Declan Rice

NikkiCFC

To be honest even if Rice was being brought to play in midfield I think it would still have a significant positive effect on our defence because they've been given little protection most of the season. Cutting a good percentage of attacks off before they really start would help a lot.

I heard something the other day that PSG may make a move for Ronaldo. They look like they are in 'win-now' mode for the Champions League as I don't think they'll keep Mbappe away from Real Madrid for much longer. I just wonder whether we could shop Kante to them for a good fee whilst his stock is still high (i.e. similar money to what Rice would cost).

There will be lots of media and pundits calling us mad for selling Kante and replacing him with Rice but bringing in a young player yet to enter his prime to play in a position that looks natural to him compared to a player who has been decimated by injury the last 12 months and doesn't naturally fit into the system we're trying to play would be a sensible move.

4 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

There will be lots of media and pundits calling us mad for selling Kante and replacing him with Rice but bringing in a young player yet to enter his prime to play in a position that looks natural to him compared to a player who has been decimated by injury the last 12 months and doesn't naturally fit into the system we're trying to play would be a sensible move.

I can easily see why this sell Kante narrative is enticing, but i think it would be a mistake to sell him if we really are competing to get back to the top, which it seems is what the club intends to do.

OK he's been injured most of the season, has probably peaked and carries a much higher price tag now than he would in 2-3 years BUT.

- He's been injured this season, but this could be a one off, and he could be fit the next 2/3 seasons at peak level, who knows.

- When fit he's still one of the best midfielders in the world and improves our squad.

- Lampard has shown he wants to be tactically flexible and resort to a 3-4-3 formation, where Kante fits in nicely.

- Chelsea is renowned for not selling their best players. While it makes sense from a financial standpoint, it does not if the club really wants to challenge the likes of pool/city.

- Let's be real for a sec, we all love our wee man, of course we don't want to sell him :wub:

3 minutes ago, Styl1994 said:

Barkley 30m and Ampadu on loan for a year for Rice would be a good deal for everyone.

That’s the problem

No one else rates or wants our dregs either. As  nice a pipe dream as it is, I don’t think we will be able to make any deal that includes some of our washed up players +cash swap vs a player we actually want. 

10 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

He played CB a few times last year and looked good at it. They have definitely been training him in the position. It also provides flexibility to change the defensive shape without substituting players in.

eb7bad80caf7ab1c228b891385806994.png56c0a41d1c3987e988455ab38787645b.pnge1ca04bb17b85d0732fa4e70406e444d.png382609e07658b8b6dc817d89c96d919a.pngf1385b76c797886c46de0ee8db5fecff.png32e3c80a589025f87f84af7d36022be6.pngc5eb775b02a489121ffdbcab111fa51c.pngc64623992c16459e5b0ea03689f0298c.png

5 minutes ago, Rapkun said:

@Vesper They're definitely wrong. He played a few games at CB this season. Off the top of my head I remember watching WHU Wolves and he played there next to Diop.

here is that game

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spielbericht/index/spielbericht/3219164

4411bb7652b4f0f9c9163be4d1d4d494.png

d59c0e411af7187bc9f7cd3ffa837cb3.png

12 minutes ago, Vesper said:

look at the dates

Oh, I thought you generated every game in which he played at CB. My bad.

I thought he played very well in that game btw. He's very interesting as a CB option. My only worry is that he's not as dominant in the air as we would like him to be. He's agressive but his presence alone is not enough. You need to play someone else next to him who is at least equally as good in the air. Otherwise I think he has all the tools to be a great CB.

25 minutes ago, Rapkun said:

Oh, I thought you generated every game in which he played at CB. My bad.

I thought he played very well in that game btw. He's very interesting as a CB option. My only worry is that he's not as dominant in the air as we would like him to be. He's agressive but his presence alone is not enough. You need to play someone else next to him who is at least equally as good in the air. Otherwise I think he has all the tools to be a great CB.

I was just showing he used to play a lot of CB in the past

I think he is more need atm at DMF TBH, but if we do not buy any CB's then I guess they have full intent to play him there mostly

we just have to see what pans out in our buys

Dunk would deffo aid Rice at CB, as would Ginter, they are bother 1.91m/1.92m beasts in the air and are great positional defenders as well

Lukas Klostermann is also close in height (1.89m) and is good in the air too (and is the best of the 3 on the ball)

Tapsoba is 1.92m, but I so doubt Bayer Leverkusen will let him go now as I am not sure how thrilled they are with us going hard for Havertz, and TBH, I want to see another season from him at top level

then there is this

Report: Fiorentina want €40m (£36m) for Milenkovic

https://www.football-italia.net/157041/report-fiorentina-want-€40m-milenkovic

Would love to see him lined up with Kante in a lower midfield block allowing the likes of Ziyech, Mount, CHO, Pulisic, RLC, etc the reigns to do what they do best (attack). 

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You