The Board

4 minutes ago, manpe said:

She'd know everything about me being a "nutter" after I'm done :cig:

Scared myself earlier having my brekky vape and I suddenly thought of T'boas sex face! Had to throw myself about to get the thought out of my head! lol

We need a DOF with some knowledge of football.

He should be in charge of the scouting team and all incoming outgoing transfers. And work hand in glove with the manager in all matters.

Granny is for making the deal happen that the DOF wants doing.

2 totally separate jobs.

Or is she now a dictatorship?

Chelsea step up search for new technical director to succeed Michael Emenalo

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/08/15/chelsea-step-search-new-technical-director-succeed-michael-emenalo/

Having a director of football is a double ended sword. Plenty pros but also plenty cons. Ultimately I think if you have a good manager you should give him the power to sign players. If you have a manager with a good reputation or has a clear philosophy, good players will want to play for them anyway. Fair enough you see guys like Mochi who has done an amazing job with Sevilla firstly and also doing well at Roma and the guy who I believe was at Monaco? Lucas Campos? But again, known this clubs behaviour and patterns regarding managers, signings and all the other stuff, do these guys get final say over a manager in regards to a player? If things go wrong do they get more control in football related things than a manager? Or for example, what about Avram Grant for instance when he was here before he became manager, there was serious talk that his position as DOF undermined Mourinho's as manager and that among other things ultimately led to his dismissal and Grant being put in place as the manager. If a DOF appointment is made it has to be right guy and they have to be kept in check to do certain things. The thing is as well its not exactly a well refined position as every club that has one, their DOF do different jobs entirely than some of the other ones. It is very much a delicate decision to find the right one.

2 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Having a director of football is a double ended sword. Plenty pros but also plenty cons. Ultimately I think if you have a good manager you should give him the power to sign players. If you have a manager with a good reputation or has a clear philosophy, good players will want to play for them anyway. Fair enough you see guys like Mochi who has done an amazing job with Sevilla firstly and also doing well at Roma and the guy who I believe was at Monaco? Lucas Campos? But again, known this clubs behaviour and patterns regarding managers, signings and all the other stuff, do these guys get final say over a manager in regards to a player? If things go wrong do they get more control in football related things than a manager? Or for example, what about Avram Grant for instance when he was here before he became manager, there was serious talk that his position as DOF undermined Mourinho's as manager and that among other things ultimately led to his dismissal and Grant being put in place as the manager. If a DOF appointment is made it has to be right guy and they have to be kept in check to do certain things. The thing is as well its not exactly a well refined position as every club that has one, their DOF do different jobs entirely than some of the other ones. It is very much a delicate decision to find the right one.

Agree about the manager but our are basically told they are purely the head coach

But I think they should always have a big say and have a veto.

56 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Speaking the obvious but the most important thing about getting the Director of Football is that the person has to be on the same page as the manager. If they are, then it could work out like Txiki Begiristain and Guardiola at Man City right now. If one person is thinking A and the other thinking B, then problems will definitely arise. There is a piece on the DoF situation at Man United on ESPN FC and I largely agreed with the points made on that position.

http://global.espn.com/football/club/manchester-united/360/blog/post/3597132/for-manchester-united-is-a-director-of-football-the-answer

In the best cases, a DoF brings outstanding talent to a club and works closely with its managers. Txiki Begiristain, for example, has worked with Pep Guardiola at Barcelona and Manchester City. Monchi, now at Roma, set the template for a whole club when at Sevilla, where he spotted players like Dani Alves and Ivan Rakitic.

Such people know football and can not only evaluate a prospective signing based on ability but also assess whether or not he can fit into a system. What is more, those players might not necessarily be the biggest names; a tactic United have often used with patchy results.

For the DoF model to work, there would need to be compromise on all sides; when a manager and director of football do not work together, it can be negative and destabilizing at a club. When they do, they can help each other do their job better.

A good DoF is adept at identifying talent and negotiating transfers and would know if player X at Barcelona or Real Madrid was genuinely seeking a move, as opposed to using any "interest" in United to get himself a better deal at his current club. Knowledge and contacts are vital in DoF role and ideally, in these days of managers' ever-shorter stays in one place, they can look to the longer term.

A director of football will not be a panacea for every transfer market issue. However having a skilled, respected operator, who works and cares for the club, could be a significant asset.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/15/chelsea-technical-director-priority

Chelsea finally hope to make progress on the appointment of a new technical director to succeed the departed Michael Emenalo once the transfer window closes across Europe at the end of the month.

Emenalo left his position last November and subsequently took up a similar role at Monaco in Ligue 1, with the director Marina Granovskaia taking on his major responsibilities at Stamford Bridge. She has overseen the club’s incoming and outgoing transfers in the two windows since, including sanctioning the latest wave of loan departures this summer, with the search for a permanent successor put on hold.

Chelsea opted to prioritise the appointment of a new head coach, with Maurizio Sarri eventually replacing Antonio Conte in mid-July, and efforts to strengthen the first-team squad rather than securing a technical director. Yet while further players are expected to leave this month to add to the 31 loanees who have departed to date – Kenneth Omeruo joined Leganés on Wednesday – Granovskaia is expected to turn her attentions back to filling the role once the European and Football League loan window deadline has passed.

Sarri is understood to be eager to work closely with whoever takes up the position, meaning a candidate who speaks Italian could be favoured and would act as a go-between between the academy, first-team and hierarchy. Yet Granovskaia has still to finalise whether the appointment would be a like-for-like replacement for Emenalo, or whether duties could be shared among existing members of staff. She is likely to seek to continue to oversee transfer dealings and contract negotiations at the club.

The likes of Dan Ashworth, currently technical director at the Football Association, and the former Chelsea players Juliano Belletti and Michael Ballack have been mentioned, together with Monchi, the director of football at Roma. Informal talks have been held with other candidates who have approached the club, with Chelsea acutely aware that Manchester United may be seeking to recruit for a similar role at Old Trafford.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Unionjack said:

Constant Chelsea ‘power struggles’ with Granovskaia given as reason behind Emenalo exit

http://sportwitness.co.uk/constant-chelsea-power-struggles-granovskaia-given-reason-behind-emenalo-exit/

She needs her wings clipped before she flies us into another windowpane.