Olivier Giroud

milka

36 minutes ago, Alabama said:

I hope it doesn't end up that way though credible links have us busy this coming summer window...but not much movements just hope we sign quality players like right winger:Havertz or Sancho left back: Chillwell or Telles and a quality centre back I dont have any preference for that position...if not we already know how the movie will play out

Dayot Upamecano is a steal at 40m euros (£35.8m) (what Leipzig supposedly want due to COVID-19)

4 hours ago, Vesper said:

A coupe weeks ago, maybe 3 or 4 even, not exactly sure, I started to really feeling like there is a 50/50 possibility that we make zero moves, or maybe one max

look at what is happening now

I already knew Giroud had been renewed, so thsi is no surprise

but now we also renewed a soon to be 39 yo Willy at keeper

Emerson is now talking about staying

I see ZERO credible links for any CB, and Lamps has said he is happy with the 4 he has (we also have Ampadu coming back from loan and Marc Guehi)

I see nothing of a concrete nature that say we are even trying for Sancho (BD says no contact from us since January) nor Havertz

same for all strikers

plus we have a shit tonne of dregs coming back from loans and we are going to HARD pressed to sell trash like Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Bats, Baba, etc

I worked it all up the other day and since summer 2017, counting projected sales revenue for all the dregs (vastly reduced) and counting shit sales, refusual to sell in a timely fashion, horrific contractual management, botched sales, botched buys, and horrid buys

Marina and the board will have ended up costing us around (this is insane) a loss of potential revenue and wasted cash of £475m, (not joking at all) damn near half a billion in money we should have had to spend then and now, versus what we ended up doing

it is madness

I can easily see nothing else happening this window, maybe maybe, maybe we make a lowball offer for Chilwell (and Leicester probably tells us to go fuck ourselves)

it would be par for the course

Lets hope not mate.....this is the time to kick on and build a new empire. Marina is stupid if she thinks a Ziyesh is all thats needed.

53 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Lets hope not mate.....this is the time to kick on and build a new empire. Marina is stupid if she thinks a Ziyesh is all thats needed.

I think the club is freaked out (like all the others) about the financial impact long term of COVID-19.

UEFA should suspend FFP for 12 to 24 months to let the clubs ride this shite out (and NO, Shitty doesn't not get a RETRO pass, those cunts still had damn well better get that 2 year ban, as they broke the rules LONG before COVID came to town)

20 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I think the club is freaked out (like all the others) about the financial impact long term of COVID-19.

UEFA should suspend FFP for 12 to 24 months to let the clubs ride this shite out (and NO, Shitty doesn't not get a RETRO pass, those cunts still had damn well better get that 2 year ban, as they broke the rules LONG before COVID came to town)

Well said my friend......but the ffp thing I cant see it happening. First of all not all Clubs have the means to just spend as they wish, secondly what about PSG etc? Can you imagine the prices if FFP is slashed for a year or more? Big and wealthy Clubs will get fleeced to high heaven. Your damn right in any case regarding City, they must be punished hard one way or the other the cunts.

13 hours ago, Mana said:

I say it’s mixed news. It’s not like Giroud is a fantastic striker. It’s not like he’s a legend in our club either. He’s also old and slow. Decent backup sure, but unless we sign another striker, we are going to struggle yet again with goals.

The disrespect that people have on Giroud is amazing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2020 at 6:42 PM, MoroccanBlue said:

So another season with Tammy+Giroud as our options. 

Not sure how I feel about that. 

I think the Giroud and Caballero deals were about a bit of added security at both ends, we don't lose players for the run in aswell as added insurance just incase Covid fucks up our transfer window and they get a years guarenteed income secured in uncertain times.

I don't think either being here in 20/21 is nailed on, especially in Willy's case.

On 6/3/2020 at 7:36 AM, Tomo said:

I think the Giroud and Caballero deals were about a bit of added security at both ends, we don't lose players for the run in aswell as added insurance just incase Covid fucks up our transfer window and they get a years guarenteed income secured in uncertain times.

I don't think either being here in 20/21 is nailed on, especially in Willy's case.

You are right. I think Olie can still leave. And it is likely probably. If we sign Havertz 100%. Abraham, Werner and Havertz can play CF so he would be in horrible situation. Even worse than this season when he was 3rd striker after Michy.

With EURO2021 coming he would also want to leave. 6m salary and we can get 4m fee for almost 34yo so 10m saved would be good thing for the club. 

Inter and Lazio still going for Giroud

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

You are right. I think Olie can still leave. And it is likely probably. If we sign Havertz 100%. Abraham, Werner and Havertz can play CF so he would be in horrible situation. Even worse than this season when he was 3rd striker after Michy.

With EURO2021 coming he would also want to leave. 6m salary and we can get 4m fee for almost 34yo so 10m saved would be good thing for the club. 

Inter and Lazio still going for Giroud

either place would be great for Giroud

• 2 weeks later...

I always liked Giroud. 

Even when he was at Arsenal I often said I would take him as I always saw him as a super sub. 

He always scored late goals for Arsenal and headers as well. 

It's a pity that we got him late in age, but Giroud over the years has been a model professional and a great player to have at the club. 

