Olivier Giroud

milka

Most injuries will come at the business end of the season after the accumulation of fixtures. That is when we will need him. I think it would be foolish to let him go just now. He knew what he was doing when signed a other extension. I am confident he will get his minutes in the busy festive schedule and surely next year. 

Well come January we'll know a lot more then as its the next 2 months which will be the busiest.

He's earned his move away if he wants to play for the euros. We'll know come January how needed he is. Injuries before he'll get minutes and stay. If there's no injuries when we hit mid January then he can go. And if injuries come after we have 3 players who can play striker well and can recall our loan army if we needed to.

9 minutes ago, Hutcho said:

Well come January we'll know a lot more then as its the next 2 months which will be the busiest.

He's earned his move away if he wants to play for the euros. We'll know come January how needed he is. Injuries before he'll get minutes and stay. If there's no injuries when we hit mid January then he can go. And if injuries come after we have 3 players who can play striker well and can recall our loan army if we needed to.

He does deserve to have his wish but my loyalty is always to the club. If we need him I could not care less if he goes to the euros or not. Deachamps is so in love with him he will nominate him anyway I guess. And I think one reason for his old body still being strong enough is that he always turns up for int football well rested. 
If by January we look only remotely like challenging for a title we should no way let him go. An experienced back up like Olie is exactly what can make the difference between a title and no title

Giroud set to push for Chelsea exit in January over fears for France place

https://theathletic.com/2202606/2020/11/17/giroud-chelsea-january-transfer-france/

OLIVIER-GIROUD-e1605626079194-1024x683.jpg

Chelsea are facing a battle to keep Olivier Giroud in January and The Athletic understands the 34-year-old will definitely look to leave unless he plays significantly more for the west London club over the next few months.

The club successfully kept the France striker from leaving at the start of the year and in the summer, but it is going to take something quite dramatic to make it third time lucky.

The situation has become so stark because Giroud’s place in the France team is at risk for next summer’s European Championships. That is also the reason he considered departing earlier in 2020 before the tournament was postponed for a year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

France coach Didier Deschamps made the situation clear during a press conference before their UEFA Nations League game against Sweden on Tuesday night. “Olivier knows it — the situation he’s in today cannot drag on forever. Before March (when France begin their World Cup qualifying campaign) he will have to find another situation than this one,” he said.

That last sentence could just be referring solely to getting more appearances at Stamford Bridge before March, but it is believed Deschamps has also privately suggested to Giroud that he should consider moving elsewhere.

Deschamps’ concern is understandable. Giroud has been his first-choice centre forward in recent years, including the successful 2018 bid to win the World Cup, but he is barely getting on the pitch at Chelsea.

Giroud was in the same scenario 12 months ago, yet he has actually registered less playing time before the November international break this season compared to the same date (November 7) last year. In 2019-20, he had played 211 minutes (over six games) for 2019-20, but he has only been given 154 minutes (also over six games) this season. There is the caveat that this season began in September, with four extra games played by November 7 in 2019-20, but the numbers make grim reading regardless, especially when you consider his only start was in the Carabao Cup defeat by Tottenham.

In contrast, Giroud has played 340 minutes for France since the start of September but there has been a sign of Deschamps’ selection policy being affected by the Chelsea player’s lack of match sharpness. He was a substitute in two of France’s last three games, with Deschamps starting Anthony Martial in the wins over Croatia in October and Portugal on Saturday.

It is hard to see how things will turnaround at Chelsea in the manner they did at the beginning of the year. Giroud was close to joining Inter Milan but ended up staying for the second half of the season, mainly because Chelsea were not able to make the signings that they hoped could freshen up the attack.

Positive talks were also held with coach Frank Lampard at the end of January, which helped to forge the close bond that is still enjoyed between them today. Giroud was in the starting XI for 10 of the final 12 Premier League games last season, scoring eight times. His impact was a major factor in Chelsea securing a top-four finish.

But the former Arsenal striker only had the (relatively) inexperienced Tammy Abraham and much-maligned Michy Batshuayi to compete with, whereas things are a lot tougher now.

The £47 million acquisition of Germany international striker Timo Werner is a major factor. He has been in the starting XI for all eight Premier League games this season. The only Chelsea fixture in which he has not got on the pitch at all was the victory over Barnsley in the Carabao Cup.

Abraham has reestablished himself under Lampard, which can be seen by the 12 games he has played, albeit half as a substitute. And notably, the Chelsea coach opted for another new buy, attacking midfielder Kai Havertz, to lead the line against Liverpool rather than Giroud.

Lampard’s thought process is comprehensible — players bought for a lot of money are always going to play. As talented as Giroud still is, at 34 and with less than a year left on his contract, he is not going to be part of the club’s long-term plans. Abraham and Werner also offer a lot more pace.

Giroud has been very happy being part of the squad and felt at home at Chelsea. He is much admired in the camp for his professionalism. There has been no trouble behind the scenes throughout.

Lampard said as much when asked about how Giroud has reacted to his predicament earlier this month. The Chelsea coach said: “He has given a typically great response to train as well as possible and support the group. He is amazing around the group and that is just a fact with Oli and maybe not a fact with people all around the team. I can’t speak highly enough of him on that side.

“It is part of my job I don’t like. Good players, top people who are around the group, that don’t always play. But I have those issues. Tammy Abraham started at least half of the games last season and he was one of the top scorers in the Premier League. When Oli came in, he performed very well in the restart for us, which was a huge factor in us getting into the top four. I have difficult questions to answer and selections in the team. I have great professionals and Oli is absolutely showing that.”

But praise, respect and enjoying your surroundings can only go so far. Giroud hasn’t got many years left of his career for club and country and won’t want to watch others from the sidelines every week.

Deschamps is clearly increasing the pressure on his shoulders too, as he went on to say: “I never give advice, I give an opinion. At the end of the day, it’s the player’s decision. He has had situations that have sometimes been complicated to deal with.

“Today, it is not good for him. Will it stay the same or will it improve? It’s up to him. He knows what I think, even if I don’t forget everything he has done and everything he would still be able to do.

“Olivier has been affected, first of all with the situation he has at his club, knowing that he has a large frame and that he needs rhythm. It’s hard. That’s not why I want to lose him, it’s complicated, we’ll talk, but obviously he has every interest in it not lasting, for him, to remain competitive, but we must not forget what he did with us and what he is still able to do.

“Anthony has a different profile but one that gives options. Anthony, today, is more fulfilled and in better physical and psychological conditions, obviously.”

So what will happen next? Chelsea will take a lot of persuading to let him go unless they find a replacement. Lampard certainly won’t want to see his options cut amid an intense fixture list and increased possibility of injuries. And persuading someone else of the suitable quality to join the squad won’t be an easy task either with Werner and Abraham in situ.

Inter Milan will likely make another attempt to buy Giroud. The Serie A side still require a back-up for Romelu Lukaku, although it remains to be seen whether the forward would be happy with that scenario.

There is a possibility he could seek another Premier League club and that was certainly mooted before, with Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham United, Newcastle United and Aston Villa all considering making an offer at various times over the last 10 months. After adding Gareth Bale and Carlos Vinicius to their ranks, one can assume Spurs is no longer an option, though.

The situation will have to be resolved one way or another and as things stand, the likelihood is that Giroud won’t see the season out at Chelsea.

In these current conditions, we'd be mad to sell. 

Sorry Olivier, club needs you until the end of the season. Virtually no way he will lose his place at the Euro's, despite the bollocks Dechamps says. 

He needs game time though. It's unfair for him to rot on the bench even though he is one of the big reasons why we got European football this season.

9 minutes ago, Azul said:

He needs game time though. It's unfair for him to rot on the bench even though he is one of the big reasons why we got European football this season.

But is this Giroud FC or Chelsea FC?

Our spending this summer is highly dependent on the club finishing Top 4. Werner gets injured and/or Tammy gets COVID, we are fucked. This is an incredibly congested season and Giroud will get plenty of time considering rotation and injuries. 

Plus, Dechamps continues to say Giroud needs playing time, yet he continues to select and start him every game? Virtually nothing suggests he won't pick Giroud for the Euros as things stand. 

But is this Giroud FC or Chelsea FC? Our spending this summer is highly dependent on the club finishing Top 4. Werner gets injured and/or Tammy gets COVID, we are fucked. This is an incredibly congested season and Giroud will get plenty of time considering rotation and injuries.  Plus, Dechamps continues to say Giroud needs playing time, yet he continues to select and start him every game? Virtually nothing suggests he won't pick Giroud for the Euros as things stand.    

