Petr Cech

eldo

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I don't think we'll see Cech in the matchday squad if the other 3 keepers are available. Putting Cech now as the #2 on the bench ahead of Kepa and Caballero would just create unnecessary drama.

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

It would and I think we will see it. 

Cech won't be put on the bench right now but If Mendy has another lay off and Frank deems him ready I honestly won't be surprised to see him in then (then on the bench from Mendy's return on).

Like I said the other day Kepa has had far too many chances to avoid this situation so no sympathy with him while I would have a little bit more sympathy for Willy he is basically our present day Hilario, ala third choice standard.

‘We felt it was a no-brainer’: Why Chelsea added Cech to Premier League squad

https://theathletic.com/2154081/2020/10/23/petr-cech-lampard-chelsea-goalkeeper/

cech-scaled-e1603396013506-1024x685.jpg

The signs were there a year ago, when Petr Cech made his competitive ice hockey debut for Guildford Phoenix, that retirement had left Chelsea’s greatest-ever goalkeeper feeling less than totally fulfilled.

“For me the hardest part of my new job (as Chelsea’s technical and performance adviser) are the match days,” he admitted in a press conference after taking to the ice. “I’ve been involved directly in every game for 20 years and then suddenly you work the whole week and at the weekend you just sit and hope that the team performs well. The match days are something I was missing and so for me this is absolutely fantastic.”

Chelsea are insistent that the chances of Cech experiencing a Premier League match day on the pitch again are remote, despite his shock inclusion as a non-contract player in the club’s official squad list for the competition earlier this week. But the very fact that he has been registered means the scenario cannot be ruled out entirely. “I don’t expect it, but nobody expected what we have seen in the last six or seven months around the world,” Lampard said after Tuesday’s 0-0 draw with Sevilla in the Champions League.

Edouard Mendy was in goal at Stamford Bridge that night, recording his second clean sheet in three Chelsea appearances. The Senegal international has made a quietly impressive start since arriving from Rennes in a deal worth around £22 million at the explicit recommendation of Cech and Christophe Lollichon, who now occupies a prominent role in the club’s goalkeeper recruitment. But the wheels for Cech’s own involvement in first-team training at Cobham were in motion before that deal was finalised.

Cech first broached the subject with Lampard early in September. He has been a regular observer of Lampard’s sessions at Cobham ever since his appointment as technical and performance director, but both men quickly agreed that he could add value by actively participating with the goalkeepers — particularly club-record signing Kepa Arrizabalaga, whose crisis of confidence showed no sign of abating. It wasn’t long before pictures circulated online of the 38-year-old decked out in his trademark headguard, gloves and full training gear.

“He is fit, very fit, and he is still relatively young,” Lampard said of Cech, who is eight months younger than Willy Caballero. “He finished playing when he possibly could have carried on. He has taken on his role at Chelsea very well and he has been very helpful to me and we work closely together.

“It is something that is really positive for the goalkeepers and Petr enjoys doing it. So why not give back and give that experience to the goalkeepers?”

Once he got involved, it quickly became clear to players and staff at Cobham that Cech — no doubt helped by his regular training with Guildford Phoenix — had not lost his reflexes and agility. During the September and October international breaks, with Kepa and later Mendy representing Spain and Senegal respectively, Lampard did not hesitate to incorporate his former team-mate into team training and bolster the first-team numbers.

As the weeks went by and Cech continued to impress, the conversation shifted to whether he could act as an insurance policy as well as a mentor for the other goalkeepers. Lampard, mindful of the greater potential for squad disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, saw no downside to including him as a fourth goalkeeper in the Premier League squad list. Moreover, Chelsea’s sizeable contingent of first-team players under the age of 21 meant they had more than enough free slots to do it.

“We felt it was a no-brainer to have Petr in the squad for that reason and it helps me training every day,” Lampard said this week. “When he is in such good form it can only help the goalkeepers we have to see one of the world’s best in the modern era amongst us.”

The players weren’t officially informed prior to Cech’s presence on the submitted squad list, but several of them had an inkling that it was a possibility. “The other day I saw him training and asked him why he was training, if it was because he liked it or if he had the chance to be with us,” Thiago Silva told Esporte Interativo after the Sevilla draw. “He said he was really training so if he was needed, any opportunity, he could play.

