• Werner
    • Havertz
    • Giroud (sub)
    • Pulisic (sub)
    • Kante (sub)
    • Silva (sub)
    • Emerson (sub)

8 minutes ago, chippy said:

How long do we give Werner  snd Kai though? Another year like  this and  their value will plumet.

Kai is going another level come next season but Werner depends heavily if we get a top class striker he can't play the ST role so good.

Edited by R2D2

15 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

That is also true, he started better with TT in Feb (was beginning of Feb he came in right?) but he is more a hinderance than a help just now and has been for a good while. 

Its at the point where you’d think anyone would be better now would you not agree? We’ve seen coaches play Torres and Morata when they were doing nothing week in and week out, on some premise that they believe they will score or that they can coach them through it etc instead of ignoring the blatantly obvious, the guys in a huge rut maybe wait to a game where your scoring 3,4 or 5 goals and stick him in then (although 3,4 or 5 goals for us this season in one game would be near unheard of). Yes the options weren’t fantastic but either way it didn’t pay off with those guys so what makes people think it will with them? Its virtually the same thing. I mean Its literally deja vu. Surely a smart man like TT can figure that one out? If we were on a piss poor run of form and his job was in danger, relying on someone who’s in a rut like Timo to score you goals, it would be career damaging. 

I hope if TT is to be hopeful of being here in the long run he can find a way to incorporate Pulisic into team. Even more so on the left side of that front 3/attacking trio because surely I cannot be the only one who is sitting baffled at what Werner does over the course of a game or what hes done over the course of the last 2 months nearly?

Tuchel came in at the end of January.

Werner has been a hindrance for a while? Have people forgotten that the second leg against Atletico only happened like 2 weeks ago or so aka 3 games ago, where he actually did well, where it was actually one of our better performances under Tuchel overall? And it was only this time last month that he also did well at Liverpool and would have had a goal too if it wasn't for the stupid offside. He's started 11 games out of 16 under Tuchel and has contributed goals in 4 of them while also doing decently overall in some of the other games. The performances haven't been consistent but they have been there. Plus, I've also said this a thousand times and people seem to be blind towards, another reason why perhaps Werner has played a lot under Tuchel and even Lampard is that Pulisic was in a bad form and had his injury problems. It's the same case with Ziyech and even Havertz. So, it's not exactly his fault if he's being used while others have been out, is it?

I agree about maybe dropping him because at times, it looks like he's hit a wall after having played so many minutes in what has been a difficult first season in English football but on the other hand, with the amount of games, with the amount of rotation needed, how long can you really keep him out for? I suspect he won't start/play at Palace but will likely do so against Porto and maybe City next week. 

31 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

I mean for me, look at Pulisic tonight, in the 25 minutes he’s come on and had a chance where he has hit the bar/unlucky it hasn't gone in and won a few fouls to relive the pressure on the boys. Can’t remember if hes done an amazing great deal else but in terms of making an impact, he was an inch away from scoring. If he’s having much more of an impact in and around the goal than Werner is or if any player is in limited minutes in comparison, then I am all for seeing them in the team because we need to score goals. Werner had the header chance which to be fair to him its a good position but heading is not his strength.

This is exactly what I meant in the other thread about our attacking players showing flashes of brilliance or contribution but none has been consistently at it. 

Are we also gonna pretend that this is all Werner's fault? Tuchel has tried so many front 3 combinations since he's been here - some without Werner - and they have not done well in consecutive games, it's just 1 game here and 1 game there. 

43 minutes ago, Azul said:

We can give Havertz a pass, because of his role today. He was never going to win headers against Pepe and Mbemba. 

There was a moment in the game where Werner literally couldn't run with the ball, the ball went behind him when he tried to run with it. That showed that his confidence is finished, there's no point in starting him now.

