Kalidou Koulibaly

Blues Forever

Before the video cuts off “and listen, anything you need” even more proof that JT, regardless of whays happened in the past, is still a top bloke.

Pity we couldn’t get JT in an actual coaching position as opposed to this consultancy role he has though.

amazing goal. He might not be fast and tall like Rüdiger but he is more powerful, his slide tackles are amazing and that technique for the goal was just brilliant. Was sceptical about him but he looks up for it. May he long stay healthy and continue to defy his age.

4 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

amazing goal. He might not be fast and tall like Rüdiger but he is more powerful, his slide tackles are amazing and that technique for the goal was just brilliant. Was sceptical about him but he looks up for it. May he long stay healthy and continue to defy his age.

He's not got that burst of acceleration that Rudiger has but he's certainly no slouch and I think someone that is capable and comfortable of playing a high line and not worrying about opposition playing balls in behind.

For that trade off though I think Koulibaly is a more tactically aware defender and better on the ball. Maybe won't drive the ball up the field like Rudiger would, but far more capable playing a 30-40 yard ball up field. 

Age is the only concern for me to be honest, and being able to maintain his standards well into his 30's. Not expecting him to be the next Thiago Silva, but if we got 2 years of him still in his prime and a year or two more of him at a high level to still offer something to the squad then I think it'll have been a really good deal all around for us. Anything more will be a bonus.

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

He's not got that burst of acceleration that Rudiger has but he's certainly no slouch and I think someone that is capable and comfortable of playing a high line and not worrying about opposition playing balls in behind.

For that trade off though I think Koulibaly is a more tactically aware defender and better on the ball. Maybe won't drive the ball up the field like Rudiger would, but far more capable playing a 30-40 yard ball up field. 

Age is the only concern for me to be honest, and being able to maintain his standards well into his 30's. Not expecting him to be the next Thiago Silva, but if we got 2 years of him still in his prime and a year or two more of him at a high level to still offer something to the squad then I think it'll have been a really good deal all around for us. Anything more will be a bonus.

I think he was bought as heir to Thiago who will probably hang up his boots in a year. Then K2 can be the defensive anchor to play in the middle of the 3, which is the position that needs the most experience.

I knew he had his shortcomings (you should see his stats about how often players can dribble past him, compared to other CBs in this league)....but at least have some common sense, being an experienced CB?

2nd yellow was totally avoidable.

Still...don't want to throw him under the bus, because it's just his 3rd PL game. Silva has had his moments too after arriving, and he's adjusted well. Hopefully KK can do the same.

4 hours ago, Nero said:

Remember when people said he's better than Rüdiger? I guess this are the same people who said Willian is better than Hazard when we bought him

Knives out after 2 or 3 games. Embarrassing. Get a grip. Hes a good player. All of them were shite against Leeds. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Blues Forever said:

Poor performance so far, my fear is Koulibaly already starting to decline. I didn't like we paid €40m and gave him 4 + 1 years contract.

He sure as hell is no Rüdiger. While he too has weaknesses he fitted us way better. 

i was very sceptical about his age and beginning decline as well when we signed him. Anyway I just hope he just needs abut more time to get used to the league 

2 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

He sure as hell is no Rüdiger. While he too has weaknesses he fitted us way better. 

i was very sceptical about his age and beginning decline as well when we signed him. Anyway I just hope he just needs abut more time to get used to the league 

In my view Koulibaly was never a Rudiger replacement. I always viewed him as the 2nd CB signing we needed, in addition to a world class CB like Skriniar. Koulibaly was there to fill the squad and take on Silvas role after he retired ( and probably won't be anywhere near that level IMO).