“I think he’s ready. From the training I saw, he’s well prepared. If he has an opportunity, an incident with the goalkeepers, he’s prepared and I’m sure Frank also trusts him.”

It’s easy to see why Chelsea and Lampard are so keen to stress that Cech is regarded purely as an emergency option. Sources have told The Athletic that he has a good relationship with all three senior goalkeepers, not least because he is capable of communicating with Mendy in French and Kepa and Willy Caballero in Spanish. His elite pedigree and intelligence make him uniquely equipped to give them technical advice and emotional support. That could all change very quickly if they viewed him as a genuine rival for first-team minutes.

Lampard has never used Cech ahead of any of his three senior goalkeepers in training when they have been fit and available, and he is not involved in the sessions preparing for matches. His involvement is primarily in the goalkeeping drills, offering an additional source of knowledge and guidance to Hilario. That shouldn’t be regarded as an indictment of Portuguese’s coaching methods, however; sources have told The Athletic that Chelsea are very happy with the job their former back-up goalkeeper is doing, despite Kepa’s collapse in form.

Cech is not drawing a playing salary, and his main responsibilities continue to fall under the evolving umbrella of “technical and performance adviser”. His facilitating role in some of Chelsea’s more notable recruitment successes in a spectacular transfer window have been well documented, but he has also proved adept at cultivating relationships with Lampard’s squad and those around them. Sources told The Athletic that when the agent of one first-team player was lobbying for a loan move away in January, Cech spoke regularly with him on the phone and offered calm reassurance that his client had a significant role to play at Stamford Bridge.

“His story is very beautiful in football,” Silva added of Cech. “We talk a little, he speaks a little French, so we have a little more dialogue than usual… in our daily lives he’s a very important guy, he talks a lot with each player. His story speaks for itself — we just have him as a reference and do our job.”

Cech is personally invested in Mendy’s success after vouching for his ability, and Chelsea as a club are still committed to giving Kepa every possible opportunity to rebuild his confidence and revive his career. Those two things are always likely to take precedence over giving the club’s greatest-ever goalkeeper one more opportunity to add to his legend.

Even if he has opened the door slightly to that possibility, Lampard is adamant that bringing Cech back into the first-team picture was “definitely not done for the romance”. As far as he and Chelsea are concerned, this is simply the equivalent of taking out the kind of insurance policy simply not available to most clubs.

“I wouldn’t expect it to happen this year,” he reiterated this week. “But I do know with the way he is, and how fit he is, that if we are in crisis times you couldn’t ask for much better than having Petr Cech around.”

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

Thanks to our 4th or 5th goalkeeper we now have amazing first GK. 

Great scout. 

You mean Christophe Lollichon

0ghqs25k8ji51.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s

https://www.reddit.com/r/chelseafc/comments/ieg9ts/christophe_lollichon_chelseas_gk_scout_on_edouard/

• 1 month later...

Here is what he said after the game in an interview with Czech press (a rough translation) -

'I prepared myself in a professional way for this game, but I had not played for 18 months so obviously I was pretty nervous. You don't know what to expect once you are out of the match rhythm.'

'We did not start well, found ourselves losing 0-2 early in the game and nothing that was said prior the game worked for us. We had to re-shape after going 2-0 down.'

'As far as I am concerned, I had to find the rhythm and automatisms that I was used to. 18 months without actual playing is a long time. Since minute 20, though, I grew into the game and into the role again and felt good.'

'I was happy to play and help the team, however it does not look like I will keep doing this future wise. Anyway, we got what we wanted, this is exactly what I needed if something happened and I had to start for the first team.'

'The final minutes of the game were quite fierce. It was a derby after all. There were a lot of clashes, red cards and it was obvious how much both teams wanted to win the game.'

Horrible reaction for the goals. What is going on with our keepers? Now 3 of them did poorly in the last 7 days... 

Cech is almost 40 years old. Expecting world class reactions is not going to happen.

Mendy did well overall in all matches. His weaknesses were known before he came to us. He will not be a neuer type of sweeper keeper in this life and for instance snake was horrible in that discipline too.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk