Petr Cech

eldo

The man cannot be criticized under any circumstances. He did everything for this club, he was an inch away from losing his life while wearing a Chelsea jersey, so no one can judge him. No matter for how long he stays at the Gunners, he will always be remembered as a Chelsea man. Big Pete is a Chelsea legend and he deserves respect. Well done, Pete!

P.S.: I am still not sure that giving up on him and making Courtois our #1 was the best choice. I mean, it's not that impossible to find a decent goalkeeper. We would've found someone else if Courtois wanted to go. And Pete was not only a great keeper, but also a club legend and a leader. But that's what it is, it's too late to regret it. 

13 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

13 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Yes, we know that Jose said he was against the move. The point is he only started saying that after he had said several times that he believed Big Pete deserved to be allowed to make his own choice. He even said he was proud of Chelsea for being the kind of club that would make such a decision. He said it in more than one press conference which I watched and I'm convinced he was being genuine. Only later did he start saying that he didn't want Petr to join a rival and I've explained why I think his public statements changed.

Most probably because at the time (like a lot is us) he thought Cech was going to PSG.......so when the Arsenal stuff changed from paper talk to strong rumours and agents getting involved ...did Jose up the ante about the move.....and too damn right as well.

Cechs move to Arsenal far outweighed the implications of free agent Lampards move to the City group in New York and Manchester.

Judas ;=)

2 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

Is it? I mean it's pretty obvious. He did not wish to move his family to a new City and wanted to break the EPL record for CSs and Arsenal was the only big club in the EPL needing a keeper.

Of course you can say that is not enough or unjustified, but the reasons are pretty clear, imo. 

Im sure it would have been easier for Drogba to stay in London/England after leaving in 2012 but he didn't. I'm sure it would have been easier for Henry to stay in London after leaving Arsenal (we would have had him let's be honest) but he didn't.

As Term said with Lampard, when a legacy is built at a club you just don't play for a rival, you only need to look at what Nedved said about Jose approaching him for Inter, he gave up playing under the special one and a treble to protect his legacy at Juve.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he's a traitor or everything he's done for us is forgotten, far from it, but i can't pretend I'm happy he's at Arsenal and going to spend the next few years hoping we lose every weekend.

10 hours ago, Tomo said:

I don't know who I'm more wound up at, Roman for letting him go to Arsenal or Cech for actually doing it.

How can anyone spend 11 years here and want to go anywhere near that club is beyond me.

He wanted to play football at the top level and that's totally understandable. Same with Frank. You can't benefit from a player's competitive instinct for over a decade then criticise them for it.

The fault lies entirely with Roman for sanctioning the deal. 

58 minutes ago, Ossie the King said:

He wanted to play football at the top level and that's totally understandable. Same with Frank. You can't benefit from a player's competitive instinct for over a decade then criticise them for it.

The fault lies entirely with Roman for sanctioning the deal. 

Drogba would have had his pick of English clubs if he wanted them when he left in 2012, but he decided to 100% protect his legacy,  not that Lamps or Cech have lost that here, but I wonder if anyone favrouite player couple of years back was Lampard or Cech but have since changed to Didieror Terry, maybe without even thinking in some cases.

It's a similar situation to a certain Dane goalie at United, still a legend, but his decision to play for a rival later onputs a bit of an elephant in the room.

You are right they have the right to decide what they want to do, but fans also have the right to feel how they want to feel.

5 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Drogba would have had his pick of English clubs if he wanted them when he left in 2012, but he decided to 100% protect his legacy,  not that Lamps or Cech have lost that here, but I wonder if anyone favrouite player couple of years back was Lampard or Cech but have since changed to Didieror Terry, maybe without even thinking in some cases.

It's a similar situation to a certain Dane goalie at United, still a legend, but his decision to play for a rival later onputs a bit of an elephant in the room.

You are right they have the right to decide what they want to do, but fans also have the right to feel how they want to feel.

Drogba was being offered £200k p/w to play in China. Not a single club in England could have offered him close to that amount. I don't for a minute think Frank tainted his legacy, nor did Big Pete at United. Maybe a few fans threw their toys out of the pram but even over time they come around.

I can't find fault with Cech. We chose to let him leave to a rival even though he was under contract. At best it was naive.

If he was still at Chels it would be "Chelsea star takes seat from pensioner" or "Chelsea thug pushes black man off a train"

http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/06/arsenal-star-petr-cech-gets-rush-hour-train-home-with-commuters-5605075/

On 1/5/2016 at 8:36 PM, Reddish-Blue said:

I'm glad we have Courtois but it's hard to watch Cech potentially lead Arsenal to their first title in the Abramovich era

Hopefully City go on a run and win the title.

It will be hard if that happens, but on the flipside, Ashley Cole and Fabregas togther have won the PL, CL, FA cup and Carling Cup with us.

On 05/01/2016 at 10:07 AM, Tomo said:

Drogba would have had his pick of English clubs if he wanted them when he left in 2012.

I don't believe that. He had a great game against Napoli, was important vs Barca then enjoyed spectacular moments at Wembley and in Munich, but, overall, he was really poor that season. I doubt that any of the top English sides would have had an interest in him.

On 05/01/2016 at 1:36 AM, Reddish-Blue said:

I'm glad we have Courtois but it's hard to watch Cech potentially lead Arsenal to their first title in the Abramovich era

Hopefully City go on a run and win the title.

Let's not give up hope that it won't happen but, if it does, it would not be their first of the Roman era.

2 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I don't believe that. He had a great game against Napoli, was important vs Barca then enjoyed spectacular moments at Wembley and in Munich, but, overall, he was really poor that season. I doubt that any of the top English sides would have had an interest in him.

Neither was Lampard in 2014 but City snapped him up, his leadership would have made him appealing to come into the squad of teams I think.

On 10/01/2016 at 9:25 AM, Tomo said:

Neither was Lampard in 2014 but City snapped him up, his leadership would have made him appealing to come into the squad of teams I think.

Thanks Tomo.

I don't agree but, unless we get reliable confirmation either that there were offers from top English clubs, or that there were not, we won't be able to settle it.