Timo Werner

Captain Ahmed

Lol, I just care more about Chelsea. That is my agenda. I want the best of the best. I don't see that in Werner and I have given arguments for it.
Instead of giving counter arguments why Werner is a world class player, you just insult me. Most of the times I read that he is a World class finisher. I have proven that this is not the case.

By the way, I also do not want Immobile at Chelsea. Was just an example that looking just at goal stats is not the way to go. He has shown at BVB that he is not good enough either.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

You are allowed to be sceptical of a signing lol its not like they read the forums and our criticism dents their confidence or something

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Timo Werner – How Chelsea recruit became one of Europe's most feared strikers

In terms of goals-per-minute, Werner currently ranks higher than Lionel Messi, Mohamed Salah and Neymar

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/06/05/timo-werner-chelsea-recruit-became-one-europes-feared-strikers/

10c32b264e150ee815496bce1b75fa72.jpg

As a man who was once driven to dizziness by the deafening sound of a Turkish home crowd, Timo Werner could hardly have been blamed for being affected by all the noise around his future.

For months now, each week has brought a new rumour about where he might go or which club is leading the race for his signature. Through it all, though, this ruthless 24-year-old has remained focused on underlining his status as one of Europe’s most feared strikers.

Now, at last, the speculation can end. As reported by Telegraph Sport on Thursday night, Werner has agreed to join Chelsea, with Frank Lampard’s side on the brink of tying up a deal reported to be worth around £53 million. Even in these strange times, with transfer fees expected to shrink as a result of the coronavirus crisis, it feels like shrewd business. 

The move to Chelsea caps quite the turnaround for Werner, who not long ago was the most hated player at Germany’s most hated club. RB Leipzig are still widely detested in Germany, but the distaste for Werner has gradually turned into admiration for a striker who appears perfectly suited to the physical demands of the Premier League.

There is a versatility to Werner’s game that makes him such an exciting attacking player: he can run in behind with his speed but he can also operate on the wings or in a deeper forward position. 

“Timo now has a good sense not only of letting himself attack on the wing, but also of going into the No 10 position,” said Julian Nagelsmann, Werner’s coach at Leipzig, after a hat-trick against Mainz last month. “Coupled with his speed, this makes him more variable and more difficult for his opponents to get to grips with him.”

In Europe’s top five leagues, only two players ⁠— Bayern Munich’s Robert Lewandowski and Lazio’s Ciro Immobile ⁠— have scored more league goals than Werner this season. In terms of goals-per-minute, Werner currently ranks higher than Lionel Messi, Mohamed Salah and Neymar. No player in the continent’s leading divisions has scored more than his five goals from “fast breaks”, which highlights his counter-attacking potential.

“He is absolutely rapid, but that is not one of the qualities I would say sticks out the most,” Leipzig’s Tyler Adams told ESPN. “I would say one of the qualities that sticks out the most is how many ways he is able to score: from the right, left, centrally.

“We have played him as a No 10 this year and he is running out of midfield and scoring goals. There are just so many different dynamics that you can fit him in, and that is what makes him such a unique piece.

“If you’re able to score in that many different ways, you’re going to be able to play at the highest level for a very long time, the biggest clubs in the world, for the national team scoring goals.

“He’s a pleasure to play with. Obviously it makes it easy as a midfielder that you can just hit the ball over the top and know that he’s going to catch it, no matter what.”

It is easy to see why it was assumed that Liverpool would be the perfect fit for Werner. He has even said so himself, pointing out that his high-energy style of play would suit Jurgen Klopp’s approach. But Liverpool are understood to have stalled on his release clause, providing Chelsea with an opportunity to make a decisive move this week.

Although he represents a significant loss of talent from the German league, few outside Leipzig will be upset by Werner’s departure. The club’s rapid rise, fuelled by the investment of drinks company Red Bull, has earned them plenty of enemies in their 11 years of existence.

