6. Thiago Silva

Jase

2 minutes ago, Blues Forever said:

Well if Rudiger, Christensen, and Azpilicueta are gone this summer, more likely we will switch for a back four.

I don't see how we retain Silva and then play him in a back 4. 

Even if those 3 defenders leave, Tuchel could just buy their replacements and stick with a back 3. The caveat maybe being he could get defenders who are comfortable in both systems. 

1 minute ago, Jase said:

I don't see how we retain Silva and then play him in a back 4

Even if those 3 defenders leave, Tuchel could just buy their replacements and stick with a back 3. The caveat maybe being he could get defenders who are comfortable in both systems. 

Silva recently played with a back four during Copa America, i'm sure he will be fine as long as we have fast CB beside him.

Just now, Blues Forever said:

Silva recently played with a back four during Copa America, i'm sure he will be fine as long as we have fast CB beside him.

But international football is different to the Premier League. 

Plus, it's not even just about having a fast CB beside Silva. It's also about whether Tuchel can still play the pressing game effectively for example. Can we still press high effectively with Silva in a back 4 and when he's more exposed compared to a back 3? 

Just like those 3 other players you mentioned, Silva's best work for us has come in a back 3. Big question mark over him in a back 4 with us. 

8 minutes ago, Jase said:

But international football is different to the Premier League. 

Plus, it's not even just about having a fast CB beside Silva. It's also about whether Tuchel can still play the pressing game effectively for example. Can we still press high effectively with Silva in a back 4 and when he's more exposed compared to a back 3? 

Just like those 3 other players you mentioned, Silva's best work for us has come in a back 3. Big question mark over him in a back 4 with us. 

Tuchel will find a way to make it work, Silva is still class in a back four whether with Brazil or PSG.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

FFS no break for Silva, he will play for Brazil on January 27th and February 1st.

Still give him at least 5 days off after that, he can miss Plymouth and get match fitness against Al Hilal on February 9th.

He's made no secret of the fact that playing in the next world cup is the main thing still driving him.

This is just a trade off we have to suck up.

4 hours ago, Tomo said:

He's made no secret of the fact that playing in the next world cup is the main thing still driving him.

This is just a trade off we have to suck up.

yeah but he could make a deal with their coach that he can play the world cup but sit out those meaningless fixtures till then. i think he is just a driven man who still wants to play as much as possible and not every coach manages to save him from himself.

16 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

yeah but he could make a deal with their coach that he can play the world cup but sit out those meaningless fixtures till then. i think he is just a driven man who still wants to play as much as possible and not every coach manages to save him from himself.

International football is as prestigious as it gets for a player though hence why even at 37 or 38, Silva obviously still remains that keen to play. That will not change for as long as football is played. Plus TS is still just as good as anybody out there and still Brazil’s best CB so I don’t get the logic in a coach making such a deal. And anyway, this ‘deal’ your talking about, when do you see this sort of deal with any other big player for a NT? It doesn’t happen. The closest thing to it is when players return from long term injuries and coaches leave them out as it isn’t best suited to make them play. 

6 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

International football is as prestigious as it gets for a player though hence why even at 37 or 38, Silva obviously still remains that keen to play. That will not change for as long as football is played. Plus TS is still just as good as anybody out there and still Brazil’s best CB so I don’t get the logic in a coach making such a deal. And anyway, this ‘deal’ your talking about, when do you see this sort of deal with any other big player for a NT? It doesn’t happen. The closest thing to it is when players return from long term injuries and coaches leave them out as it isn’t best suited to make them play. 

I disagree, international football sucks and ja rightly shunned by more and more viewers

most ppl I know don’t bother watching qualification games and friendlies anymore . 

the World Cup is still a hit sadly but apart from that not exactly prestigious 

Messi did this in 2016 btw. Temporarily Resigned from the nt till wc 2018

Maybe it's a topic of discussion once he's finished up here as hopefully there is much more to come but where do people think Thiago Silva currently ranks amongst free transfer signings for Chelsea?

Off the top of my head I think the competition for that 'title' would be Ballack, Poyet, Gullit and Vialli.

There are some notable others like Eto'o and Melchiot was a decent signing too on a free but ultimately I think they'd fall below those above.