty average to me.

Caicedo is playing more or less of what I was expecting of him. Folks above are talking about awareness, and I would point out to big fish in a small team factor, where he can run everywhere because there would be more positioned players covering him. Now he is the one covering.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I have seen enough. Anyone who had this kid down as a must buy/good signing/thinking he was going to become a top player needs to be put into the same category of poster that defended/supported the Lukaku return. 

Edited by King Kante

25 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Sorry, I have seen enough. Anyone who had this kid down as a must buy/good signing/thinking he was going to become a top player needs to be put into the same category of poster that defended/supported the Lukaku return. 

I had him as a buy but not for 100 million. The price tag was over killed and the problem is the board letting them go nuts just to get their man. 

1 hour ago, King Kante said:

Don't forget that Liverpool were also prepared to pay over £100 million for Caicedo. 

I think that the problem is that Caicedo is playing in a team has no cohesion whatsoever and rely upon individual moments of brilliance to win their matches. Things like playing through the press, organising your own press, organising a defence and breaking down a low block are mastered by doing the hard work on the training pitch.

Personally, I’ll not blame the players. I'm more than happy to reserve judgement until I've seen how they perform in an organised team that knows what it wants to do,

31 minutes ago, JFKvsNixon said:

Don't forget that Liverpool were also prepared to pay over £100 million for Caicedo. 

I think that the problem is that Caicedo is playing in a team has no cohesion whatsoever and rely upon individual moments of brilliance to win their matches. Things like playing through the press, organising your own press, organising a defence and breaking down a low block are mastered by doing the hard work on the training pitch.

Personally, I’ll not blame the players. I'm more than happy to reserve judgement until I've seen how they perform in an organised team that knows what it wants to do,

He would have been a much better fit at Liverpool as they already have a system in place. 

I'm yet to see a consistent system from Poch after 20+ games in the PL season, it's like every game is: get it to Palmer and co and hope for the best. 

I do see a very clear system with players executing very specific tasks — just not very well.

caicedo was plying pivot getting the first pass from the goalie and misplacing passes under little to no pressure. That’s lack of skill not system.

when Silva is embarrassed by Neto who simply runs past him to assist for a goal, that’s just a team with too many holes.

Awful. Paid £100m too much.

Anyone defending him needs to stop watching football.

There are no excuses to be so sloppy as a professional midfielder in possession. Under pressure, under no pressure. How many braindead fouls does he concede also?

100% biggest flop of the season not just in the PL but probably the whole of Europe.

Edited by OneMoSalah