How did Tammy get ahead of Giroud in the pecking order before the season even started? We both know Giroud had clutch performances which made it possible for us to get top four, which then enabled us to get all these players.   

Some people are unthankful to be honest, and very quick to forget. You either give him enough game time to prove himself or sell him and buy someone else with the intention of making them a bottom tier squad player. 

Nothing against Tammy by the way, he's performing and doing his thing. However he's been given enough game time to prove himself, for all we know it could have been Giroud shining right now.

16 minutes ago, Azul said:

How did Tammy get ahead of Giroud in the pecking order before the season even started? We both know Giroud had clutch performances which made it possible for us to get top four, which then enabled us to get all these players.   

Some people are unthankful to be honest, and very quick to forget. You either give him enough game time to prove himself or sell him and buy someone else with the intention of making them a bottom tier squad player. 

Nothing against Tammy by the way, he's performing and doing his thing. However he's been given enough game time to prove himself, for all we know it could have been Giroud shining right now.

Simply put, Lampard's system works better with a mobile and fast ST. I see no issues with Tammy at the moment so the outcry for Giroud to start is just bizarre. Having two strikers who offer something different is a great asset to have and until Tammy starts showing a bit of poor form, something that is completely expected, then it would be beneficial to use Giroud. 

Your second sentence is just confusing. We should give in and  jeapordise our season by selling Giroud in January as a thank you memento for him?

Simply put, Lampard's system works better with a mobile and fast ST. I see no issues with Tammy at the moment so the outcry for Giroud to start is just bizarre. Having two strikers who offer something different is a great asset to have and until Tammy starts showing a bit of poor form, something that is completely expected, then it would be beneficial to use Giroud. 
Your second sentence is just confusing. We should give in and  jeapordise our season by selling Giroud in January as a thank you memento for him?
You literally haven't answered all of my questions, but you continue to ask me questions and expect me to answer all of them?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn KB2003 met Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Azul said:

You literally haven't answered all of my questions, but you continue to ask me questions and expect me to answer all of them?

29 minutes ago, Azul said:

How did Tammy get ahead of Giroud in the pecking order before the season even started?

7 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Simply put, Lampard's system works better with a mobile and fast ST.

If that's your answer, then "simply put" you're deluded. Giroud played much better than Tammy towards the end of the season.

So if Giroud played much better than him then why did he leapfrog him to start this season? And your answer was because he's more suited to the Lampards "style", even though Giroud was outperforming him a couple of months ago?

One thing that I've seen that Tammy lacks this season is hold up play, whenever he has the ball and the defenders tackle him he constantly falls over like a fly. Giroud's hold up play is world class, he literally bullied VVD that's how strong he is. Furthermore he also excels in link-up play, and if you're being honest with yourself you know that Giroud is far superior in these two attributes.

The only time pace is preferable as a striker is when you're facing teams that have a high line but when we're facing teams that park the bus you need hold up play and link up play.

My reason for selling Giroud is not only because it's out of respect but because you don't want to keep an unhappy player. Someone that earned his place and put in amazing performances is randomly benched, so to be honest I can fully understand why he could be upset. So do you expect him to fight for the club and badge when he's being treated unfairly? Or would you rather sell him and buy someone who knows his role is a second backup striker?

46 minutes ago, Azul said:

If that's your answer, then "simply put" you're deluded. Giroud played much better than Tammy towards the end of the season.

So if Giroud played much better than him then why did he leapfrog him to start this season? And your answer was because he's more suited to the Lampards "style", even though Giroud was outperforming him a couple of months ago?

One thing that I've seen that Tammy lacks this season is hold up play, whenever he has the ball and the defenders tackle him he constantly falls over like a fly. Giroud's hold up play is world class, he literally bullied VVD that's how strong he is. Furthermore he also excels in link-up play, and if you're being honest with yourself you know that Giroud is far superior in these two attributes.

The only time pace is preferable as a striker is when you're facing teams that have a high line but when we're facing teams that park the bus you need hold up play and link up play.

