Gonzalo Higuain

the wes

35 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

I wouldn't be opposed to have him another year or two. 

Indeed. A younger but proven striker of similar quality would cost 100 million or more and I don't think the club is willing to spend anywhere near that much. Rather take the option to buy Higuain for 25 million and buy another younger striker (like Belotti or Jovic) who fits the system but doesn't cost a fortune. Some say Batshuayi could be good enough for that 2nd striker role but I don't buy it – he isn't anywhere near good enough to play at this level

4 hours ago, !Hazard! said:

Indeed. A younger but proven striker of similar quality would cost 100 million or more and I don't think the club is willing to spend anywhere near that much. Rather take the option to buy Higuain for 25 million and buy another younger striker (like Belotti or Jovic) who fits the system but doesn't cost a fortune. Some say Batshuayi could be good enough for that 2nd striker role but I don't buy it – he isn't anywhere near good enough to play at this level

Belotti and Jovic will cost 50-75m each. Belotti isnt even worth it.

On 2/14/2019 at 10:43 AM, MoroccanBlue said:

I wouldn't be opposed to have him another year or two. 

This is a perception that is difficult for us to have - the coaches who who have access and assess his physical condition do.

From the outside, he looks better fit than Giroud actually, who may no longer be suited for a back up either.

Not a big Higuain fan, but wouldn't mind him staying either, but only if we also have younger prospect(s) along.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, !Hazard! said:

Actually he seems like a decent pundit. Much more interesting to hear him speak than the usual Jamie Redknapps and Michael Owens

Definitely. I think as a ex player it is more difficult to go to being a good pundit as opposed to a ex manager.

Mourinho knows how to analyse games and how to analyse players better than the Redknapp's, Owens, etc who have 0 managerial or coaching experience at the top level. He made some very good points regarding El Classico too, particularly about Ivan Rakitic.

4 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Definitely. I think as a ex player it is more difficult to go to being a good pundit as opposed to a ex manager.

Mourinho knows how to analyse games and how to analyse players better than the Redknapp's, Owens, etc who have 0 managerial or coaching experience at the top level. He made some very good points regarding El Classico too, particularly about Ivan Rakitic.

I think it depends on the manager too.

For example, when asked the question, Mourinho was one of the few pundits who said it wasn't really a problem to play Kante outside the CDM role. He felt Kante has the quality to play anywhere on the pitch. This is different from the useless narrative which states that putting Kante back in the lone CDM role (where he never really has played in the past for Chelsea or Leicester), would solve all our problems.

Someone like Tim Sherwood on the other hand....

This is off topic,

But as a side note, I hope his rest on the sidelines helps Mourinho recover some of his mojo back. He already looks to be more like himself, and in control.

Still love what he did for Chelsea during his 3 PL title runs, and despite whatever crap happened afterwards, it doesn't overshadow what he's achieved with the club.

His take on the Kepa situation and his take on Sarri ball are also interesting

https://www.beinsports.com/en/premier-league/video/premier-league-jose-mourinho-reaction/1129197

On Higuain,

His movement and intelligence is there.

But just like Pedro and Willian, his age has affected his sharpness a bit, and he's unable to make the most of it 100% of the time. Like how he took too many touches in the box when sent through by Hazard, or fumbled the ball over the top from Jorginho.

Against the very best defenses, he won't get too many chances to redeem himself in the same game, like he was able to do so today.

The good thing is that unlike Morata, he doesn't let his head go down.

Because he's experienced, he knows what works. And he'll keep trying again to eventually score. We can get away with this with lesser sides, but I imagine we would need our other goal scorers to be at their top when the 2-3 really big games come, later in the season.

His job is to score goals and put the lesser sides to the sword which we've struggled to do a lot of the season. Not concerned with United and liverpool games, if he can help us win the other 8 games I think that would be enough for top 4. 

Hes no longer at his peak but is such a huge upgrade and boost still on morata.