• Werner
    • Havertz
    • Giroud (sub)
    • Pulisic (sub)
    • Kante (sub)
    • Silva (sub)
    • Emerson (sub)

6 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

We have been poor individually apart from a few players but have fought as a team brilliantly since Tuchel arrived. you more often than not do not win cups with individual brilliance but with gritty defending and the necessary slice of luck

Fair point!

29 minutes ago, Milan said:

This is literally just the first half as the second leg is played at the same stadium, just in different shirts... Stupid.

However we have 2 away goals ......priceless!!!!!!!!!!

I think in the second leg we have to start with Pulsic instead of Werner. With Kante, and Kovacic in the middle we can contain them.

Return Leg

Mendy

Azpi        Silva       Rudiger

James. Kante. Kovacic. Chilwell

Mount         Pulisic

Giroud/Abraham/Havertz anyone will do

The one good thing from this win and a 2-0 win is that our game plan next week should be clear - play on the counter like we did against Atletico instead of trying to getting caught in the fire with Porto like today.

Although, Porto will have Oliveira and Taremi back for the second leg.

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

GOD, PLEASE NO! AM TOO TIRED/LAZY TO GO AROUND IN CIRCLES AGAIN! 

If we break it down a bit, Werner made an impact in terms of goal contribution early in Tuchel's tenure. So it was normal if he was starting back then and you have Tuchel selecting him for specific games/opponents (e.g. Liverpool at Anfield and Atletico in the second leg), which worked out well. And then you have some games where he didn't play/start. It's also not like the others have been done so great that they deserve to be in the XI every game.

Plus with us playing almost every 3-4 days, there's always gonna be rotation. Maybe Tuchel rotates a bit too much from game to game but he was always gonna rotate anyway.

Do you still think that he deserves to start?

what the fuck GIF

7 minutes ago, Azul said:

Don't want to focus on the negatives, but Werner seriously needs to be benched. It feels like we play with 10 men when he is on. Give CHO/Pulisic a run of games and I'm sure they'll do a better job.

Commentator Danny Mills on talk sport said the same. Werner and Havertz in the team is like playing with 10 men. As they are only worth 0.5 each.

Just now, Pizy said:

Think Kante and probably Ziyech are nailed on for the return leg. Kante for midfield security in place of Jorginho and Ziyech to play those through balls to spring the counter when Porto force things to turn the tie.

Pulisic unlucky tonight.

I had to sit in my driveway to watch the second half on my phone so I didnt miss anything getting in the house, letting the dogs out, and getting the TV on. We are in a great position even though our mid field was mostly bad. We can play ourselves back into form and get to the final.

Just now, Muzchap said:

Commentator Danny Mills on talk sport said the same. Werner and Havertz in the team is like playing with 10 men. As they are only worth 0.5 each.

We can give Havertz a pass, because of his role today. He was never going to win headers against Pepe and Mbemba. 

There was a moment in the game where Werner literally couldn't run with the ball, the ball went behind him when he tried to run with it. That showed that his confidence is finished, there's no point in starting him now.

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

GOD, PLEASE NO! AM TOO TIRED/LAZY TO GO AROUND IN CIRCLES AGAIN! 

If we break it down a bit, Werner made an impact in terms of goal contribution early in Tuchel's tenure. So it was normal if he was starting back then and you have Tuchel selecting him for specific games/opponents (e.g. Liverpool at Anfield and Atletico in the second leg), which worked out well. And then you have some games where he didn't play/start. It's also not like the others have been done so great that they deserve to be in the XI every game.

Plus with us playing almost every 3-4 days, there's always gonna be rotation. Maybe Tuchel rotates a bit too much from game to game but he was always gonna rotate anyway.

That is also true, he started better with TT in Feb (was beginning of Feb he came in right?) but he is more a hinderance than a help just now and has been for a good while. Look at the minute before that Havertz miss he couldn’t even dribble the ball and nearly tripped over it. Which is becoming a regular thing. 

Its at the point where you’d think anyone would be better now would you not agree? We’ve seen coaches play Torres and Morata when they were doing nothing week in and week out, on some premise that they believe they will score or that they can coach them through it etc instead of ignoring the blatantly obvious, the guys in a huge rut maybe wait to a game where your scoring 3,4 or 5 goals and stick him in then (although 3,4 or 5 goals for us this season in one game would be near unheard of). Yes the options weren’t fantastic but either way it didn’t pay off with those guys so what makes people think it will with them? Its virtually the same thing. I mean Its literally deja vu. Surely a smart man like TT can figure that one out? If we were on a piss poor run of form and his job was in danger, relying on someone who’s in a rut like Timo to score you goals, it would be career damaging. 

