6. Thiago Silva

Jase

This guy is unreal. He's still our best centre back option and a genuine world class player at 38 years old!

I know there could be that drop off at some point eventually, but I wouldn't put it past him earning another year contract. I know the World Cup was the goal for him to make and so this Chelsea move was just as beneficial to him from that perspective to continue playing at the highest level, and maybe that will be his call to then go back to play in Brazil for the last year or two of his career but I'd love to see him stay and finish his career here.

On 06/10/2022 at 16:00, Superblue_1986 said:

but I wouldn't put it past him earning another year contract

He has said he wants to play in top league footie until 40 years old, like Maldini did.

That would mean the 2023/2024 season, and then the final one, 2024/2025

Born: September 22, 1984 (age 38 years), Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

4 minutes ago, Vesper said:

He has said he wants to play in top league footie until 40 years old, like Maldini did.

That would mean the 2023/2024 season, and then the final one, 2024/2025

Born: September 22, 1984 (age 38 years), Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Christopher Vivell, our new technical director, is over 2 years YOUNGER (born Dec 15, 1986) than Thiago, roflmaoooooooooooo

On 06/10/2022 at 15:00, Superblue_1986 said:

This guy is unreal. He's still our best centre back option and a genuine world class player at 38 years old!

I know there could be that drop off at some point eventually, but I wouldn't put it past him earning another year contract. I know the World Cup was the goal for him to make and so this Chelsea move was just as beneficial to him from that perspective to continue playing at the highest level, and maybe that will be his call to then go back to play in Brazil for the last year or two of his career but I'd love to see him stay and finish his career here.

Depends on what he wants. PL is tough. He may decide after this year he would be better off in a league like Italy where he can play at a slower pace. I think next year is 50/50 but the one after that I think he leaves unless he has absolutely fallen in love with London. Ideal situation would be that he becomes a player/coach after next season. Reckon he would be quality in a coaching role. 

9 hours ago, King Kante said:

Depends on what he wants. PL is tough. He may decide after this year he would be better off in a league like Italy where he can play at a slower pace. I think next year is 50/50 but the one after that I think he leaves unless he has absolutely fallen in love with London. Ideal situation would be that he becomes a player/coach after next season. Reckon he would be quality in a coaching role. 

Possibly but I've given up second guessing when Silva will wind down/hit father time. I thought 21/22 he would have more a squad role but the total opposite happened.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Blue Armour said:

I hope he shows the same form he showed before the break, and I hope Todd & Co. renew his contract for 1 more year., and not just make a 'practical' decision based on his age.

he said he wants to equal Maldini and play topflight Euro football until he is 40, which would mean 2 more seasons, as he would turn 40 a couple months into the 2024/25 season.

atm I see no reason why he could not do that

Maldini's last match was on May 31, 2009, 4 weeks before he turned 41 (Beckham started in it too, lol)

and for total symmetry, the CB who replaced him the next season, in 2009/10, after 25 years at AC Milan, was............................. Thiago Silva

25e4316d58508d8c6a3cad40152ab298.png21645d3c230cfe4009ec8a7dc438ca86.png

Edited by Vesper

3 hours ago, bigbluewillie said:

And look at that Milan bench too🤩

I still cannot believe THIS 2005/2006 AC Milan side blew a 3 nil lead in the CL final to the bindippers

what the fuck!

515f2c2dae51e2fdde7f598c5ecacde5.png

still one of the biggest CL final upsets in the past 25 or 30 years (us in 2012 is similar)

every player in their starting XI was a monster with a great career

aged a bit by then for some, that was a key

AC Milan (I will not count 1995, when they lost to a SUPERB Ajax side) also had a huge upset in 1993, when they lost to Marseille

but Milan did win in 1989, 1990, 1994, 2003, and 2007, and would have won in 1992 as well, but their best team ever (the unbeaten 1991/92 Gli invincibili), were banned from the CL for 91/92 for walking off the pitch the year before against, ironically Marseille, in the 'Lights Out' game)

the 1993 upset game (Deschamps' first massive trophy, he won more with Juve, CL, Super Cup, and the Intercontinental Cup, ie the old club world championship):

56c319f19bde2961a915d907115ec9b4.png

9 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

I hope he shows the same form he showed before the break, and I hope Todd & Co. renew his contract for 1 more year., and not just make a 'practical' decision based on his age.

