WorldCup 2022 - Qatar

nachikethas

What an absolute fucking waste of a slot Wales where in that WC, absolutely pathetic from start to finish.

England never got out of second gear, and we need to stay grounded here- we have played Iran, USA, Wales and next up Senegal. Keep hearing pundits refer back to the Iran game, sorry but we shouldn't be using that game as any kind of yard stick. The same players who have started or been on the fringes will remain and no other players will get a kick other than pissy little cameos.

Senegal won't be a test and England should win that comfortably, only test so far is USA and the performance was horrific.

On 29/11/2022 at 03:54, robsblubot said:

I think a lot of these Portuguese players are overrated as fuck. The NT is weak and their big name players are really only good players... while others not even that good tbh.

They will prob find a way to win this match, but honestly, Portugal is fair game to anyone in the single elimination stages.

this is one of the most talented crop of players we’ve had in years, and most of them are still young, my only gripe with this team is Fernando Santos stubborness and thinkering, and the lapses in defense, but to call them overrated and not good enough is a stretch.

Edited by Johnnyeye

2 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Why? I'll be cheering for Argentina and Mexico. As a neutral I want all best teams to progress. Germany tomorrow as well. 

US fans always want to see Mexico lose, it is just part of the rivalry. Argentina federation is so incredibly corrupt, I always like to see them lose. I cannot think of a more corrupt federation.

10 hours ago, Johnnyeye said:

this is one of the most talented crop of players we’ve had in years, and most of them are still young, my only gripe with this team is Fernando Santos stubborness and thinkering, and the lapses in defense, but to call them overrated and not good enough is a stretch.

Suppose you may be right in numbers, but perhaps irrelevant to the discussion. Also, if I only had a dollar for every time a NT head coach is criticized.... 😉 

If they are too young, then they are only promising and not ready. My 2 points being discussed: 1. Portugal is not a contender. 2. From Chelsea's PoV, while some players may be promising, I pointed out that they'd be a gamble at the moment and that I don't think any Portuguese player would *significantly* improve Chesea atm--no one remotely close to CR7 (who is visibly past his prime) esp in attack. We were talking highly of William Carvalho and Neves not long ago... wouldn't want either even for the bench.

As a Brazilian, Portugal usually has my support (Germany too bc mother side), which may make me a bit more critical of them to be fair. Still, I have to call it the way I see it.

5 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Why? I'll be cheering for Argentina and Mexico. As a neutral I want all best teams to progress. Germany tomorrow as well. 

I agree with he notion: I prefer the stronger teams to go through. Upsets are bound to upset my eyes later on as we are forced to watch the bad team once again, and they usually don't repeat the initial feat (reason an upset is called that).

So, yeah Argentina has players we'd like to watch again (Otamendi aside lol). And they will be tough to beat in the single-elimination stage.

heh Mexico has to be the most overrated NT. They are considered a strong footballing nation by decree.
And this particular crop of players is no better -- I wouldn't mind not having to watch that team play for a while... they are so bad.

Edited by robsblubot

At one point Poland were going through on having 4 yellow cards to Mexicos 7.

Should never have been a penalty to the Argies - but the save galvanised them. Poland were so slow - if it had been a boxing match the ref would have stopped it at half time.

33 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

At one point Poland were going through on having 4 yellow cards to Mexicos 7.

Should never have been a penalty to the Argies - but the save galvanised them. Poland were so slow - if it had been a boxing match the ref would have stopped it at half time.

😆 so true.

Speaking of penalties, I wrote earlier about that VAR Portugal penally... was the worse I've in a while.

I couldn't agree more with Joe Cole (dangerous precedent too may remove moves from the game):

"Portugal were awarded a controversial penalty as they beat Uruguay at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. The ball hit the hand of Uruguay defender Jose Gimenez in the box but he was trying to break his fall to the ground. Still, the referee pointed to the spot and Bruno Fernandes scored."

https://www.eurosport.com/football/world-cup/2022/joe-cole-says-no-way-portugal-should-have-been-awarded-handball-penalty-against-uruguay-at-2022-worl_sto9249361/story.shtml

26 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

😆 so true.

Speaking of penalties, I wrote earlier about that VAR Portugal penally... was the worse I've in a while.

I couldn't agree more with Joe Cole (dangerous precedent too may remove moves from the game):

"Portugal were awarded a controversial penalty as they beat Uruguay at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. The ball hit the hand of Uruguay defender Jose Gimenez in the box but he was trying to break his fall to the ground. Still, the referee pointed to the spot and Bruno Fernandes scored."

https://www.eurosport.com/football/world-cup/2022/joe-cole-says-no-way-portugal-should-have-been-awarded-handball-penalty-against-uruguay-at-2022-worl_sto9249361/story.shtml

Its a paradox that VAR was brought in with the mantra that it was to clear up 'grey areas' of decision making - seems its a tool to create more controversy. Yes - that Ronaldo 'penalty' - one of the worst decisions ever. 

Argentina will reach semi final without top opponent. Now Australia and after Netherlands/USA. 

France will play England in QF. Germany, Portugal will be in other bracket as well. Spain:Brazil most likely will clash in QF. Final before final. And who ever wins should eliminate Argentina in semis. 

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

4 entered. 

Central American countries are technically a part of North America, but not really looked at that way here, buy both North American countries and Central American countries. They are a part of Concacaf. 

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

Argentina will reach semi final without top opponent. Now Australia and after Netherlands/USA. 

France will play England in QF. Germany, Portugal will be in other bracket as well. Spain:Brazil most likely will clash in QF. Final before final. And who ever wins should eliminate Argentina in semis

Mostly agree except bolded part.

It's best to forget group stages from now on. I think Argentina will be tough opposition for anyone... reminder that this Brazil squad lost (soundly) to Argentina in the Copa America final playing at home in Brazil. You could see Argentina winning that match from start to finish.

France will be a tough one for England too... It's like their strengths match England's weaknesses to the dot.

Portugal and Germany (likely) will be tough as well - no easy games anymore hehe. Of course it's a "good" time to play Germany in theory, but they did look strong against Spain... plus loads of depth in the squad, which means they can make adjustments along the way and become stronger.

That's another factor from now on: which teams can lose players to injury or even fatigue and remain just as strong?