Douglas Costa

bababoom

He talked about him yesterday:

"In four or five months he has been with us, he began an adaptation that is not easy. And he was champion, has won a Cup, and that will always be in his career. He has suffered, and it is normal, one thing is to play in Italy and one in England. One thing is to play Fiorentina and over at Chelsea. And it is not easy to come here in January, a team that is winning and who is playing well, and adapt to another system: Fiorentina played with five defenders, we do four, "

"People don't know Cuadrado yet. We have followed him in Italy, Udinese, When I headed to Inter. I've seen him play many times and is a guy that I have many hopes for next season. I hope that in the Copa America can feed their self-esteem, his ego, He can feel joy of playing ".

(Taken from Illmatic on Mourinho thread)

I'm aware of those quotes but, as I say, I'm taking my cue from JM's behaviour while the deal was in the offing and immediately after it was completed, not from statements made 5 months later. I'm speculating about what the manager thought at the time, not what he thinks now. As for these comments: -

They may be true.

They may be the efforts of a manager to be supportive of a bloke he likes.

They may be the efforts of a manager to be supportive of whoever it was within the club system that instigated this deal.

They may be the efforts of a manager who recognises that whoever it was that instigated the deal, wants Cuadrado persevered with.

They may be a negotiation tactic; talk up the player's quality, talk down your willingness to allow him to leave.

It may be all of those, some of those or none of those.

I don't know, I'm only guessing but it remains my guess that Jose did not ask for this player.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Fernando,

I've had this conversation with someone already. I can't remember who and I'm too lazy to check. Apologies if it was you and this post is just a repeat. However...

I do not believe that Cuadrado was a Mourinho signing. I say this because of the stark contrast in the way Jose spoke about his acknowleged signings during and immediately after the transfer process and the virtual silence from him while the Cuadrado deal was underway as well as when it was completed. There was no list of reasons why he wanted the player, no descriptions of conversations he'd had with the player trying to persuade him to join and no obvious delight in his body language when the deal was completed. There had been all of those with other arrivals. Compare even what Jose is now saying about Falcao with his silence over Cuadrado.

Who ever it was I had the earlier exchange with wouldn't have it. He insisted I was just making excuses for Jose. Not so. I'm talking about JM's behaviour before any of those players had kicked a ball for Chelsea. Indeed, in Falcao's case before he's even signed as far as we know. Until I see contradictory evidence I'm going to continue to suspect that Cuadrado was a club signing.

i disagree mate with this quote from mourinho sound like mourinho has been eye him up for a long time

“Cuadrado is not going anywhere this summer.

“People don’t know Cuadrado yet, I have seen him many times when we were both in Italy, me at Inter and him at Udinese.

“Because of that I have a lot of hopes for him for next season. I hope in the Copa America he can regain his self-esteem, his ego and that he has that joy of playing.”

http://www.squawka.com/news/mourinho-cuadrado-is-not-going-anywhere/396002#wjugqTeKf7gZlkzG.99

i disagree mate with this quote from mourinho sound like mourinho has been eye him up for a long time

No that quote just says he was aware of him. Managers of big clubs are aware of everyone and run the rule over everybody. Jose has admitted that he tried to sign old slippy three times. (Good decision in my opinion.) I'd be surprised to learn that he tried to sign Cuadrado even once.

correct me if im wrong was drogba not a flop on his first season at chelsea??? now drogba a chelsea legend :blue scalf:

That doesn't mean Cuadrado will be a legend as well.....

Hello Fernando,

I've had this conversation with someone already. I can't remember who and I'm too lazy to check. Apologies if it was you and this post is just a repeat. However...

I do not believe that Cuadrado was a Mourinho signing. I say this because of the stark contrast in the way Jose spoke about his acknowleged signings during and immediately after the transfer process and the virtual silence from him while the Cuadrado deal was underway as well as when it was completed. There was no list of reasons why he wanted the player, no descriptions of conversations he'd had with the player trying to persuade him to join and no obvious delight in his body language when the deal was completed. There had been all of those with other arrivals. Compare even what Jose is now saying about Falcao with his silence over Cuadrado.

