Didier Drogba

DYC.

Incredible this really.

How a single person can have this much influence on the dressing room is incredible. Even before he was rumoured to come, there were reports his team-bonding attitude was severely lacking and them wasn't as united as they were when he was here.

Some call that player-power, I call that simple leadership. Terry couldn't lead on his own, especially when his own position was under scrutiny for most the season. Drogba knew he wasn't #1 on the team sheet and that didn't bother him. His role went beyond that.

Montreal Impact has begun the search for a new striker as Ivorian player Didier Drogba accepts the offer as an assistant coach. #CFCCFC.png (AS)

It is clear that the offer tempts Drogba to start a new phase in his career. #CFCCFC.png (AS)

Montreal Impact is preparing for the departure of Didier Drogba for Chelsea (via @lequipe) #CFCCFC.png #IMFC

I hope this does have the required effect.

But I hope Drogba goes in an absolutely skins them first a foremost. As a fan like us, he's got to be appalled with the lack of 'performance' from most of these guys.

Then he can go about doing whatever it is he's been brought in for. Whether it's hugging, joking or actually coaching.

I'm happy either way. DD plays for my local club Montreal Impact in the MLS. He has done incredibly well in a very weak MLS league last summer. Was looking forward to seeing one of my fav Chelsea alumni destroy MLS all season long but if he's going to leave Montreal for Chelsea I'm fine with that.

sweet!!  Re-bienvenue à la maison Didier!

Well spotted Namika. Montreal's local sports broadcaster also picked up the article.

http://www.rds.ca/soccer/impact/selon-le-quotidien-francais-l-equipe-didier-drogba-a-choisi-de-prendre-officiellement-sa-retraite-1.2803492

I love the big guy, obviously, but other than a morale boost for the remainder of this season what's really the point in appointing him in an official coaching capacity? Could he not accomplish the same by watching from the stands and maybe just hang around training every once in a while?

Will he just leave in 6 months time when the next manager comes in?