Emerson Palmieri

Unionjack

14 minutes ago, Beigl said:

Emerson seems to be a better finisher than all our attackers. 😂

I hope he plays in the FA Cup because he really deserves it. I mean, Chilwell and Alonso do not offer us much anyway and Emerson is much faster than both of them and a much better crosser. He never was a bad 1 vs 1 defender, he just lacked awareness, which in a back 3 does not cost you much because there are other players that can save you. Alonso lacks awareness too, but it rarely costs us any points

38 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

I hope he plays in the FA Cup because he really deserves it. I mean, Chilwell and Alonso do not offer us much anyway and Emerson is much faster than both of them and a much better crosser. He never was a bad 1 vs 1 defender, he just lacked awareness, which in a back 3 does not cost you much because there are other players that can save you. Alonso lacks awareness too, but it rarely costs us any points

Good point. Emerson is probably a worse pure lb than both Alonso and Chilwell tactically. But there is a reason Sarri used him as a winger. He is technically as proficient as the turtle but as you said way pacier and a better crosser. Just remember his brilliant cross for our first goal in our last EL final.  Lwb might very well be his best position. 
don’t know about his offensive output given he has almost never scored for us or Roma. 

Thing is, he would come in handy at LF in certain situations. Last night showed that if we are playing on the counter (2nd half), its best to have traditional wingers vs inverted ones. Look at the chance CHO blew away because he had to cut inside to his right. When Emerson was clean through, he immediately finished. 

Doubt he would want that role though. 

Edited by MoroccanBlue

13 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Thing is, he would come in handy at LF in certain situations. Last night showed that if we are playing on the counter (2nd half), its best to have traditional wingers vs inverted ones. Look at the chance CHO blew away because he had to cut inside to his right. When Emerson was clean through, he immediately finished. 

Doubt he would want that role though. 

Like what situations exactly? His goal came about in the ideal situation - on the break and against a desperate, beaten 10-man side. Can he have the same impact in a full, proper/normal game? Clearly Tuchel just wanted to waste some time by bringing him and Chilwell (and maybe even troll Atletico a little). 

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

Like what situations exactly? His goal came about in the ideal situation - on the break and against a desperate, beaten 10-man side. Can he have the same impact in a full, proper/normal game? Clearly Tuchel just wanted to waste some time by bringing him and Chilwell (and maybe even troll Atletico a little). 

I think when setting up mainly to counter, our wingers should be playing on the side of their stronger foot. We catch teams on the break, the wingers can get their shot away faster vs having to cut in before doing so. 

8 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

I think when setting up mainly to counter, our wingers should be playing on the side of their stronger foot. We catch teams on the break, the wingers can get their shot away faster vs having to cut in before doing so. 

The thing is, I'm not sure if Tuchel will ever set up to specifically play on the counter. He'll always want to dominate games and if we can create counter attacking situations, then great. Otherwise, he'll always try to be on the front foot as much as possible.

Moreover, say Emerson had started on the LW yesterday instead of Havertz, would the first counter attack goal have happened? The overall team performance would also have been different because Emerson doesn't do what Havertz does overall. The second goal was just the perfect counter attack situation that rarely happens and even though he scored yesterday, let's not now act as if Emerson has great decision making or is pacey (compared to Havertz, Werner, Pulisic, CHO etc) or is this suddenly unearthed gem player we have.

Just now, Jason said:

Moreover, say Emerson had started on the LW yesterday instead of Havertz, would the first counter attack have happened? The overall team performance would also have been different because Emerson doesn't do what Havertz does overall. The second goal was just the perfect counter attack situation that rarely happens and even though he scored yesterday, let's not now act as if Emerson has great decision making or is pacey (compared to Havertz, Werner, Pulisic, CHO etc) or is this suddenly unearthed gem player we have.

I'm not saying we should sacrifice our entire game plan for Emerson 😄.

I'm saying if we do find ourselves in situations where we need to protect a lead,  it would be better to have the wingers play in traditional roles vs inverted ones to pull off shots quicker when we do catch opposition off the break. The only role I can see of use for Emerson. 

4 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

I'm not saying we should sacrifice our entire game plan for Emerson 😄.

I'm saying if we do find ourselves in situations where we need to protect a lead,  it would be better to have the wingers play in traditional roles vs inverted ones to pull off shots quicker when we do catch opposition off the break. The only role I can see of use for Emerson. 

Then people will complain about other players not getting enough game time!

• 3 months later...

good one 😆

Now maybe clubs will remember Emerson exists and looks like a fullback (has been his key advantage over Alonso).

Because boy isn't he bad?! He's absolutely diabolical in defense and produces nothing in attack. It's really hard to see what he does on the pitch.

The issue of having him around is that he ends up playing at the worst possible moment, which was showcased by the Euro final.

Emerson isn't a bad player, it is more that it seems to me that he doesn't want to be here. I remember the end of the Sarri season and the star if the first SFL one. He was actually playing pretty well, then just seemed to give up once the rumours came out that he wanted to leave. 

When I say this, I am not saying he is a world beater, but he is certainly good enough to be a LB2 for us if he wanted to be.