WorldCup 2022 - Qatar

nachikethas

1 hour ago, robsblubot said:

I think a lot of these Portuguese players are overrated as fuck. The NT is weak and their big name players are really only good players... while others not even that good tbh.

They will prob find a way to win this match, but honestly, Portugal is fair game to anyone in the single elimination stages.

this aged well

14 minutes ago, Vesper said:

this aged well

not sure I follow, which part are you referring to?
not "They [Portugal] will prob find a way to win this match" I'm sure.

did you watch the game? Fluke goal (goalie mistake) and a very questionable PK call.
Meanwhile Uruguay hit the post and Suarez missed a sitter. Uruguay is hardly a strong team even in SA, BTW.

I stand by what I said.... Portugal is shit and has no shot in this WC.

Edited by robsblubot

7 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

not sure I follow, which part are you referring to?
not "They [Portugal] will prob find a way to win this match" I'm sure.

did you watch the game? Fluke goal (goalie mistake) and a very questionable PK call.
Meanwhile Uruguay hit the post and Suarez missed a sitter. Uruguay is hardly a strong team even in SA, BTW.

I stand by what I said.... Portugal is shit and has no shot in this WC.

they have a lot of really class players I would kill for here

we completely disagree, obviously

9 minutes ago, Vesper said:

they have a lot of really class players I would kill for here

we completely disagree, obviously

Disagreeing is absolute fine, of course. I wouldn't like a single one of their players atm, but that can change in the future.

Just that what you wrote implied a causation, where there was none here. Brackets are way too unbalanced, which is common at the group stages. Portugal is in one of the easier groups... perhaps the easiest. Uruguay has been struggling in SA with their aging squad.

BTW, what I said about Otamendi applies just as much to Pepe. 😉 

Edited by robsblubot

4 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

I wouldn't like a single one of their players atm

really?

CB: Ruben Dias (Manchester City) 
CB: Antonio Silva (Benfica) youth

LB: Nuno Mendes (PSG)

RB/LB: Joao Cancelo (Manchester City)
RB: Diogo Dalot (Manchester United)

DMF: Ruben Neves (Wolves)

CMF: Vitinha (PSG)

AMF: Bernardo Silva (Manchester City)

LW/SS: Rafael Leao (AC Milan)

CF: Goncalo Ramos (Benfica)

26 minutes ago, Vesper said:

really?

CB: Ruben Dias (Manchester City) 
CB: Antonio Silva (Benfica) youth

LB: Nuno Mendes (PSG)

RB/LB: Joao Cancelo (Manchester City)
RB: Diogo Dalot (Manchester United)

DMF: Ruben Neves (Wolves)

CMF: Vitinha (PSG)

AMF: Bernardo Silva (Manchester City)

LW/SS: Rafael Leao (AC Milan)

CF: Goncalo Ramos (Benfica)

The question is whether the players would significantly improve our team, and IMO (of course):

Rubens Dias good player, but we have the best RB when he's not injured. Same applies to our starting LB.

Ruben Neves I very much dislike this player.

Youths are gamble so it can go either way

Vitinha maybe... have to see more. PSG is tough to judge given the torrid league.

Nuno Mendes (very young and same caveat regarding league)

Bernardo Silva good player, and completely exchangeable with a number of other wingers/AMs. My fav winger at City atm is Foden (don't understand why he does not get more minutes w/ England). 

Rafael Leao is tall

Goncalo Ramos also very young player in a lower tier league -- need keep an eye on.

Regarding Portugal as a team, they are not clicking. The lines aren't compact enough and it takes them too long to transition (both attack and defense). Pepe is a huge weakness and will be exploited. They lack strength in depth at this level. Single elimination phase is where fitness levels drop a bit, and strength in depth starts playing a bigger part. Needless to say, CR7 is no longer the player he once was, and tbh he does not even look like a top player anymore.

Edited by robsblubot

1 hour ago, robsblubot said:

Rubens Dias good player, but we have the best RB when he's not injured. Same applies to our starting LB.

erm, Dias is arguably the best CB on the planet

he is not a fullback

and on that note I leave my picks to stand

(bold were the big ones)

every one of the bold ones would massively improve our side if they came here

also both of their RB's would be a huge boost over Azpi and the 'fill in the blank' RB picks now that Reece is out

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

erm, Dias is arguably the best CB on the planet

he is not a fullback

and on that note I leave my picks to stand

(bold were the big ones)

every one of the bold ones would massively improve our side if they came here

also both of their RB's would be a huge boost over Azpi and the 'fill in the blank' RB picks now that Reece is out

Stand corrected with Dias, never caught my attention. Caveat that city plays in a very specific system, which demands players with very specific characteristics.

Yeah, agree to disagree: the grass is always greener esp when comparing different leagues and standards. Even players already in the PL often struggle when joining an elite side, much more if players are coming from lesser leagues.

It's very hard to get really good players to be a sub for a sure starter. What if Reese finally has a long injury-free spell for ex?

TBF, Portugal is lucky and its side of the bracket will get either Serbia or Switzerland right? That's totally fair game for them. 

6 hours ago, Special Juan said:

Not sure if I give a shit what happens with England today, can totally take it or leave it.

They should be beating the Welsh but they are bottle jobs so anything can happen. 

USMNT says, hold my beer! I hope we get through...but I would never put money on them winning.