Werner was the first Leipzig player to represent Germany and a national anger was channeled towards him following a dive in December 2016, for which he later apologised. In his second appearance for his country, at the age of 21, he was booed and whistled by his own supporters.

“That is simply not OK,” Joachim Low, the Germany manager, said at the time. Werner added: “People are making a big thing out of it because I play for RB Leipzig.

His reputation was not helped by an extraordinary night in Turkey a few months later, when he asked to be substituted during a Champions League match against Besiktas. The noise of the crowd had left him needing ear plugs, and then he left the pitch feeling dizzy. “As a coach it is important to see who I can rely on in moments like this,” said a scathing Ralph Hasenhuttl, his manager at the time. 

Werner had joined Leipzig from Stuttgart, where he had been prolific at youth level before becoming their youngest ever first-team player at the age of 17. He has struck 92 times in 154 games for Leipzig, and 11 times in 29 international appearances for Germany. 

With numbers like these, and such obvious talent, there is some surprise he has remained at Leipzig this long. He was expected by many to join Bayern Munich last summer before slipping through their grasp. If he can maintain his current form, in a different league and a different team, then Bayern’s loss is sure to be Chelsea’s gain.

17 hours ago, killer1257 said:

Havertz would have been my dream CF signing. Tall and technically near world class with great passing. He can many positions just like Havertz

But with 60 mio Euros, there is not much eisk involved. Even if he does not perform. Werner still is a big name and we can get more or less the same money back

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

I think without release clause havertz will cost 100m+. 

Werner will play high on the left, quite similar to puli role. He will be asked predominantly to make run behind which is what his best strength is, and we will have ziyech creating from the right. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I had an eye on that thread as soon as the Werner deal broke through.......manu ass is burning atm. Suddenly he aint all that.....and seemingly they have a far better team than ours, only 2-3 of our players will get in theirs lol. Some of them have given us credit for Werner though.

"When he’s matched for pace along the backline, he isn’t as effective. So, this season, when Bayern Munich were forced to push Alphonso Davies to left back and David Alaba to center-back, Werner wasn’t productive. I look at teams in the Premier League and think that he could struggle against the likes of Liverpool. But, slower defenses like Sheffield United and Arsenal would get carved up by Werner."

Would have loved to have heard his opinion of which position and formation he suits.

2 minutes ago, Supermonkey92 said:

"When he’s matched for pace along the backline, he isn’t as effective. So, this season, when Bayern Munich were forced to push Alphonso Davies to left back and David Alaba to center-back, Werner wasn’t productive. I look at teams in the Premier League and think that he could struggle against the likes of Liverpool. But, slower defenses like Sheffield United and Arsenal would get carved up by Werner."

Would have loved to have heard his opinion of which position and formation he suits.

That is why Werner wants to develop and is developing his all round game to be a multi-dimensional forward. He's said publicly that he needs to improve. 

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Oh boy, some German dude is gonna be on your arse... :ph34r:

I know he is seen more as a player who plays in a 2 upfront but surely if we are spending 50m on him he will be used as a striker and not outwide? 

I know he is seen more as a player who plays in a 2 upfront but surely if we are spending 50m on him he will be used as a striker and not outwide? 
You'd hope so. I'm still confident pulisic is the better player out wide. I'm hoping he plays central

I can't see us going two up top and you don't pay this much for a player to make him a squad member.

I'm not a massive Tammy fan, I think he is way off what we need. I'm not saying before football stopped he didn't do well, he did, but if we are kick on we need a top class striker and Werner is the complete article he can and will be IMO.

We have Pulisic, Ziyech and CHO as our wingers to name a few, someone is going to miss out, for me it will be Werner through the middle with Tammy missing out.

2 hours ago, Fernando said:

How soon do we do know it's official?

I still worry Liverpool might come in with a late bid. :(

Nahh they would have made some noise if that was the case, its a wrap this one. Peter chech yourself and super Frankie brought this one home :getin: