• Kovacic
    • Kante
    • Werner
    • Havertz
    • Mount
    • Tomori (sub)
    • Abraham (sub)
    • Barkley (sub)

It’s good to see Lampard take on his responsibilities, envision his mistakes and point out solutions, the way a leader defends his players.

This goes from bad to worse.

The danger of appointing legendary players to the position of coach is not worth the risk this entails.

What we're in for.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Signings, new players, injured players coming back will help but it won't hide or solve the problems instantly.

As I said earlier, what is Lampard's style of play? What does he actually want us to do? You would think that after one year in charge, we would see a defined style of play, the patterns, the combination and all that and all he needed was better players to fit into that embedded style to make us better. But do you know our style? One game we are trying to dominate the opposition, the next we are playing on the counter attack. One game, we are playing 4-2-3-1, the next we are playing 4-3-3 and hell after that, we would probably play 3-4-3. There's been so many chopping and changing! 

he overthinks shit

1 minute ago, prehuman said:

It’s good to see Lampard take on his responsibilities, envision his mistakes and point out solutions, the way a leader defends his players.

This goes from bad to worse.

The danger of appointing legendary players to the position of coach is not worth the risk this entails.

What we're in for.

Juve might get that with Pirlo too

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Signings, new players, injured players coming back will help but it won't hide or solve the problems instantly.

As I said earlier, what is Lampard's style of play? What does he actually want us to do? You would think that after one year in charge, we would see a defined style of play, the patterns, the combination and all that and all he needed was better players to fit into that embedded style to make us better. But do you know our style? One game we are trying to dominate the opposition, the next we are playing on the counter attack. One game, we are playing 4-2-3-1, the next we are playing 4-3-3 and hell after that, we would probably play 3-4-3. There's been so many chopping and changing! 

This, this, this! This is what I've been saying at half time. It's very confusing

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Thats called adapting your tactics to the occasion. Of course we are not gonna go all guns blazing at the 2nd best counter attacking team in the world. Lampard is tacitcally flexible. Maybe you can consider that  a weakness but it can also be a strength. There have been tactical masterclasses and there have been  blowouts as you would expect. i dont think we would lose this game with 11 men. I think we could have won it with Ziyech, Chilwell and Mendy. Pretty sure Lampard's approach is to get us compact in midfield and overpower teams with the individual quality we now have once all are fit. Not brilliant but will eventually win once everyone gets going. Its the terrible scheduling and the old ghosts of pastmanagers that are messing us up atm.

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think it's pretty clear by the players he's targetted that he wants to play aggressive, front foot attacking football. But when we're missing both starting wingers who are aggressive, front foot players, your new LB who loves more than anything to get forward, and are forced to shuffle players around out of their ideal positions (Mount and Havertz) I think this is the result. We look lost.

I think Frank wants to play much like Liverpool where we press teams into oblivion and assert ourselves. 

Habing a cool head in central defense who can also spray the ball around and keeper who isn't an inter clown should indeed instantly improve us. Everything else will take time.

8 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Thats called adapting your tactics to the occasion. Of course we are not gonna go all guns blazing at the 2nd best counter attacking team in the world. Lampard is tacitcally flexible. Maybe you can consider that  a weakness but it can also be a strength. There have been tactical masterclasses and there have been  blowouts as you would expect. i dont think we would lose this game with 11 men. I think we could have won it with Ziyech, Chilwell and Mendy. Pretty sure Lampard's approach is to get us compact in midfield and overpower teams with the individual quality we now have once all are fit. Not brilliant but will eventually win once everyone gets going. Its the terrible scheduling and the old ghosts of pastmanagers that are messing us up atm.

I don't consider that as a weakness but given our inconsistent performances and the fact that we are trying to build a new team, it's worth questioning whether all the chopping and changing have been too much. We might be better off playing a set, consistent system to get everyone settled before starting to become more flexible with the approach, for example. Moreover, you see with Liverpool under Klopp. They have a defined way of playing, a consistent system used every week and rarely tinker it around. It has worked out pretty well for them in the last 2-3 years, hasn't it? We are more than a year into Lampard's tenure and we are still like guessing the lineup, the system every single game. If we really want to close the gap on Man City, Liverpool etc, then we should try to impose ourselves on the opposition and not so much the other way around. 