A little confused to see everyone saying Havertz was put out there just win headers against Pepe and Mbemba and because he didn't, he can be given a pass. Yea that was obviously something we were looking for but he offered absolutely nothing else. He didn't even really challenge for the headers with serious contention. He could have at least imposed himself physically and made it harder. If it wasn't working, which it wasn't he should have dropped and called for the ball in a deeper position. Anyways, Giroud definitely showed more in that role and rightly so but I will say to be fair to Havertz... everyone behind him played terribly on the ball which did make it harder all around. 

6 minutes ago, DDA said:

A little confused to see everyone saying Havertz was put out there just win headers against Pepe and Mbemba and because he didn't, he can be given a pass. Yea that was obviously something we were looking for but he offered absolutely nothing else. He didn't even really challenge for the headers with serious contention. He could have at least imposed himself physically and made it harder. If it wasn't working, which it wasn't he should have dropped and called for the ball in a deeper position. Anyways, Giroud definitely showed more in that role and rightly so but I will say to be fair to Havertz... everyone behind him played terribly on the ball which did make it harder all around. 

Agreed

32 minutes ago, R2D2 said:

Kai is going another level come next season but Werner depends heavily if we get a top class striker he can't play the ST role so good.

Tbf, both of them have a lot to do. Kai has to find an actual position as opposed to being thrown in as a 8, 10 and a false 9 and flattering to convince in either of the three positions. Hes got huge talent but its failing to show at times.

29 minutes ago, Jason said:

Tuchel came in at the end of January.

Werner has been a hindrance for a while? Have people forgotten that the second leg against Atletico only happened like 2 weeks ago or so aka 3 games ago, where he actually did well, where it was actually one of our better performances under Tuchel overall? And it was only this time last month that he also did well at Liverpool and would have had a goal too if it wasn't for the stupid offside. He's started 11 games out of 16 under Tuchel and has contributed goals in 4 of them while also doing decently overall in some of the other games. The performances haven't been consistent but they have been there. Plus, I've also said this a thousand times and people seem to be blind towards, another reason why perhaps Werner has played a lot under Tuchel and even Lampard is that Pulisic was in a bad form and had his injury problems. It's the same case with Ziyech and even Havertz. So, it's not exactly his fault if he's being used while others have been out, is it?

I agree about maybe dropping him because at times, it looks like he's hit a wall after having played so many minutes in what has been a difficult first season in English football but on the other hand, with the amount of games, with the amount of rotation needed, how long can you really keep him out for? I suspect he won't start/play at Palace but will likely do so against Porto and maybe City next week. 

This is exactly what I meant in the other thread about our attacking players showing flashes of brilliance or contribution but none has been consistently at it. 

Are we also gonna pretend that this is all Werner's fault? Tuchel has tried so many front 3 combinations since he's been here - some without Werner - and they have not done well in consecutive games, it's just 1 game here and 1 game there. 

Bar the Liverpool, Newcastle and Atletico games, hes been pretty much a hinderance to this team because hes missed some big chances or hes been like an invisible player. You talk about the flashes for other players but whats to say that you cannot use that as the exact same excuse for Werner?

I am inclined to start thinking he is going to go the way of Morata and Torres. Flashes v Newcastle, Liverpool, Atletico then nothing for weeks on end. I cant shake the feeling as well once that sort of thing happens, particularly here for an attacker, they struggle to shake it and it defines them. 

Wont disagree regarding Pulisic with Frank, absolutely he wasnt in great shape and had injuries but you cannot say for instance the likes of Werner or Havertz have been in form recently or that other players couldnt have a more positive effect in this team. Pulisic and Hudson-Odoi for instance totally different profiles and offer something different and a team that struggles to create chances, maybe we need someone or players who can drop the shoulder and take a few opposition players out of the game. 

Werner has been given a huge show of faith from Frank and TT but hasnt done much to justify this show of faith. As you’ve said contributions of 4 goal involvements in 11 starts.... give Christian or Callum or Ziyech or Tammy or Giroud 11 starts and lets see what they do in those. I think more than 4 goal involvements wouldn’t exactly be asking much. Its hard to say more about flashes not just being flashes when some players are featuring more often than others. 

