Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

I think most of you here are missing a key component in all of this, what did Bertrand want? Its clear he wasn't happy with the club and didn't want to play for Chelsea anymore. Southampton have given him a chance to play regularly and he's excelled, he was clearly fed up with waiting and even claimed he was lied to by the club.

I wish him nothing but the best, he was never gonna sign on again so 10m for a player who was likely off isn't awful.

No way back after taking a swipe at Mourinho and Chelsea.

Good player, but not great.

Thanks for CL memories

Exactly, plus on top of that we've got Wallace and Ake who both can play that position. Cesar Azpilicueta is younger and better than Bertrand, he wouldn't have had a chance.

Great bit of business.

I always have found it funny that Ivan gets (rightly) criticised for letting in too many crosses yet Bertrand who's even more guilty of it not a word :rolleyes:

Decent enough player who will have a decent enough career, but wasn't ever going to be more than a squad player here.

Exactly, plus on top of that we've got Wallace and Ake who both can play that position. Cesar Azpilicueta is younger and better than Bertrand, he wouldn't have had a chance.

Great bit of business.

Wallace is a joke. If you stand when it comes to comical defending in the Eredivisie (there's a lot of comical defending going on in that league), you have problems. Don't count on him making it here. And Ake is not a fullback, I don't think he has a future there. Doubt he'll ever make it here at all.

Anyway, the club would do well to invest in a young fullback. Marseille's Mendy is a great prospect. Like Zouma, already playing regular football at a very young age. Balanced player, contributing at both ends of the pitch. If Azpi finally moves to Rb again, Mendy could cover for Luis and eventually take over.

Yeah, that was the fee agreed on from the summer. I honestly think Saints got the better of that deal.

I think if we sold him in the Summer most would've been happy with £10 million. It's only after a few decent performances that people feel different. I think it isn't bad for a player that cost us very little and would never have been a first team player.

I think if we sold him in the Summer most would've been happy with £10 million. It's only after a few decent performances that people feel different. I think it isn't bad for a player that cost us very little and would never have been a first team player.

When I heard £10m reported my reaction was surprise that it might be so high. After all, there was talk of an £8m price tag for a move to Villa last winter and there is now one year less remaining on his contract. Given that Southampton knew we were willing to sell and that Ryan made it crystal clear he wanted to move, if we really got as much as £10m that's good work by the club.