Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

that time barring was utter tosh, as only the first couple years (NOT the entire time frame) was time barred

and I think that if we legally go after it (FFP itself), it will be in such fashion and manner that we (and others) will say the entire structure is against EU law

I truly do not know, I am just positing a guess/theory

I don't want FFP to be destroyed, I just want it to be altered so that it lives up to its name. That is, I want it transformed from financial unfair play, into something which is genuinely financial fair play. I've said it a zillion times on here before, so apologies for repeating myself, but it is one thing to say that less well-off clubs cannot afford to spend a much as richer ones, but it's altogether a different, and grotesque, thing to say that smaller clubs are not allowed to spend as much as bigger ones, even if backers are prepared to put up the money.

How any sporting organisation can make rules which actively create a self-replicating advantage for some of its members over some of the others, is utterly beyond me. A level playing field may not be achievable in reality, but it should at least be the theoretical aim. On the day Platini was appointed head of uefa, I said he was not intelligent enough to hold that job, and so it proved. The G14, or whatever it was at the time, easily manipulated him into enshrining their already huge de-facto advantages, into rules which protect their position. Shameful.

23 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I don't want FFP to be destroyed, I just want it to be altered so that it lives up to its name. That is, I want it transformed from financial unfair play, into something which is genuinely financial fair play. I've said it a zillion times on here before, so apologies for repeating myself, but it is one thing to say that less well-off clubs cannot afford to spend a much as richer ones, but it's altogether a different, and grotesque, thing to say that smaller clubs are not allowed to spend as much as bigger ones, even if backers are prepared to put up the money.

How any sporting organisation can make rules which actively create a self-replicating advantage for some of its members over some of the others, is utterly beyond me. A level playing field may not be achievable in reality, but it should at least be the theoretical aim. On the day Platini was appointed head of uefa, I said he was not intelligent enough to hold that job, and so it proved. The G14, or whatever it was at the time, easily manipulated him into enshrining their already huge de-facto advantages, into rules which protect their position. Shameful.

What we need is a US style budget cap; a single figure which applies to all clubs. Any club is allowed to spend up to the cap figure, as long as it can do so without falling into unsustainable debt. Just as now, club's books must be subject to annual inspection to ensure that this is so with heavy sanctions if the rules are broken. This is never going to mean that Walsall FC can compete with Barcelona, but it also is never going to mean that they are not even allowed to.

54 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

That was bullshit....and you can bet money was exchanged. As JM said its a disgrace one way or the other, why fine them anything at all if they cant be touched? Utter BS and if its true that FFP is not valid within EU laws then fuck'em.

I've never believed that FFP is against EU law. Organisations are allowed to set rules of association. If you want to be a football club, and spend whatever you want on transfers and wages no one is stopping you. You just can't join the uefa club. It would be interesting to see this tested and established, one way or the other, once and for all..

4 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I've never believed that FFP is against EU law. Organisations are allowed to set rules of association. If you want to be a football club, and spend whatever you want on transfers and wages no one is stopping you. You just can't join the uefa club. It would be interesting to see this tested and established, one way or the other, once and for all..

Im with you on that one, they need to establish this once and for all and the guidelines down to a tee

Matt Law on our transfer targets, apart from Havertz and GK...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/07/27/chelsea-talks-withbayer-leverkusen-fee-midfielder-kai-havertz/

Chelsea will hope that Leicester City’s failure to qualify for the Champions League could improve their prospects of signing Ben Chilwell but they will have to drop their £80m valuation of the left-back.

Leicester had been adamant that they would not be forced to sell Chilwell this summer, but dropping out of the top four could see their stance soften if the player decides he wants to move to Stamford Bridge.

Lampard will have to sell a left-back, either Marcos Alonso or Emerson Palmieri, in order to sign a replacement and will also need to offload a centre-back if he opts to bring a new one in. Chelsea are interested in West Ham United’s Declan Rice and have scouted Atlético Madrid’s José Giménez.

17 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

Henderson holds all the aces there.