If he's still performing the most practical decision is to renew his contract and push back shelling out millions to replace him for another year.

2 hours ago, chelsea_4_eva said:

I know he hasn't been here long but to me he deserves a banner at SB, a true professional and legend of the game. This man oozes class.

when next season starts, he will have been at Chels longer than he was at both AC Milan and at Fluminense

18 hours ago, Vesper said:

he said he wants to equal Maldini and play topflight Euro football until he is 40, which would mean 2 more seasons, as he would turn 40 a couple months into the 2024/25 season.

atm I see no reason why he could not do that

Maldini's last match was on May 31, 2009, 4 weeks before he turned 41 (Beckham started in it too, lol)

and for total symmetry, the CB who replaced him the next season, in 2009/10, after 25 years at AC Milan, was............................. Thiago Silva

25e4316d58508d8c6a3cad40152ab298.png21645d3c230cfe4009ec8a7dc438ca86.png

Hopefully I'm being too paranoid but I am a little worried about him now the world cup is over.

When he signed he made it pretty clear playing in Qatar was his main driver to keep going so unless he has developed some burning desire to lift the PL (which lets be honest we won't be anywhere near favs to do while he's here) I worry he may finally succumb to father time.

I really, really hope I'm wrong.

On 24/12/2022 at 03:40, Tomo said:

Hopefully I'm being too paranoid but I am a little worried about him now the world cup is over.

When he signed he made it pretty clear playing in Qatar was his main driver to keep going so unless he has developed some burning desire to lift the PL (which lets be honest we won't be anywhere near favs to do while he's here) I worry he may finally succumb to father time.

I really, really hope I'm wrong.

Yeah I've thought about that too.

He has made it clear that his family likes London, and that he would like to stay another year. Plus the CL knockout rounds are still there, so at least for the rest of this season, he should be motivated enough.

'Remarkable' talent has been Chelsea's best player throughout 2022 - TCC View

https://www.thechelseachronicle.com/analysis/remarkable-talent-has-been-chelseas-best-player-throughout-2022-tcc-view/

download.jpg

With 2022 nearly over, it’s time to pick out the Chelsea player of the year.

It’s been a turbulent calendar year for the Blues, losing both the FA Cup and Carabao Cup finals on penalties to rivals Liverpool.

There’s been a change of management at Stamford Bridge as well, with Graham Potter replacing fan favourite Thomas Tuchel back in September.

It’s been a bit of a mixed bag across the board from this Blues squad. Some have shone brightly at various points, but it’s obvious by the team’s current positioning of eighth in the Premier League table that there’s plenty to improve on.

However, we’ve selected the outstanding candidate for Chelsea’s best-performing individual of 2022.

download.jpg

Chelsea player of the year

In our view, Thiago Silva is the pick of the bunch in Chelsea colours this season.

Now 38, the veteran defender continues to set the standards on and off the pitch around the club.

He’s one of the few players in this squad you can bank on to play most games, featuring in 28 of Chelsea’s 32 Premier League matches during the calendar year so far.

There’s teammates in the squad that have dazzled in patches. For example, 23-year-old attacking midfielder Mason Mount has been integral in certain moments, especially towards the back end of last season.

Also, Reece James is only kept out of this conversation due to his poor luck with injuries this year. When fit, the full-back is the player the side look to for inspiration.

Silva is the definition of consistent

Silva’s greatest strength has to be to constantly churn out 7/10 or 8/10 performances every single game.

Chelsea have clearly lost their defensive steel in 2022, which played a role in Tuchel’s departure.

Silva has still been the glue at the heart of defence trying to keep everything together, though.

The Brazilian centre-half has to keep playing as long as he feels right in his own body, albeit perhaps Potter should proceed with caution in these immediate games post-World Cup. After all, he’s just finished captaining Brazil out in Qatar.

Described as “remarkable” by Martin Keown for his World Cup performances, Silva does go against the grain by delivering such top-class displays with such regularity.

It’ll be another privilege if Chelsea get to see him boss things again in 2023.

Edited by Vesper

• 4 weeks later...