The Next Manager?

10 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Seems to be the likely candidate...

When Chelsea last won the Premier League Kieran McKenna was 32 years old. That would make him the oldest player in the current Blues squad now that Thiago Silva has left, but it demonstrates his youth and also his incredible rise in the game.

At the time he was working as Manchester United's Under-18 manager. Heading up the senior side at Old Trafford was none other than Jose Mourinho when Chelsea lifted the title under Antonio Conte.

McKenna is now a top candidate to become the head coach at Stamford Bridge after Mauricio Pochettino left the club by mutual consent. 

14 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Would be funny if Championship manager would be reluctant to take over Chelsea and prefer some other lower-table team, but nothing will surprise me now.

18 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Would be funny if Championship manager would be reluctant to take over Chelsea and prefer some other lower-table team, but nothing will surprise me now.

Well, if its United, its understandable. They are still bigger than us. 

27 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Would make perfect sense..anyone coming here knows its short term or should do! If they're looking to build something then here isn't the place 

5 minutes ago, Gundalf said:

Well, if its United, its understandable. They are still bigger than us. 

True, but wonder how reliable these news are.

Brighton? Fair enough, fits their philosophy somewhat, even if it's bit of a stretch. But United? I'd still expect them to go after proven manager. Last week Tuchel supposedly almost in, so it may be usual "everyone to United" rumor. Meanwhile we are trying to organize some from zero to hero story at all costs, so it may be an only solid offer tbh.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Gundalf said:

Hey, a lot of people here were Poch out thruout the season. And now he is gone. You should be happy. 

The problem is the timing.

He had actually just kind of shown he was getting some work out of these guys and figuring out players that he could and couldn’t count on.

If he got sacked mid season yes it would of made sense but since start of 2024 we had like 4th most points.

And got some European football which was doubtful after the first 6 months and piss poor performances from this supposed CL quality squad.

Plus a huge % of folk thinking Poch out were dreaming that we, with this collection of muppets running football departments, would of appointed someone of the ilk of Xavi Alonso, Julian Nagelsmann, Thomas Tuchel or Antonio Conte etc.

Edited by OneMoSalah

1 minute ago, OneMoSalah said:

The problem is the timing.

He had actually just kind of shown he was getting some work out of these guys and figuring out players that he could and couldn’t count on.

If he got sacked mid season yes it would of made sense but since start of 2024 we had like 4th most points.

And got some European football which was doubtful after the first 6 months and piss poor performances from this supposed CL quality squad.

And the names that are being thrown about makes it make less sense! I get behind the scenes reason but why shouldn't the manager have say in transfers..its his squad!!! Maybe not complete control but majority...

Sad how looks likely be just bouncing mid table again

29 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

Would make perfect sense..anyone coming here knows its short term or should do! If they're looking to build something then here isn't the place 

McKenna is also a life long Manchester United fan

1 hour ago, Vegetable said:

Technically premier league manager now but I see your point, although one thing he has on his side is taken a team to back to back promotions, I'm not sure how many of you actually watch the championship but that league is absolutely brutal and any manager who manages to conquer that the season after promotion deserve huge credit, might not deserve the Chelsea job 🤣 but still I think that massive achievement is been underplayed alot. Infact I'd say back to back promotions from league 1 to the premier league is harder than than winning the double with a man city or the likes of arsenal. Which brings me onto my next point, will the players respect him? You don't get a team back to back promotions if can't rally a team behind you 110% which shows he has good man management and clearly some idea of tactics and style of play.

22 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

Infact I'd say back to back promotions from league 1 to the premier league is harder than than winning the double with a man city 

Exactly what I've been saying.

@robsblubot Pep<McKenna 

He should stay in Ipswich and try to win PL. Just loan him Mudryk and Disasi. 

29 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

Technically premier league manager now but I see your point, although one thing he has on his side is taken a team to back to back promotions, I'm not sure how many of you actually watch the championship but that league is absolutely brutal and any manager who manages to conquer that the season after promotion deserve huge credit, might not deserve the Chelsea job 🤣 but still I think that massive achievement is been underplayed alot. Infact I'd say back to back promotions from league 1 to the premier league is harder than than winning the double with a man city or the likes of arsenal. Which brings me onto my next point, will the players respect him? You don't get a team back to back promotions if can't rally a team behind you 110% which shows he has good man management and clearly some idea of tactics and style of play.

I dont doubt he is a good manager but see him hitting through ground running and getting us competing..whole different ball game especially with way more pressure behind him. Be a shame for him to leave what he achieved and get sacked again so soon as will no doubt be the case with things these days..be nice to be wrong however just think it'll take time.. again and not what gets given.

9 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

I dont doubt he is a good manager but see him hitting through ground running and getting us competing..whole different ball game especially with way more pressure behind him. Be a shame for him to leave what he achieved and get sacked again so soon as will no doubt be the case with things these days..be nice to be wrong however just think it'll take time.. again and not what gets given.

Again agree, I am not for or against him coming at this this point I just let the dice roll, but normally 2 things happen with a manager, 

1 they absolutely hit the ground running (big Ange) then they slowly die off because it's down to new manager hype and they fade out, 

2 they start slow and build and build and build and you end up with something worth while (klopp pep sir Alex arteta) for example 

Problem we have is the fans, if we don't start firing immediately we kick out toys out the pram, and if we kick off straight away by the second season we want them gone and the same happens again! 

15 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Exactly what I've been saying.

@robsblubot Pep<McKenna 

He should stay in Ipswich and try to win PL. Just loan him Mudryk and Disasi. 

😆

For the record, my point is that the jobs have completely different requirements.
e.g. I disagree that a smaller club manager's success can be easily applied to a top club... same the other way around.

All this talk and reports of a mystery manager in the running, for me, has to suggest someone who's season hasn't finished yet.

Amorim seems the obvious one on this train of thought, with perhaps Terzic as a wildcard.

Just now, bluesman2610 said:

These guys want to spend more money on a manager with our financial situation.. I still can’t believe this

Don't worry, they have a list of Cobham graduates to make up for it.

Thank god it appears like United will save us by taking McKenna. For the same reasons it would be an idiotic appointment for us it would be for them. I would say they’re in MUCH worse shape heading into the summer than we are and need almost a full rebuild. To bring in a guy from the Championship to oversee that would be madness. 

I’m desperately hoping we come to our senses and appoint someone with top level experience.