Pedro Rodríguez

Pacquiao

6 minutes ago, Amblève. said:

No chance of getting Griezmann IMO, though

If we want to start winning major honors on a consistent basis again, then we likely need to fork some big money to get quality players. And who knows, if Simeone leaves Atletico, then Griezmann might want to leave too. IIRC, he said he didn't want to leave Atletico last summer because of Simeone.

7 hours ago, Amblève. said:

No chance of getting Griezmann IMO, though. Nabil Fekir is the answer.

Griezmann has Manchester United written all over him so...

Reason Pedro has become better is because we are playing dominant football a la Barca. Pedro doesn't work in a defensive system hence why he failed under Mou and later on Hiddink.

7 hours ago, Jason said:

Would rather go for Griezmann than James. The former is a hard worker and guarantees goals, lots of them. If we are to continue with this 3-4-3 for the long term, then think Griezmann suits it better than James and he complements Hazard and Costa better than James. We need variations and players of different qualities in our front 3. Playing similar players there will not help.

That's the common consesus here but isn't Griezmann a striker these days? Similar to Aubemeyang, it was the change in position that transformed him to a top player. I know Griezmann can play there as he's done for France and I know our system is fluid and constantly mobile and hypothetically, he won't be stuck out on the wings so much, but in a 3-4-3, i'm not convinced Griezmann will be as good. Unless we make an adjustment to a 3-5-2 and have Hazard in the hole with Costa and Griezmann as a conventional striker pair. 

10 minutes ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

That's the common consesus here but isn't Griezmann a striker these days? Similar to Aubemeyang, it was the change in position that transformed him to a top player. I know Griezmann can play there as he's done for France and I know our system is fluid and constantly mobile and hypothetically, he won't be stuck out on the wings so much, but in a 3-4-3, i'm not convinced Griezmann will be as good. Unless we make an adjustment to a 3-5-2 and have Hazard in the hole with Costa and Griezmann as a conventional striker pair. 

Dybala would be perfect but i accept its very unlikely, him, Costa and Hazard interchanging would be 2nd only to MSN. Diegos movement pulls defenders all over the place, imagine Hazard and Dybala benefiting.

8 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Dybala would be perfect but i accept its very unlikely, him, Costa and Hazard interchanging would be 2nd only to MSN. Diegos movement pulls defenders all over the place, imagine Hazard and Dybala benefiting.

What about the front three that won the CL twice in the past three years?

Bale would be perfect. Griezmann 2nd, Dybala 3rd. Dybala's level dropped in the final months of 15/16 and it's dropped even further now. He's still a developing player. Griezmann is past that, he's a star. But they all play for big clubs. Players like that have never come easy for Chelsea.

But I think Salah, and I can't believe I'm saying this, would be a good alternative. He's not quite as refined as someone like Mahrez but he's more powerful and aggressive. And I think he'd be a better fit because of that. He's always a problem with his lightning speed and he knows how to score goal. 14 league goals (6 assists) last season and 8 (4 assists) in the current campaign. Does not take set-pieces if I'm not mistaken. Loved his humble character when he was here, which seemed genuine. Looked like he really wanted to make it at Chelsea.

33 minutes ago, DYC. said:

What about the front three that won the CL twice in the past three years?

Bale would be perfect. Griezmann 2nd, Dybala 3rd. Dybala's level dropped in the final months of 15/16 and it's dropped even further now. He's still a developing player. Griezmann is past that, he's a star. But they all play for big clubs. Players like that have never come easy for Chelsea.

But I think Salah, and I can't believe I'm saying this, would be a good alternative. He's not quite as refined as someone like Mahrez but he's more powerful and aggressive. And I think he'd be a better fit because of that. He's always a problem with his lightning speed and he knows how to score goal. 14 league goals (6 assists) last season and 8 (4 assists) in the current campaign. Does not take set-pieces if I'm not mistaken. Loved his humble character when he was here, which seemed genuine. Looked like he really wanted to make it at Chelsea.

My only worry if we got Bale in hypothetical land is that he hugely relies on athletic qualities, technically he isn't that great and coming up 28 next year and with a dodgy injury record....

Maybe I let personal preference get in the way, but I do think the Real front three as a whole lack the pure technical element, already aluded to it with Bale and Ronaldo is similarly athlete more than technical player, of course it doesn't matter too much when they score at that rate they do, but I have felt the lack of creativity from the pair sometimes becomes an issue vs deep defenses or a team who cut out the supply line, compare to MSN who can do it on their own if need be.

6 hours ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

Griezmann isn't exactly an out-and-out striker that you have to stick him through the middle. He's versatile enough to play anywhere across the front line and he can come short to link up in the build-up play (he plays as a second ST at Atletico from time to time) or he can play on the shoulder of the opposition's defenders.