Who ever it was I had the earlier exchange with wouldn't have it. He insisted I was just making excuses for Jose. Not so. I'm talking about JM's behaviour before any of those players had kicked a ball for Chelsea. Indeed, in Falcao's case before he's even signed as far as we know. Until I see contradictory evidence I'm going to continue to suspect that Cuadrado was a club signing.

And I still don't buy your theory.

\

Sounds like recycled news. And hopefully it is.

On the other hand we're linked with Griezmann, Koke, Pogba, Varane etc. and then few days later we read about Douglas Costa, Enner Valencia, Moussa Sissoko and Toby Alderweireld. wtf. In one day we want to go for the Champions League and on the other fight for top 4.

He would be a brilliant squad player, with his pace coming off the bench against tired defences and he has brilliant technique so will be able to take players on and retain possession against parked buses. very shrewd signing.

Sounds like recycled news. And hopefully it is.

On the other hand we're linked with Griezmann, Koke, Pogba, Varane etc. and then few days later we read about Douglas Costa, Enner Valencia, Moussa Sissoko and Toby Alderweireld. wtf. In one day we want to go for the Champions League and on the other fight for top 4.

you just compared players who would be bought as first team players to payers who would be bought as squad players...

Luckily the only one linking us with him is himself, advertising himself like a cheap whore. That would make him a great fit at Bayern. Would love them to sign him as a replacement for Ribery so we all could welcome them back to mediocrity where they belong.

So we are buying a player who is substitution for Willian ... meh ..

What we really need is world class winger. We have too much squad and promising players in this position (Salah, Moses, Traore, ... )

Admittedly Ive not watched this lad much in games but since hes been 'linked' with us Ive watched all his youtubes and Ive not really seen anything thats convinced me hes Chelsea standard. I know we need depth but if a player we are going to buy isnt either an upgrade for ones we have OR they offer a game changing alternative to the mirrored copies we already have sitting on the bench then I really dont see any point in bothering with them.

In Willian/Cuadrado we already have 2 players that on their best are very similar, they offer nothing to each other if substituted apart from being the same. And to bring in Costa I dont see it as bringing anything advantageous to us. I dont mind Willian hes ok but I do think we should upgrade him and it should be a priority to do so.

I dont know who brought Cuadrado or why unless it was a last minute knee jerk reaction. And IF it was Jose I doubt he would ever put his hands up and admit to being an error until he writes his memoirs.

He's better than Willian in attack.

In the 10 mins he spent on the pitch he was positve, missed a great chance and later scored the winner.

Its really crazy Brazil are starting an important tournament with Willian and Fred.

Anyway Chelsea don't need Costa if Cuadrado is staying.

In the 10 mins he spent on the pitch he was positve, missed a great chance and later scored the winner.

Its really crazy Brazil are starting an important tournament with Willian and Fred.

Don't hate on Willian.

Douglas Costa is certainly better at getting into good attacking positions than Willian (give me the name of an AM who isn't), but he's much less intelligent than Willian in his use of possession. He's one of those players that, although very talented and capable of being dangerous in attack, nonetheless has a tendency to turn the ball over quite often due to poor decision-making; he dribbles when he should pass, he passes when he could shoot, he shoots when he should pass etc. This is the reason that he has developed a reputation for inconsistency.

In contrast, Willian's passing and decision-making were exemplary against Peru, with a number of dangerous crosses from the right supplementing some excellent vertical passes, well-timed switches of play, and effective 1-2 combinations with various teammates; he was one of Brazil's best players (behind Neymar) alongside Alves and Costa.

The biggest issue for Brazil at the Copa is going to be their enormously unconvincing double-pivot; Fernandinho and Elias were really poor against Peru, affording the defence little in the way of protection in open-play, giving away free-kicks in dangerous areas, and failing to move the ball forwards quickly enough when in possession. The problems arising from the DMs were compounded by Dunga's selection of Fred (over Douglas Costa, with Coutinho injured) and Tardelli (over Firmino) because it meant that only Alves and Willian were initiating/developing the attacks for Brazil, and only Neymar was effective at getting into dangerous positions and finishing these attacks.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You