Interview

Olivier Giroud: 'My body is ready to play a few more years at the best level'

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/19/chelsea-olivier-giroud-my-body-is-ready-to-play-a-few-more-years-at-the-best-level

Chelsea striker, who almost left in January, has a new one-year extension and is determined to pay back Frank Lampard’s faith

a6d1e01480f0400ccccdd0f07d1b2d1b.jpg

Olivier Giroud is a man making up for lost time. Six months ago the Chelsea striker was out in the cold and fretting about losing his place in the France squad before Euro 2020. Opportunities to impress Frank Lampard with his unselfish hold-up play had dried up and Giroud, a target for Bordeaux, Internazionale, Lazio and Tottenham, was desperate for a move.

When the January transfer window closed with Giroud still at Chelsea, Lampard promised him a fresh start. Tammy Abraham was struggling with an ankle injury and Michy Batshuayi had disappointed. Giroud, who had made two league starts all season, was back. Scoring on his return to the side against Tottenham in February was a good start, and he was in his element by the time he pitched in with another goal when Chelsea thumped Everton at Stamford Bridge on 8 March, only for coronavirus to bring English football to a halt five days later.

There was more uncertainty for a 33-year-old whose deal was due to expire on 30 June. France should have been playing their second game at the Euro on Saturday but the tournament has been delayed by a year and the world champions may have moved on from Giroud by then – not that he sees it that way after agreeing a one-year contract with Chelsea this month. “Panic is not for me,” he says. “Time is not playing on my side, I’m almost 34, but my body is ready to play a few more years at the best level. We are World Cup champions and we want to do like our brothers from France 98 and win the European championship.”

Giroud has 39 goals from 97 games; there are milestones to hit. He is targeting a century of caps and is third in the list of France goalscorers, two behind Michel Platini, 12 behind Thierry Henry. “It’s going to be difficult to reach Thierry Henry’s 51,” he says. “But you never know.”

The former Arsenal forward is used to being written off. Giroud has his critics when he plays for France but he performed the role of non-scoring striker to perfection at the 2018 World Cup, working hard and making space for Antoine Griezmann and Kylian Mbappé. He is a team player and Lampard has seen the worth of Giroud, who can count himself unlucky if he does not start when Chelsea return at Aston Villa on Sunday.

“All through my career I have always been through difficulties,” he says. “The best thing to do is to bounce back. I was close to leaving the club but I didn’t really want to. I needed game-time for the Euros and it’s true I spoke with the gaffer regarding maybe letting me go for another challenge. He said ‘yes’. He understood my situation. He was a player and we always had a great understanding regarding my future.

“When he told me that I was going to have more chances to show, I just trusted him, and I really want to fight for it, like I have done before at Arsenal. My motivation was very high. He gave me the opportunity and I just tried to pay him back. It feels like a new start. I want to win more trophies with Chelsea.”

Lockdown has presented challenges for players. Giroud has seen Chelsea move closer to landing the RB Leipzig forward Timo Werner – “he is going to be a very good signing and more motivation for strikers” is his verdict – and knows this might not have been an ideal time to be a free agent.

“I read in the newspaper that coronavirus influenced my decision. You cannot forget the situation, but when the club wanted to give me another year because I have shown a strong character, I felt that my journey at Chelsea was not over. I would have felt very sad if I had left the club in January.”

Chelsea are rebuilding. Werner is on his way, Hakim Ziyech is due to arrive from Ajax and Bayer Leverkusen’s Kai Havertz is another target. But Giroud believes he has much to offer. He bristles when asked whether it will be good for him that teams can use five substitutes, even though he has the second-best scoring record off the bench in Premier League history. “Why, personally?” he says, laughing a little defensively. “I’ve been the super sub but I want to make the gaffer’s choices even more difficult.”

3206.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=56a1823e842bd42e95c1402430c397cf

Giroud is raring to go, though he admits Chelsea’s players had some fretful discussions about the merits of Project Restart during the pandemic’s peak. “We were not very comfortable to come back because we were in the worst period of the virus. We had a few video calls together and I can say one month and a half ago we didn’t feel very comfortable to come back. But because the Premier League and the PFA gave us all details of the security we will get, the training protocols and what is being done to keep everybody safe, we felt we could come back.”

N’Golo Kanté, Giroud’s France and Chelsea teammate, was reluctant to return at first. “I believe like all the players he had at-risk people in his entourage so that’s why he didn’t feel very comfortable,” Giroud says. “But I respect that. We are very glad to have him back and I think he will definitely be here for the first game. He is looking good.”

The discussion turns to the Black Lives Matter protests and why it is important for white players to speak out against racism. Giroud is asked whether he could take a knee if he scores against Villa. “It’s something I could do. Any kind of support we can do will always make a difference. It’s not enough to say I’m against racism, now you have to fight against it.”

Giroud looks and sounds comfortable. He has been watching the Bundesliga and was surprised by the intensity of the tackling when Bayern Munich beat Borussia Dortmund, though he knows it will be strange to play without supporters.

Games behind closed doors are a must, though, and Chelsea have a job to finish. They are fourth and visit Leicester for an FA Cup quarter-final next Sunday. Giroud trusts they are capable of picking up where they left off.

But has the picture changed? Chelsea were almost granted a free hit at the start of the season. They were under a transfer embargo last summer, had an inexperienced manager who turned to the kids and made no signings in January. Now there is pressure; Champions League qualification is theirs to lose. How will they handle it? “We have a very competitive team, with a good alchemy between the youngsters and experienced players,” Giroud says. “We expect new signings because it’s been two transfer windows but I have a lot of expectation about this squad.”

Time has passed and Abraham is fit again. Giroud has more to prove. “Three and half months later and it is totally different,” he says. “I kept my fitness, running in the park. I will give my best to be back in the team. I’m excited.”

• 3 weeks later...