Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

3 hours ago, Strike said:

Why are we prioritising a RW over an LW? Is it because of the market? 

Propably this - not many good LW to sign - Kvicha would cost a lot of money, Nico Williams wants huge salary. Also maybe there is no option to sell Sterling? and 3 LWs would be overkill

Surely not. We just can't possibly fit this many players in, I'd have thought he really has to go out on loan again. Already struggle to imagine how we get Enzo, Caicedo and Lavia regular minutes - unless Palmer is playing out wide. Then we've got Gallagher too. And Carney. 

I would say he's proven he's good enough to play a LB role where he tucks into CB to form 3 ATB in Maresca's system, in a similar way to how Poch used him.

Not convinced he's done enough to prove he's the default starting CB option vs the rest though, he like all of the CBs should have a clean slate under Maresca to compete and see who can come out on top in the new system. I would have thought he'd have a good chance to nail down a spot there.

4 hours ago, Strike said:

Signed a long contract last year. Nothing to worry here. 

Exactly. Don't know why people lose their shit over some random tweets. 

37 minutes ago, Mhsc said:

Surely not. We just can't possibly fit this many players in, I'd have thought he really has to go out on loan again. Already struggle to imagine how we get Enzo, Caicedo and Lavia regular minutes - unless Palmer is playing out wide. Then we've got Gallagher too. And Carney. 

We need second team for Conference league. Don't expect starters to take part in it. 

4 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

Sesko is staying at Leipzig, confirmed so he can be scrubbed off the list

Bit lacking in ambition this. Must not think he could nail down a spot at any of the PL clubs after him. 

1 minute ago, Mhsc said:

Bit lacking in ambition this. Must not think he could nail down a spot at any of the PL clubs after him. 

How? Makes sense imo. He's in a top 4 Bundesliga team. Another year at Leipzig means he plays regularly, plays CL. He's only 21

Teams like Chelsea, Arsenal, United might still be an option next year. Even bigger teams may come into the picture for him. 

3 minutes ago, TheHulk said:

Time to go back to Alvarez.

City will fight to keep Alvarez. I think club needs to be careful about spending 70-80million on Alvarez, someone who has not shown yet he's able to play on his own up front. 

41 minutes ago, TheHulk said:

Time to go back to Alvarez. Imagine if we end up with trash Duran.

It probably will be Duran. Can see some sort of swap with Conor to help both teams out with FFP and because I think Conor will also refuse Spuds. 

It’s basically Alvarez or we gamble massively on a kid like Duran. And if Alvarez is impossible I’d rather buy no striker this window and hope that a fully fit Nkunku + Nico Jackson improving + potentially adding Olise is enough until we can identify a new striker next window.

As for Andrey Santos coming into the team, I think it would make sense only if Gallagher left tbh. From what I remember seeing of him from last preseason with us he is MUCH more suited to that deep lying #6 role than CG. He and Lavia as our #6’s with Enzo and Caicedo in front of them sounds fine to me.

I would’ve figured between our youth midfielders we’ve bought recently that Casadei would be the on earmarked to step into the first team under Maresca since he coached him already at Leicester.

1 hour ago, Strike said:

How? Makes sense imo. He's in a top 4 Bundesliga team. Another year at Leipzig means he plays regularly, plays CL. He's only 21

Teams like Chelsea, Arsenal, United might still be an option next year. Even bigger teams may come into the picture for him. 

Sounds like he will sign a new contract without a buy out clause and a gentlemen agreement instead, ala Harry Kane. They'll want a fortune for him in the future now, which will limit his options massively I would think. Personally think it is a terrible decision, fine if CL is his priority (I'd get that) then maybe don't join us or Man Utd but the opportunity to take Arsenal's no.9 spot is right there for the taking.

25 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

All or transfer have pretty much been a massive gamble on a kid, so I think you kinda answered your own question 🤣🫣

True, but you can afford to be patient with a young midfielder or winger or most other positions. But when we already have a striker like Jackson who is super inconsistent with his finishing the absolute last thing we need is to add some kid who is the same.

We either need a striker who is the finished article or at least well on his way to being so.

33 minutes ago, Pizy said:

It’s basically Alvarez or we gamble massively on a kid like Duran. And if Alvarez is impossible I’d rather buy no striker this window and hope that a fully fit Nkunku + Nico Jackson improving + potentially adding Olise is enough until we can identify a new striker next window.

Yeah, I don't disagree, although I still have some sort of hope that the clubs massive expensive scouting department can find a gem like Alvarez without buying him for £70m+ from City by grabbing them a step earlier. So I'm not totally against us going after a little known player, but I would want them to have a very good technical all round game that shows us a basis to think this is a good investment and not just speculating on someone that's gone on a goal scoring run recently but is useless when they're not scoring.