This is a new season. Tammy tends to perform well in the early phase of the season, as we are seeing now and as we saw last year. There are clear differences between Tammy and Giroud, and when you see the football we play at our very best, it's understandable as to why Lampard wants a more mobile forward to make runs and press the opposition back line vs a target man. FFS that's even why we bought Werner. 

You are flat out lying about the hold up play bit. If there's anything Tammy has improved massively on, it's his hold up and link up play. Look at Burnley and Sheffield as examples. Both are two shitehouses and we didn't need Giroud and his world class hold up play. 

46 minutes ago, Azul said:

My reason for selling Giroud is not only because it's out of respect but because you don't want to keep an unhappy player. Someone that earned his place and put in amazing performances is randomly benched, so to be honest I can fully understand why he could be upset. So do you expect him to fight for the club and badge when he's being treated unfairly? Or would you rather sell him and buy someone who knows his role is a second backup striker?

You want to sell him out of respect even if it means our season being potentially jeopardized? Are you for real? :blink:

I would expect Giroud to honor his contract and to be a professional during these circumstances. Something he's been doing this entire time. He'll get plenty of game time this season, especially with injuries and the fact Tammy slows down towards the latter stages of the season. 

It seems only you and the mad man Deschamps are bothered by the fact Giroud isn't starting for us. 

It's pretty simple.
One is 23 one is 34. One plays similarly to the way we want to play the other offers a completely different option.

Whilst I'm sure everyone knows right this second giroud is arguably the better striker if you analyse them individually as a team tammy is done well and if its close you're gonna lean towards the kid who could be a part of the team for many years to come over the 34 year old he may go soon.

Giroud offers something completely different which will have its uses at times for sure.

You want to sell him out of respect even if it means our season being potentially jeopardized? Are you for real? :blink:
I would expect Giroud to honor his contract and to be a professional during these circumstances. Something he's been doing this entire time. He'll get plenty of game time this season, especially with injuries and the fact Tammy slows down towards the latter stages of the season. 
 It seems only you and the mad man Deschamps are bothered by the fact Giroud isn't starting for us. 

It's very easy to talk when you're sitting at home and doing nothing. When you put yourself in Giroud's shoes you'll understand why he would want to leave the club. He wants to represent his country for one last time in the Euro's and if Lampard is jeopardizing that, then I fully understand his decision to leave if it comes down to that. If you have morals then you know some things are bigger than your love for Chelsea.

If he wants to stay then I'll be happy ofcourse. We could use a different option on the bench, but don't try to justify his place on the bench when it's unfair.

So you're seriously telling me Tammy's hold up play is good all of sudden? Hahah mate, put some glasses on and critically watch the game instead of being biased. He literally get's bullied against every centre-back. It might improve in the future since he's a young player with potential but his hold up play nowadays is almost non-existent.

What are you basing that Giroud will get "plenty of game time" on? He barely got any minutes this season. Everything you're saying is subjective mate.

I knew you'd say that I was bothered by the fact that Giroud isn't starting, even though I made sure to say that I got no problem with Tammy starting since he's playing good. That was very predictable, hence why I clarified that I'm happy with Tammy at the moment. All I'm saying is to respect Giroud's decision to leave if it comes down to that, because I understand where he's coming from for sure. Put yourself in other people's shoes instead of saying stupid shit like "sorry Giroud you need to stay blablabla".

It's pretty simple.

One is 23 one is 34. One plays similarly to the way we want to play the other offers a completely different option.

Whilst I'm sure everyone knows right this second giroud is arguably the better striker if you analyse them individually as a team tammy is done well and if its close you're gonna lean towards the kid who could be a part of the team for many years to come over the 34 year old he may go soon.

Giroud offers something completely different which will have its uses at times for sure.

Completely agree but these are people's lives we are talking about here, if Giroud was to leave in January his decision should be respected in my opinion. Sometimes fans tend to forget footballers are humans as well.

Completely agree but these are people's lives we are talking about here, if Giroud was to leave in January his decision should be respected in my opinion. Sometimes fans tend to forget footballers are humans as well. 

Oh I fully agree with that. Unless he's needed he should be allowed to leave if he doesn't wanna be here. I'd rather have 1 less player than have a player that doesn't want to be here.

Now if January comes round and puli and timo are both injured then that changes things and I imagine giroud would want to stay.