5 hours ago, Socur Toxanarosa said:

Griezmann is not a realistic target, there are only two for me: James who is upset for not playing and Mahrez.

3 hours ago, Gilvorak said:

Mahrez is the only realistic target I can think of. The likes of Griezmann & Dybala would cost an arm & a leg.

If we want to succeed big time, then we gotta pay big money to get the big players. Haven't we been complaining about the board being too stingy and ended up buying average players who don't add anything to the squad? And until Mahrez can prove last season's achievement was no fluke and he's not a one-season wonder, I'd suggest we stay away from him.

3 hours ago, Fernando said:

Payet might want to leave from west ham . . . . . 

He's turning 30 next year. Would suggest we look elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

If we want to succeed big time, then we gotta pay big money to get the big players. Haven't we been complaining about the board being too stingy and ended up buying average players who don't add anything to the squad? And until Mahrez can prove last season's achievement was no fluke and he's not a one-season wonder, I'd suggest we stay away from him.

He's turning 30 next year. Would suggest we look elsewhere.

I have to agree with this.  When the Hazard wooing sweepstakes were on, I didn't think we'd be able to get him.  Luckily, the board thought differently.

On 11/5/2016 at 5:46 PM, MrExcalibur100 said:

The thing is some members of this wonderful forum need to give players time. There's something called assessing players based on potential and pedigree. There's also something called an eye test. Even when he wasn't playing well, the quality was there. Pedro has won the World cup and Champions leagues. And he's done that being a critical figure in some of those sides. He's 29 as well. How he all of a sudden became a shite, no-hoper in some of forum members' eyes was just way off. Same with Matic. Guy was arguably (certainly one of) the best CDM in Europe in our title winning season before he got overplayed and fatigued and so many people wanted to toss him into the garbage can. Wanted him sold. I can understand feeling that way about a constant disappointment like Oscar but we need to judge players sensibly sometimes. 

Conversly Matic's form during teh winning season may have been the outlier.

8 hours ago, Jason said:

Man, we're talking about  Atletico here, a top team. He is their best player, if he has the rumoured 100M buyout clause, we won't pay it, if he doesn't have one, Atletico won't sell regardless of the money offered. Dybala plays for Juventus, another team that doesn't sell players for regular prices.

James is a world class player arguably available, much better than the likes of Ozil and Sanchez, we can't not try. Mahrez is a really good alternative, yes, he didn't prove he can maintain his level on a bigger club, but if another team offers him a chance and he succeed, we won't have him. And neither of the both will be cheap at all, but they're possible, unlike Griezmann.

13 hours ago, Tomo said:

My only worry if we got Bale in hypothetical land is that he hugely relies on athletic qualities, technically he isn't that great and coming up 28 next year and with a dodgy injury record....

Maybe I let personal preference get in the way, but I do think the Real front three as a whole lack the pure technical element, already aluded to it with Bale and Ronaldo is similarly athlete more than technical player, of course it doesn't matter too much when they score at that rate they do, but I have felt the lack of creativity from the pair sometimes becomes an issue vs deep defenses or a team who cut out the supply line, compare to MSN who can do it on their own if need be.

I'd say Bale hugely relied on his physicality a few years back. But he's developed into a player who is clever in his movement, has a good eye for his team mates, has that nose for a goal and has become a leader (the way he led Wales at the Euros was very impressive). Not to mention his huge aerial threat nowadays. He deserves more respect for that. Even when he starts to age, I think he'll continue to be a big threat. Not an all-round attacking force but like current day Ronaldo. I think he has four to five years left in him. Only downside to him would be his injuries.

I understand your point but their firepower, whether that's from open play or set-pieces, is undeniable. Don't think any team could currently form a better trio than Barca's or Real's. Hazard and Costa still have a lot prove on the big stage.

1 minute ago, DYC. said:

I'd say Bale hugely relied on his physicality a few years back. But he's developed into a player who is clever in his movement, has a good eye for his team mates, has that nose for a goal and has become a leader (the way he led Wales at the Euros was very impressive). Not to mention his huge aerial threat nowadays. He deserves more respect for that. Even when he starts to age, I think he'll continue to be a big threat. Not an all-round attacking force but like current day Ronaldo. I think he has four to five years left in him. Only downside to him would be his injuries.

I understand your point but their firepower, whether that's from open play or set-pieces, is undeniable. Don't think any team could currently form a better trio than Barca's or Real's. Hazard and Costa still have a lot prove on the big stage.

Costa and Hazard need a world class player to complement the trio begin with. I don't think Real's trio is that good, Bale is their best right now.