Barcelona 1-2 Chelsea

Jase

Just now, Pizy said:

Couldn't watch, how did Mason and Pulisic look? Have they shown enough in their brief appearences so far to convince you they can start against United?

Both looks good.

Tactically and pressing wise I think mount is better than Barkley but Barkley is better on the ball. 

Puli looks good. Better than Willian, hard to tell. Barca played  other busquet as rcb and he was quite bad 

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

The only real negative is this side will be swapped for the scratch team at some point in the second half. The only question mark is Giroud or Tammy but beyond that this is the side we should see at Old Trafford assuming none of the injured lot return on time.

I reckon that Mason vs Ross is also a debate.

2 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I reckon that Mason vs Ross is also a debate.

My thinking on that subject is that it suits as it is at the minute. Mount starting for his pressing/off the ball actions while Barkley then comes on against tired legs to exploit the space as he's at his most effective when a game is stretched. 

Although that said it would be harsh not to give Ross chances to start after his performances, good headache to have either way and we're very lucky to have such after losing Ruben.

Chelsea press conference live: Frank Lampard on Barcelona win, Abraham, Barkley & more

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/fixtures-results/live-chelsea-press-conference-lampard-16631862

14:06

On the matches in Japan

We’ve had two difficult games in humidity. The tour has served its purpose. We need to be fit and ready for Manchester United, and the clock runs down pretty quickly at this stage. Now we just have to keep working.

14:04

On Willian being the number 10

There’s no confirmation on that decision. It will be taken in due course. Hopefully his return to training date will be early August.

14:03

On Tammy Abraham

I won’t get carried away with anything about this performance. Tammy’s a goalscorer and he’s hungry for goals. Now it’s his time to prove it for Chelsea. To get his goal will put him in good stead. There’s competition. Mason’s had a great trip and he’s announced himself into the first team squad. 

14:02

On the workload

In terms of the workload, the players have to get used to it now. I’ve set the standard of how I want them to work 

14:02

On the tour

It’s been a good tour and it’s always good to come to Japan. Most importantly it is work and both games have been good exercises for us. What I’ve learnt about the players is that they are a good group. I’m very happy.

58 minutes ago, communicate said:

As shot stopper he still need a lot of work. His response is not quick enough. 

I hope, for the sake of my health, that Marcin fails to get games in Paris and that, if he does, he struggles. If it goes the opposite way; if he gets some games and does well, I'm going to remember how I felt when we spent £71m to deny the lad a chance. I can really do without that grief.

56 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Barca is going to rue the fact they let de Ligt go to Juve

I am NOT impressed with their CB's atm

Umtiti looks a shell of what he was in 2017-18 and the WC

Pique is ageing

and Lenglet, whilst he might start for us

is not good enough at this exact point to carry the water for the other 2 at what is arguably the best club in the world (or expects to be)

Jean-Claire Todibo may get there in 3, 4 years but the lad only just turned 19 half a year ago

that is literally the only 4 CB's they have

Most likely will cost them here and there. Yeah they should have swooped for deligt when they went for dejong. I wonder if we would have gone for deligt if not for the ban.....probably not.

20 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I hope, for the sake of my health, that Marcin fails to get games in Paris and that, if he does, he struggles. If it goes the opposite way; if he gets some games and does well, I'm going to remember how I felt when we spent £71m to deny the lad a chance. I can really do without that grief.

Bulka is not that good at distribution

only reason he gets people excited is he is 1.99m

if he was all that and a bag of chips we would have binned Willie and handed the backup GK kit to him

in terms of young Polish keepers

I would take Bartlomiej Dragowski over Bulka all day long

Was Barca’s first game, and if you’ve watched them last season, their defense wasn’t the issue. It was the space in midfield that was open to exploit, left by Busquets and Rakitic. 

Valverde is going to prevent them from winning the CL. Not their defense. 

5 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Most likely will cost them here and there. Yeah they should have swooped for deligt when they went for dejong. I wonder if we would have gone for deligt if not for the ban.....probably not.

de Ligt would not have come here so I am not going to lose sleep over him atm

the 4 we should have made moves on last summer were

Lucas Hernández   (I still like him as a LB but he is so not leaving Bayern anytime soon, he will be their next superstar back)

or
José Giménez  (still at AM and will cost INSANE now, plus AM will never cough him up now that they lost LH and Godin)

or
Milan Skriniar    (renwed at Inter)

or

Éder Militão (now at RM)

leaving for summer 2020

Ibrahima Konaté <<<< my number one (as of now) 2020 target at CB (unless he regresses at RB Leipzig, which I so doubt)

and number 2

Rúben Dias at Benfica (I think he might still be there next summer)

number 3

Evan N'Dicka at Eintracht Frankfiurt

number 4

Boubacar Kamara at Olympic Marseille

number 5

Dan Axel Zagadou at Dortmund

Watched the entire first half. 4-2-3-1 with Mount in the hole and Pulisic and Pedro out wide. 

I think Tammy gave a great account of himself. With Tammy, Pulisic and Mount there is actually pressing in the final third. Mount was neat. Brought down few balls sent over the top from defense also. This looks like direct play, move the ball forward quickly and incisively. Just not sure if long balls from defense will work in the PL.

Pulisic had a couple of good openings. He scuffed a shot after a neat move involving Azpi on the right Full backs are pressing right up, which is good to see. He was sending in only low crosses.

Midfield of Kova-Jorgi was bypassed too often. Particularly could not get to grips with that Barca kid. Thankfully we have Kante, RLC there

Defense is suspect too. Interestingly, Tomori and Zouma came on in the second half although I didn't watch either play