With regards to dropping him, I dont know, his style you would think suits the City game but if he isnt going to affect the game or even do the basics like cannot dribble the ball without tripping over it like he did again tonight is there any point? His skillset might suit something but if hes not feeling it mentally then hes not likely going to score. 

And no its not all Werner’s fault that we struggle to score goals as a team. There are other reasons but dont tell me hes making great runs or even taking a lot of shots when he gets the chance. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

3 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Bar the Liverpool, Newcastle and Atletico games, hes been pretty much a hinderance to this team because hes missed some big chances or hes been like an invisible player. You talk about the flashes for other players but whats to say that you cannot use that as the exact same excuse for Werner?

I am inclined to start thinking he is going to go the way of Morata and Torres. Flashes v Newcastle, Liverpool, Atletico then nothing for weeks on end. I cant shake the feeling as well once that sort of thing happens, particularly here for an attacker, they struggle to shake it and it defines them. 

Wont disagree regarding Pulisic with Frank, absolutely he wasnt in great shape and had injuries but you cannot say for instance the likes of Werner or Havertz have been in form recently or that other players couldnt have a more positive effect in this team. Pulisic and Hudson-Odoi for instance totally different profiles and offer something different and a team that struggles to create chances, maybe we need someone or players who can drop the shoulder and take a few opposition players out of the game. 

Werner has been given a huge show of faith from Frank and TT but hasnt done much to justify this show of faith. As you’ve said contributions of 4 goal involvements in 11 starts.... give Christian or Callum or Ziyech or Tammy or Giroud 11 starts and lets see what they do in those. I think more than 4 goal involvements wouldn’t exactly be asking much. Its hard to say more about flashes not just being flashes when some players are featuring more often than others. 

Maybe the others could have a more positive effect in the team but similarly, they have also only shown flashes of brilliance. Why Tuchel isn't playing Player A, B, C, I don't know. That's on him to answer.

I didn't say he contributed 4 goals in those 11 starts but contributed in 4 of those games out of the 11 starts and IIRC, only Mount has contributed more than him under Tuchel. 

And some has also featured more than others under Tuchel because of injuries, just like I fucking said!

12 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

With regards to dropping him, I dont know, his style you would think suits the City game but if he isnt going to affect the game or even do the basics like cannot dribble the ball without tripping over it like he did again tonight is there any point? His skillset might suit something but if hes not feeling it mentally then hes not likely going to score. 

Yes, that particular moment was shit but how long are you gonna hang it over his head?

And I just said maybe he'll start against City. Never said he will definitely start against them.

15 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

And no its not all Werner’s fault that we struggle to score goals as a team. There are other reasons but dont tell me hes making great runs or even taking a lot of shots when he gets the chance. 

Enough has been said about him missing chances and don't think I need to say anything further.

As for him making runs, let's not act like he doesn't make them. He always makes them and he's always ready make them but nobody in midfield, for example, would play an early pass to pick him out when there's a chance to. Put Fabregas in this team and I believe our attackers, not just Werner, would be making more impact in the final third. Heck, you only have to look at what Modric and Kroos did in that Madrid midfield against Liverpool and see what Jorginho and Kovacic do. It's so night and day.

7 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Imagine we would have gone for jadon sancho instead of havertz and  werner.... well you never know. But what we need is a nimble, fast attacker who also has this little bit of bulk and low centre of gravity to ride challanges and get past the player despite the foul. 

The secrets of Mbappe's physical conditioning

1 hour ago, Blues Forever said:

Definitely would pay €150m+ for him, only has 1 year left in his contract.

would so prefer him over Håland TBH, at least now

I am not at all convinced that Werner and Kai are busts, I think they both come good in a huge way for us in time

and there are other more than adequate target man type strikers out there

players like Mbappe? not so much, lol

unfortunately he is 90% Real or Barca bound, probably Real

Happy with the result. The performance was ok, nothing special, but after the game against WBA I expected nothing more. Porto played very good in parts and their athleticism was really too much for us at times. 

Am I the only one who suddenly started to like our red kit? 😂