Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

1 minute ago, Clockwork said:

It should be crystal clear by now that Lukaku was a Tuchel signing, given how he wants Auba this summer. Lukaku himself said Tuchel was a huge factor leaving Inter a while ago, but that doesn’t seem to stop the narrative around here.

In what way are Lukaku and Aubameyang remotely the same type of player?

1 minute ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Nobody is a guarantee otherwise such a player would be deemed priceless.

I'm not desperate for Aubameyang but I'm also not against it either. It's a short term punt that isn't going to have longer term effects on the club like a Torres or Lukaku signing had. If he chipped in with 8 - 10 goals this season and it won us a few points along the way then its proven to be a short term solution to a problem at the club. I'd liken it to when Mourinho bought Eto'o in his first season here.

Tuchel knows him well and he has a proven track record in the league so as an attempt to band aid a problem in the squad, it's probably one of the more safer options than buying a largely unproven commodity for 2-3x the price. 

We also have to get away from this notion that once you hit 30 its downhill from there. More and more players, especially those at the top level, are having longer careers and in a number of cases are actually finding themselves even improving into their 30's. I'd acknowledge that Auba struggled at the end at Arsenal but its difficult to know how much of that was to do with his relationship with Arteta. His six months at Barca have been excellent and you don't really see many Barca fans wanting him to leave which should say something.

Personally as a stop gap solution he ticks a lot of boxes and makes a lot more sense than a number of other options. My bigger issue is the price being mentioned considering Barca took him on a free 6 months ago and considering he is a short term signing. 

This argument would be valid if he came on a loan or fee, but at 30m with multi year contract?

4 minutes ago, Kong said:

You realise auba had a better goal record for arsenal than Drogba did here right? 

And what is that goal record since he turned 30, care to explain and do a deep dive? 

You do know not every player has the same dip. Essien was a bloody beast at his prime and someone who could barely play once he turned 30. 

Auba's dip and his last 1.5 seasons at arsenal were shambolic. His goal scoring numbers and the eye test are indicative of that FACT. 

We might as well bring kun out of retirement and give him a contract. He ticks all the boxes

Can score goals, has a great goal scoring record in PL, will be a stop gap etc etc. And "we need goals".

Edited by blahblahblah

7 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

This argument would be valid if he came on a loan or fee, but at 30m with multi year contract?

Yeah as mentioned at the end its the only thing really putting me off the deal. 

Even if it was £8-12m and giving him a 2 year contract with an option for a third if things went well, it would be far big a deal in my opinion.

But even if we can knock them down a bit on their current stance for price, we'd still be looking at likely more than double the bottom end of that above price.

1 hour ago, KEVINAA said:

CASADEI TO Chelsea OFFICIALLY DONE.

Chelsea have completed the signing of Cesare Casadei from Inter Milan after the Italian agreed a six-year contract with the Blues.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/article/casadei-joins-Chelsea

Casadei-signing-190822-2.jpg

20 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

In what way are Lukaku and Aubameyang remotely the same type of player?

goal scorer more importantly looking for an alternative to Havertz or Werner to lead the line. It is a pattern, he saw a need to address our goal scoring issue by bringing someone else, Lukaku was seen as a top striker.

31 minutes ago, blahblahblah said:

And what is that goal record since he turned 30, care to explain and do a deep dive? 

You do know not every player has the same dip. Essien was a bloody beast at his prime and someone who could barely play once he turned 30. 

Auba's dip and his last 1.5 seasons at arsenal were shambolic. His goal scoring numbers and the eye test are indicative of that FACT. 

We might as well bring kun out of retirement and give him a contract. He ticks all the boxes

Can score goals, has a great goal scoring record in PL, will be a stop gap etc etc. And "we need goals".

If it helps he's just joined Barcelonas record book for scoring 5 goals in 6 games. Also in that category is Ronaldo and ibra 

Don't really know much about Casedei and as others have mentioned any highlights videos of his don't stand out.

However he was named in the U19 Euros team of the tournament and Neil Bath has provided the quotes on him on the Chelsea website which suggests this is very much a Bath/Fraser identified signing as opposed to a Tuchel/first team signing.

For me Bath and Frasers track record speaks enough for itself to trust that they see a lot in this kid to be willing to push the club to sign him for quite a large investment.

3 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

However he [Casedei] was named in the U19 Euros team of the tournament

Not always a recommendation. Renato Sanches was named young player of Euro 2016 but, a good strike from outside the box apart, he was largely awful. I'm convinced he won simply because of name recognition due to the silly fee Bayern paid for him in the run up to those Euros. Knew it would not work for him in Munich and said so. Ditto Swansea. PSG is his best chance yet. Good luck to the lad but elected awards are not always won by the most deserving candidate.

27 minutes ago, Kong said:

If it helps he's just joined Barcelonas record book for scoring 5 goals in 6 games. Also in that category is Ronaldo and ibra 

Oh wow. How about that guy who was given a monicker of "king of milan". Should we re look at him? Get him on board. Heard he scored in the 1st minute of something along those lines

1 hour ago, Kong said:

A stat of 92 goals in 163 games is a good stat to have. He feel out with the manager towards to end leading to troubles in his performance.

Yeah, but PEA is now 33 and his legs are going. Using past stats when he was still in his prime aren't a good measure. In addition to this, he is notoriously unpredictable as to what his attitude is going to be. Lastly, at Chelsea you need to be physically rugged as we don't get jack from the refs. 

All of the above means I am out on PEA even on a free with a one year contract, let alone for a reasonable fee and multi-year deal. 

The way I see us playing this year is by physically over powering teams like we did to Spuds who are one of the more rugged teams in the league as it is. 

For me, I still have faith in Kai. I actually thought he played really well in the Spuds game, miss aside. For me, we will still get top 4 regardless of having a full blown finisher. Additionally, I also feel that by buying Lukaku last year, we stunted Kai as it was so I don't think we need another poor fit CF to take his space up again. 

12 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Not always a recommendation. Renato Sanches was named young player of Euro 2016 but, a good strike from outside the box apart, he was largely awful. I'm convinced he won simply because of name recognition due to the silly fee Bayern paid for him in the run up to those Euros. Knew it would not work for him in Munich and said so. Ditto Swansea. PSG is his best chance yet. Good luck to the lad but elected awards are not always won by the most deserving candidate.

Very true, a lot of players have got big moves due to doing well in the World Cup or Euros as opposed to considering their domestic form. It was just an observation that I assume he had a strong showing there. He didn't have the hype or big money transfer that Sanches had which, like you say, could add some bias to a judgement.

I think the main thing though is this does seem to be a signing with Neil Bath and Jim Frasers fingerprints over it which fills me with more confidence that there's a lot that they see and like in Casedei.

Are people seriously moaning about signing a proven goal scorer when we have been crying out for a proven goalscorer in the past 2/3 seasosn?

🤣

It's a stop gap and the only other stop gap would be Ronaldo. 

At this moment in time, I'd take either if them. 

I just want to see chances like Havertz had against Spurs, converted.