I still cannot get over that Christensen's stupidity. That was a mistake of the same level as Kepa's. This is a sort of tackle that you do in the final 15-20 mins when you are taking absolutely no risks. Not in the bloody first half ffs. He absolutely killed everything we did until then. He surely realizes that letting him go 1v1 is still better than getting sent off, with so much time left?

Wait, you don’t seriously expect us to play the same “trying to dominate Brighton” tactic against the scums do you? Even the scums played much less aggressive against us than their last match against Leeds.

6 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I think it's pretty clear by the players he's targetted that he wants to play aggressive, front foot attacking football. But when we're missing both starting wingers who are aggressive, front foot players, your new LB who loves more than anything to get forward, and are forced to shuffle players around out of their ideal positions (Mount and Havertz) I think this is the result. We look lost.

I think Frank wants to play much like Liverpool where we press teams into oblivion and assert ourselves. 

Habing a cool head in central defense who can also spray the ball around and keeper who isn't an inter clown should indeed instantly improve us. Everything else will take time.

Mate, it has been over a year under Lampard. The least we ask for is seeing that defined style of play and improvement from the first season. It's easy to say everything will be better when we have Player X, Y, Z (everyone can say that) but as we all know, things don't work out like that. 

2 minutes ago, Milan said:

I still cannot get over that Christensen's stupidity. That was a mistake of the same level as Kepa's. This is a sort of tackle that you do in the final 15-20 mins when you are taking absolutely no risks. Not in the bloody first half ffs. He absolutely killed everything we did until then. He surely realizes that letting him go 1v1 is still better than getting sent off, with so much time left?

Ever thought are defenders are in panic mode because they no are keeper is about as much use as a 1 armed climber 

2 minutes ago, Ryan Fong said:

Wait, you don’t seriously expect us to play the same “trying to dominate Brighton” tactic against the scums do you? Even the scums played much less aggressive against us than their last match against Leeds.

That was overall, larger point of what we are trying to play. That wasn't specifically about today's game. 

That was overall, larger point of what we are trying to play. That wasn't specifically about today's game. 

But this is only our second game this season, against the scums (I hate keep calling them the champion but they are sadly), and we played possession football for most of the games last season, I don’t see the inconsistency in this regards.

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

Mate, it has been over a year under Lampard. The least we ask for is seeing that defined style of play and improvement from the first season. It's easy to say everything will be better when we have Player X, Y, Z (everyone can say that) but as we all know, things don't work out like that. 

Only a slight worry for me at this point. If we don't see considerable improvement soon I'll start to panic. Leeway has to be given for lack of preseason and short turnaround. If a month from now we look clueless it's time to start thinking about Pochettino.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't consider that as a weakness but given our inconsistent performances and the fact that we are trying to build a new team, it's worth questioning whether all the chopping and changing have been too much. We might be better off playing a set, consistent system to get everyone settled before starting to become more flexible with the approach, for example. Moreover, you see with Liverpool under Klopp. They have a defined way of playing, a consistent system used every week and rarely tinker it around. It has worked out pretty well for them in the last 2-3 years, hasn't it? We are more than a year into Lampard's tenure and we are still like guessing the lineup, the system every single game. If we really want to close the gap on Man City, Liverpool etc, then we should try to impose ourselves on the opposition and not so much the other way around. 

Bang on.

I feel we have no identity at the minute, we don't know what we're going to get, I saw good signs early last season of a fast style of play, we have since gone really backwards from that in my opinion and loads of back and forth changes,

Joringho is the 1 that sums it up for me really, not the only 1 but he went from being our captain to the bench to not even in the squad now he is our captain again today.

The longer Frank has been here the more he can't make his mind up , I know it's really early and hope im wrong but I feel we are going backwards. 

We don't dominate games, we have a multi million pound team and we still looked lifeless and void of ideas against Brighton and again today it's negative, negative, negative all the time.

Something doesn't add up.

4 minutes ago, Ryan Fong said:

But this is only our second game this season, against the scums (I hate keep calling them the champion but they are sadly), and we played possession football for most of the games last season, I don’t see the inconsistency in this regards.

Worth remembering that we also played Liverpool in the second game last season and we looked better and played with much more attacking intent back then, when it was 11 v 11.

And yeah, today's only the second game of this season but it's under the same manager, not a new one. If we really played possession football, then WTF did we have so many basketball-esque games last season? Why did opponents make so many inroads and cause us defensive problems last season? That shouldn't have happened as much as it did if we really played possession football and dominated games.