Filipe Luís

Jase

Says all the right things. I love him already.

About to say exactly this. It looks like he'll be a great positive influence around the dressing room. And his level of English is better than mine!

Even so, at least we found another Brazilian 'Luis' to take care of Oscar! Maybe he won't even notice if we tell him that 'Luiz' just changed his number and bought a hair straightener! :lol:

The horizontal stripes on the new home shirt are growing on me. Look way better on the players than in stock photos.

Since your all about players with punchable face, wouldn't you say that this Felipe guy falls under that category as well?

Since your all about players with punchable face, wouldn't you say that this Felipe guy falls under that category as well?

Nope, lol.

Like Skipper just said, looks like a nice guy.

When you see his interview, you get another clue as to why Mourinho wanted him. Jose places a huge emphasis on character and Luis seems to have that in abundance.

Not gonna get to hung up on his number. As Skipper says it may well just be the club leaving Ashley's old number free for a year, as they may well do with Lamps. It's a lot of pressure taking that number, but it's not like 5 is that weird of a number for a left-back to have. I'd also be surprised if Zouma took 3.

Pleased with his full interview (transcript here http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2014/07/first-words--filipe-luis.html?WT.mc_id=social_20140719_28125906) and how he talks about defending first and the importance of not conceding (typical Jose player) but I can't fail to be impressed with the way he views himself.

Might sound like a broken record but compare what he says with what Lukaku says and you'll see the difference between a Jose player and a non-Jose player.

I try to be the most complete player as possible

Last season was brilliant but Ive come here to do exactly the same.

Not 'I am the complete left-back' but an acknowledgement that even at the age of 28 coming off a league win and a Champions League Final that he still has room to improve. That's mightily impressive and exactly what Jose wants from a player. Everyone else at the club or joining in the near future, take note!

The beligum lukaku fans will reply with lukaku is just young and that the English media twist his words...

Welcome Filipe! Seems like a very likeable guy and most important he's perhaps the most complete left-back in the world right now and in his prime.

We are ready for the new season! :dance:

I don't remember anyone commentating on that, although I'm positive everyone noticed, his contract is only a 3-year deal.

We seem really decided about not giving much to players over their 30's. He'll be only 31 when he finishes his contract, but for all the people that were commentating here that we were going to have an old player in a few years, and that's why paying so much for him didn't make sense when we could have paid some more for someone like Shaw who has a future ahead of himself, the board just shut all of you up yet again.

First he went for 15.4m pounds - reported by BBC, so I buy this as the amount - which is about half the price United paid for an unproved and mystery Shaw (he could be the best LB in the world in a few years, or a flop, or anything between, we don't know that yet). 15M for a player at his best, offering only three years, capitalizing on his best years without risking to have him as deadwood in high wages (for deadwood) just shows that our board is as sharp and good as they get. This was brilliantly done and the lad handled it perfectly, showing he's willing to show the club he could stay for more, but humble enough to accept it.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant business. I can't get tired of praising our board. They're the ones that make more sense in this crazy transfer market.

I don't remember anyone commentating on that, although I'm positive everyone noticed, his contract is only a 3-year deal.

We seem really decided about not giving much to players over their 30's. He'll be only 31 when he finishes his contract, but for all the people that were commentating here that we were going to have an old player in a few years, and that's why paying so much for him didn't make sense when we could have paid some more for someone like Shaw who has a future ahead of himself, the board just shut all of you up yet again.

First he went for 15.4m pounds - reported by BBC, so I buy this as the amount - which is about half the price United paid for an unproved and mystery Shaw (he could be the best LB in the world in a few years, or a flop, or anything between, we don't know that yet). 15M for a player at his best, offering only three years, capitalizing on his best years without risking to have him as deadwood in high wages (for deadwood) just shows that our board is as sharp and good as they get. This was brilliantly done and the lad handled it perfectly, showing he's willing to show the club he could stay for more, but humble enough to accept it.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant business. I can't get tired of praising our board. They're the ones that make more sense in this crazy transfer market.

Think the point was rather that Luis is likely only to give us 2-3 years of service before we have to go out and spend on another new LB (assuming if there's no from the academy that Mourinho likes to play at LB). Hence why some preferred the club to spend on buying Shaw because he can be the No.1 LB at the club for the next 10-15 years. For all we know, we might have to spend another 15m or more to get our next LB to replace Luis, which if add up with Luis' fee equals to the amount United paid for Shaw.

And anyway, Luis will be 29 y/o next month. His contract will expire when he's 32, not 31.

I dont care if he is 40, as long as he plays as good as he did for past 3 seasons.

Lahm is 30 too but he has plenty of years still. Luis is kind of player whos positioning is realy good and doesnt rely on pace as much as many other lbs. 3 successful years here and the money we paid for him will be well spent.