The Mourinho Thread

Regarding Mourinho and Luiz, just find it funny that after the former said he won't play a defender in midfield, he goes and do that with Luiz. At times, it was enforced on Mourinho to do so but there were also times he made that decision despite having choices and not to mention, he also did the same with Azpi against Atletico Madrid...

Luiz was a better midfielder than the competition, imo

Regarding Mourinho and Luiz, just find it funny that after the former said he won't play a defender in midfield, he goes and do that with Luiz. At times, it was enforced on Mourinho to do so but there were also times he made that decision despite having choices and not to mention, he also did the same with Azpi against Atletico Madrid...

To be fair, I dont think Mou used Luiz in midfield because he wanted to (per se).

I think the fact he used him out of position so much shows two things. One that Cahill and JT duo were so immense that he tried to change it at least as possible and that Luiz's performances werent impressing him. Two that he simply doesnt trust any of our back up DMs and preferred a CB playing there than Mikel or whatever!

In factc, I dont recall Jose utilizing Luiz as a DM when he had the full squad at his disposal. It was more like desperate moves in order to try to win some matches than a real plan of his choice (a bit like Rafa did)...

I think he's having a dig at Benitez and wanted not to do anything what he did.

Yet he ended up eating his words.

As my mom always said, don't spit up because sooner or later it might land on your face!

To be fair, I dont think Mou used Luiz in midfield because he wanted to (per se).

I think the fact he used him out of position so much shows two things. One that Cahill and JT duo were so immense that he tried to change it at least as possible and that Luiz's performances werent impressing him. Two that he simply doesnt trust any of our back up DMs and preferred a CB playing there than Mikel or whatever!

In factc, I dont recall Jose utilizing Luiz as a DM when he had the full squad at his disposal. It was more like desperate moves in order to try to win some matches than a real plan of his choice (a bit like Rafa did)...

I do seem to remember that we had all our MFs - Matic, Ramires, Lampard and Mikel - fit and available at certain points during the second half of the season but yet, Mourinho played Luiz in the pivot as well and he's now even praising him for having the ability to play in midfield! It just kinda feels silly that he said he won't play Luiz in midfield and the next thing we know, he does just that whether intentionally or enforced.

I do seem to remember that we had all our MFs - Matic, Ramires, Lampard and Mikel - fit and available at certain points during the second half of the season but yet, Mourinho played Luiz in the pivot as well and he's now even praising him for having the ability to play in midfield! It just kinda feels silly that he said he won't play Luiz in midfield and the next thing we know, he does just that whether intentionally or enforced.

He first used him there out of necessity and was impressed, so he used him over Mikel and Lampard towards the end of the season.

and when he was at Madrid Pepe played in the midfield too. It's a tactical move instead of an enforced move.

Playing Luiz in the midfield is a bit different than playing a normal defender like Pepe. Luiz is one of the defenders in the world with decent movement.

Didn't Jose play Lucio or Zanetti as a DM during his reign @ Inter? I thought he did.

Didn't Jose play Lucio or Zanetti as a DM during his reign @ Inter? I thought he did.

Zenetti was included in the midfield many many times, I don't think Lucio was in there. He had Cambiasso and later Motta who were great in those positions. He didn't always play 3 in the midfield, a lot of times he would just gimp Pandev or Stankovic and not let them travel to high up.

Personally I've never gotten over Jose lying about his team selection prior to the Barca game in 05. What type of manager isn't honest with his team selection and tactics before a match?

This whole David Luiz thing is just another example. He should start the season by being totally upfront with the media and opposition managers about his intentions regarding team selection and tactics.

Personally I've never gotten over Jose lying about his team selection prior to the Barca game in 05. What type of manager isn't honest with his team selection and tactics before a match?

This whole David Luiz thing is just another example. He should start the season by being totally upfront with the media and opposition managers about his intentions regarding team selection and tactics.

THat was the funniest moment that I saw in a press conference. And I saw a lot with Mourinho.

About David Luiz he played a lot in the midfield because he was not good enough to play in CB, because Matic couldn't play Champions League, Mikel is really bad and Lampard can't play every game. We had in proper conditions and with quality 3 midfielders... Ramires, Luiz and Matic.

Also against big teams it's better to play with 2 defensive midfielders like Matic and Luiz when we are not strong yet. In the future we won't play with 2 players like that and the first choise will be always Matic.

Pepe played has a midfielder against Barcelona in 3 or 4 games in 3 years. The cup final in 2010, 1st leg in the semi final of Champions League 2010, in 2013 the last "el clasico" of Mourinho, and the forst leg of the cup in his last season. I don't remember any other.

Ah, MIND GAMES

I've always been a firm believer or tactical secrecy. If you have a manager who is obsessed with rotation than it won't matter as much. If you are going to field the same team every time you may as well try to send your opponents up the wrong street. The only way anyone could be mad about this is if they used his statements to base the fantasy team selection, and if that is the case LOL. The only people on the entire planet Mourinho has to be clear and honest about his tactics with are his own players.

Pepe played has a midfielder against Barcelona in 3 or 4 games in 3 years. The cup final in 2010, 1st leg in the semi final of Champions League 2010, in 2013 the last "el clasico" of Mourinho, and the forst leg of the cup in his last season. I don't remember any other.

so it's like I posted before, it's a tactic that Jose likes to use. We saw many teams use a CB as a DM this season. Man City & Man U did it. It's a freakin' tactic.