I mean for me, look at Pulisic tonight, in the 25 minutes he’s come on and had a chance where he has hit the bar/unlucky it hasn't gone in and won a few fouls to relive the pressure on the boys. Can’t remember if hes done an amazing great deal else but in terms of making an impact, he was an inch away from scoring. If he’s having much more of an impact in and around the goal than Werner is or if any player is in limited minutes in comparison, then I am all for seeing them in the team because we need to score goals. Werner had the header chance which to be fair to him its a good position but heading is not his strength.

I hope if TT is to be hopeful of being here in the long run he can find a way to incorporate Pulisic into team. Even more so on the left side of that front 3/attacking trio because surely I cannot be the only one who is sitting baffled at what Werner does over the course of a game or what hes done over the course of the last 2 months nearly?

Imagine we would have gone for jadon sancho instead of havertz and  werner.... well you never know. But what we need is a nimble, fast attacker who also has this little bit of bulk and low centre of gravity to ride challanges and get past the player despite the foul. If Hazard had stopped everytime he got fouled we would not have won all those titles. Kai, timo and Puli always go down like they hit a wall when tackled. Even Willian was better at this. We have lost a lot of attacking fluidity with those two.

4 minutes ago, Azul said:

We can give Havertz a pass, because of his role today. He was never going to win headers against Pepe and Mbemba. 

There was a moment in the game where Werner literally couldn't run with the ball, the ball went behind him when he tried to run with it. That showed that his confidence is finished, there's no point in starting him now.

Pepe and Mbemba are both shorter than Kai and only marginally less skinny but they still play it more physically. Kai just did not put up a fight. He has been in PL for months and still has not put on an ounce of muscle or embraced the physical part of the game.

5 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

That is also true, he started better with TT in Feb (was beginning of Feb he came in right?) but he is more a hinderance than a help just now and has been for a good while. Look at the minute before that Havertz miss he couldn’t even dribble the ball and nearly tripped over it. Which is becoming a regular thing. 

Its at the point where you’d think anyone would be better now would you not agree? We’ve seen coaches play Torres and Morata when they were doing nothing week in and week out, on some premise that they believe they will score or that they can coach them through it etc instead of ignoring the blatantly obvious, the guys in a huge rut maybe wait to a game where your scoring 3,4 or 5 goals and stick him in then (although 3,4 or 5 goals for us this season in one game would be near unheard of). Yes the options weren’t fantastic but either way it didn’t pay off with those guys so what makes people think it will with them? Its virtually the same thing. I mean Its literally deja vu. Surely a smart man like TT can figure that one out? If we were on a piss poor run of form and his job was in danger, relying on someone who’s in a rut like Timo to score you goals, it would be career damaging. 

I mean for me, look at Pulisic tonight, in the 25 minutes he’s come on and had a chance where he has hit the bar/unlucky it hasn't gone in and won a few fouls to relive the pressure on the boys. Can’t remember if hes done an amazing great deal else but in terms of making an impact, he was an inch away from scoring. If he’s having much more of an impact in and around the goal than Werner is or if any player is in limited minutes in comparison, then I am all for seeing them in the team because we need to score goals. Werner had the header chance which to be fair to him its a good position but heading is not his strength.

I hope if TT is to be hopeful of being here in the long run he can find a way to incorporate Pulisic into team. Even more so on the left side of that front 3/attacking trio because surely I cannot be the only one who is sitting baffled at what Werner does over the course of a game or what hes done over the course of the last 2 months nearly?

Anyone with a common sense knows that it does not take much to get into the team at the moment. Werner is complete trash right now. 

If Pulisic is unreliable because of his injuries then give CHO a run. It's a joke that Werner is getting this treatment from fans that act like he's a baby. 

1 minute ago, Magic Lamps said:

Pepe and Mbemba are both shorter than Kai and only marginally less skinny but they still play it more physically. Kai just did not put up a fight. He has been in PL for months and still has not put on an ounce of muscle or embraced the physical part of the game.

He's not physically strong, that's why I said Giroud should start if you've seen my comment before the game. Werner should've been benched for Giroud and Havertz should've been played as a 10 with Mount.