Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

Osimhen is a great finisher and header of the ball, and makes good runs. We should be realistic about his level though. He is a bad version of Haaland, not a Harry Kane or a Lewa type player who has overall holistic contribution, where you are happy they are in the XI whether they score that day or not (at least when they were in their prime). He is also injury prone and has had exactly 1 very impressive season which he probably wont repeat.

If the deal is very good, then we could take a look at him. If he and his agent overplay their hand, he will have to grovel with Napoli that he actually does want to play there after all and stay on that sweet sweet contract he's on.

Truth is NJ scored 14 league goals last year in his first season with us, which is pretty much Osimhen's average output at Napoli, even including his peak year. Signing him is unlikely to actually take us to a different level in truth, but it might be worth a look in the right circumstances.

1 minute ago, Mhsc said:

Osimhen is a great finisher and header of the ball, and makes good runs. We should be realistic about his level though. He is a bad version of Haaland, not a Harry Kane or a Lewa type player who has overall holistic contribution, where you are happy they are in the XI whether they score that day or not (at least when they were in their prime). He is also injury prone and has had exactly 1 very impressive season which he probably wont repeat.

If the deal is very good, then we could take a look at him. If he and his agent overplay their hand, he will have to grovel with Napoli that he actually does want to play there after all and stay on that sweet sweet contract he's on.

Truth is NJ scored 14 league goals last year in his first season with us, which is pretty much Osimhen's average output at Napoli, even including his peak year. Signing him is unlikely to actually take us to a different level in truth, but it might be worth a look in the right circumstances.

Yeah, that one spectacular season where he spearheaded Napoli’s title win a couple of years ago has kind of skewed the general PL fan into thinking Osimhen is someone he isn’t in reality. He’s an amazing poacher and can definitely score a lot of “fox in the box” type goals and he’s really good in the air.

But as you say, he isn’t a Kane at his best who is not merely finisher but also a playmaker. And he’s also not one of those #9’s that’s going to score loads of unbelievable bangers from crazy angles or from outside the box like an RvP/Luis Suarez/Sergio Aguero. 

I think if he came to the PL he’d be much like Haaland but not quite as good. Someone who scores all the easy chances when they come to him but he isn’t going to be involved much throughout many matches in terms of general play.

Watching several Chelsea YouTubers and all over Chelsea Twitter a lot of them seem to feel that Osimhen would come here and put up numbers like RVP when he went to United, Haaland at City, or Suarez & Salah at Liverpool. Like 25-30 PL goals and 40-50 across all comps. But I don’t think he’s anywhere near that level.

That’s why I’m glad the club isn’t just going “fuck it” and spending mega money on him. Be nice to have for £50m + Lukaku or on loan with buy obligation for something reasonable like £50-60m. 

27 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Watching several Chelsea YouTubers and all over Chelsea Twitter a lot of them seem to feel that Osimhen would come here and put up numbers like RVP when he went to United, Haaland at City, or Suarez & Salah at Liverpool. Like 25-30 PL goals and 40-50 across all comps. But I don’t think he’s anywhere near that level.

That’s why I’m glad the club isn’t just going “fuck it” and spending mega money on him. Be nice to have for £50m + Lukaku or on loan with buy obligation for something reasonable like £50-60m. 

Agree. I don't think he is that good or worth disrupting our wage structure for.

1 hour ago, Strike said:

Agree. I don't think he is that good or worth disrupting our wage structure for.

Yeah, I don't want him at all tbh, I rather we develop Jackson, Samu and Guiu rather than have him here on big wages/expectations. He is average to good. We shouldn't be going big on him. His one great season skewed opinion. 

I think we will end up selling Carney.

Shame really. If Poch had stayed it would be out of the question, he really liked him but we have far too many players and then signed KDH also in midfield.

Edited by OneMoSalah

5 hours ago, Mhsc said:

Osimhen can still have an impact for his team when he isn't scoring (just have a look at Nigeria's AFCON run to the final). That's what makes him different from the CF's you mentioned. We are awful defensively at the best of times, so just having a finisher would arguably put us back a step.

Everyone is obviously entitled to their own views. It just makes me question how much they've actually watched of Osimhen, given the number of less than complementary remarks aimed in his direction.

€100m - forget it.

€40-60m plus Lukaku (massive wages off the books) or similar fee with an obligation next summer - a no brainer.

1 minute ago, LAM09 said:

Osimhen can still have an impact for his team when he isn't scoring (just have a look at Nigeria's AFCON run to the final). That's what makes him different from the CF's you mentioned. We are awful defensively at the best of times, so just having a finisher would arguably put us back a step.

Everyone is obviously entitled to their own views. It just makes me question how much they've actually watched of Osimhen, given the number of less than complementary remarks aimed in his direction.

€100m - forget it.

€40-60m plus Lukaku (massive wages off the books) or similar fee with an obligation next summer - a no brainer.

Everyone definitely entitled to their opinion! Personally, I think Osimhen would be the worst passer of the ball in our squad by some distance and I think there is huge potential a deal for him could turn toxic af and it may set us back for years if we do the wrong deal.

€40m-€50m tops with Lukaku going the other way + him reducing his salary imo.

10 minutes ago, Mhsc said:

Everyone definitely entitled to their opinion! Personally, I think Osimhen would be the worst passer of the ball in our squad by some distance and I think there is huge potential a deal for him could turn toxic af and it may set us back for years if we do the wrong deal.

€40m-€50m tops with Lukaku going the other way + him reducing his salary imo.

We shouldn’t be signing anyone who isn’t a top level passer with this coach , setting him up to fail otherwise 

With the way the Pedro Neto deal came out of absolutely nowhere and was reported as a done deal in 1 day, I wouldn’t be shocked at all if we do the same thing with a striker.

But I don’t think it’ll be Osimhen. I think it’ll be……Ivan Toney. That’s my prediction. 

The unfortunate side effect will surely be Guiu going out on loan. He deserves to stay. 

3 minutes ago, Pizy said:

With the way the Pedro Neto deal came out of absolutely nowhere and was reported as a done deal in 1 day, I wouldn’t be shocked at all if we do the same thing with a striker.

But I don’t think it’ll be Osimhen. I think it’ll be……Ivan Toney. That’s my prediction. 

The unfortunate side effect will surely be Guiu going out on loan. He deserves to stay. 

Toney is 28 with 1 year left on his contract and he makes £20k per week. Would think he will wait til Jan and sign a pre agreement to join in summer with whoever the highest bidder is, probably go after some £10m sign on fee with £250k pw contract for 5 years or something to sort himself out financially for life.

Napoli are going to try to reach an agreement next week for Romelu Lukaku.

🚨 Chelsea will be very busy on outgoings.

(@FabrizioRomano)

Edited by mkh