He does but I am not sold on him, seen him make really silly mistakes this season. 2 v us at home (fumble + weak wrist), 1 v Liverpool (ball went straight through him), 1 v Le Arse in the cup (jumped over the ball) and 1 in the league against a team who I cannot remember (possibly Newcastle) where he got beaten really easily at his near post.

Henderson for me is another English GK that is being over hyped. 

Just now, Pizy said:

Does he? Is he out of contract soon? Because otherwise, why would Man United strengthen us?

I never mentioned us, I simply mentioned Henderson holds the aces. DDG is struggling massively, he is boxing United in as he knows they need to get rid.

The pressure from him is easy, he can name drop us to apply more pressure to them and the DDG situation.

I just wonder if Henderson is actually the real deal or if he's just made to look good due to Chris Wilder's defensive setup in front of him. Pickford and Joe Hart were the last English keepers to get hyped to hell and back and they both turned out to be shit. Wonder if Henderson will fare better.

40 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I just wonder if Henderson is actually the real deal or if he's just made to look good due to Chris Wilder's defensive setup in front of him. Pickford and Joe Hart were the last English keepers to get hyped to hell and back and they both turned out to be shit. Wonder if Henderson will fare better.

I still think without the mistakes of the last 2 seasons, De Gea would be a cert play ahead of him next season and I really think he will still be their number 1 because he may not be the GK he once was but he still makes some very good saves at times and they still view him as world class. 

I think Henderson has promise but this accelerated talk of becoming Uniteds number 1 isn’t purely down to how well he has done but how poorly De Gea has done this last 2 seasons with high profile mistakes. Henderson has made mistakes this season also but the scrutiny of making mistakes at a Sheffield United is nothing compared to a Man United or Chelsea. He maybe isn’t necessarily ready to be a number 1 GK at a top 4 club but again, it would be unfair to say that without him actually playing at one. I think of some of the GKs who were good at smaller teams in the PL and struggled when they got bigger moves such as Asmir Begovic, who was extremely talented at Stoke and undoubtedly a better GK than Henderson right now imo when we signed him but he never really was assured here at all and looked very ordinary and shaky at times. Mignolet as well although struggled maybe a strong word, didnt really improve at Liverpool if you ask me but if I am honest he did look a lot more assured for them than Begovic did here and was definitely one of Rodgers more successful signings out of a multitude of utter shite when you see the list but never to the level of what any of the top clubs GKs were imo.

Henderson has had good performances and I think he is a better GK than Pickford who was England’s number 1 at the world cup but honestly Pickford is pretty poor it wouldn’t be unfair to even suggest most of the decent English keepers in the PL probably have a better chance of being in the squad come the Euros next summer if Southgate is fair with his selections. If it were this summer you could say the likes of Nick Pope, Dean Henderson, Alex McCarthy, Ben Foster even Aaron Ramsdale and Fraser Forster after an impressive half season spell with Celtic looking particularly good in the Europa League also would be ahead of him potentially. Thats how badly his performances has flatlined. 

£55m is a bit excessive as well IMO, even if we did spend £71m on Kepa.

I think Willian just became our top target. FFS.

Lampard has been adamant that he wants Willian to stay at the club and is believed to have given him assurances he will play a key role next season despite the £37 million arrival of Hakim Ziyech from Ajax.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/4148354/lampard-desperate-to-keep-willian-at-chelsea-sources%3fplatform=amp

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

Very harsh on Hart, he was excellent in his prime.

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

Very harsh on Hart, he was excellent in his prime.

Yeah he was really good. Pep not fancying him really killed his career although he had made mistakes with Pellegrini but recovered, that was the final nail in the coffin when Pep binned him though. Weird how his career has panned out. 

24 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Yeah he was really good. Pep not fancying him really killed his career although he had made mistakes with Pellegrini but recovered, that was the final nail in the coffin when Pep binned him though. Weird how his career has panned out. 

He was already long declined by the time Pep got there. The rot started for him in City's second title winning season.

He was genuinely world class under Mancini.