Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

My mistake about the transfer fee..

But it still doesn't change the fact that he's been average for 16 million

Azpi didnt start that well either, it took time for him to get into the starting line up. I think in the last few games Luiz is starting to show why he's considered as one of the best.

When has a player's unhappiness ever stopped a club from keeping the player if they really wanted to. Rooney,benteke,khedira,thibo(he wasn't exactly enthusiastic about the idea of coming back to chelsea to play 2nd fiddle to cech, was he) and many more have all showed their unhappiness at current situation in varying ways, some even handling in a transfer request. Yet their clubs were still determined to keep them and so they did.

The bottomline is, if a club really wants to keep a player, they will and they usually do. The whole "bertrand wanted to leave" is absolute bollocks.

I respect those who admit that jose and the club just simply saw him as surplus to requirement and that's the real reason he was sold more than those using the former as a genuine excuse.

We should have brought in back to fight it out with 29 yo Luis while Azpi returns to his natural position at right back.

This. Precisely this.

Filipe Luis is 29. Just 4 years younger than Ash when we deemed him surplus to requirements. Ryan is 25. There's no reason at all we couldn't let him develop at Southampton, which he's doing a fine job of it should be noted, then recall him to fight for the LB position with Luis. Considering the Brazilian is being used sporadically this season as well, Ryan could have easily fought his way in.

It's another case of not trusting the lad. A lad who's got 154 loan appearances to his name by the way!

This. Precisely this.

Filipe Luis is 29. Just 4 years younger than Ash when we deemed him surplus to requirements. Ryan is 25. There's no reason at all we couldn't let him develop at Southampton, which he's doing a fine job of it should be noted, then recall him to fight for the LB position with Luis. Considering the Brazilian is being used sporadically this season as well, Ryan could have easily fought his way in.

It's another case of not trusting the lad. A lad who's got 154 loan appearances to his name by the way!

Well considering hes nowhere near good enough to be first choice at Chelsea I am 110% behind and always have been behind the clubs decision to sign the best LB in Europe from last season despite him being 28 when we got him and loaning Ryan out and then selling him this window. If Bertrand could get into this Chelsea team ahead of Filipe Luis then I reckon I could get in ahead of Diego Costa.

Whats the point in keeping a LB who isn't that great in comparison to what you've got when you have Ivanovic who is rarely injured or suspended and Luis who is rarely injured/suspended along with Azpi who can play both full back positions with incredible ease and good performances? Just a waste of a a squad place.

Well considering hes nowhere near good enough to be first choice at Chelsea I am 110% behind and always have been behind the clubs decision to sign the best LB in Europe from last season despite him being 28 when we got him and loaning Ryan out and then selling him this window. If Bertrand could get into this Chelsea team ahead of Filipe Luis then I reckon I could get in ahead of Diego Costa.

Whats the point in keeping a LB who isn't that great in comparison to what you've got when you have Ivanovic who is rarely injured or suspended and Luis who is rarely injured/suspended along with Azpi who can play both full back positions with incredible ease and good performances? Just a waste of a a squad place.

I didn't say he's ready yet. But the season he's having at Southampton now clearly shows he's no chump. In fact everytime he's actually been given a chance with us he's never done a job. He's learned from Ashley very well in that aspect. Again, he's only 25. Why couldn't he turn out into a world beater? With the right coaching, as he's showing now, he can do a very solid job.

You've also described having 3 players for 2 positions. Where's the logic there? Rule of thumb, 2 players per position. It's the way José has always operated and having a small squad could end up costing us.

All I'm suggesting is, there was a future where Bertrand could've been challenging at LB as Luis got older and Ryan grew more mature. I guess we'll have to regret it by spending big again when Luis' decline comes.

Everton come in and offer 20m, we take it and run :) normally yep, but if a good enough offer 15-20m I think we will sell and buy someone like Varane for 40m

I can genuinely see Liverpool offering 15m for Cahill. He'd be such a Liverpool signing!

Seriously? Do you guys ever think he wanted to leave? I'm sure he was sick of loans and we clearly didn't have faith in him. It's the best for him, wouldn't surprise me to see him move to City or Spurs eventually.

He still, till now, has his CL final celebration photo as his Twitter display pic. He clearly loves the club and would have wanted to play for Chelsea, but he's smart enough to realize that he needs to move on. A footballer's career is a short one, he can't afford to waste more years.

He is 25... Luke Shaw is 19,and Shaw is a better player, it's normal that Luke Shaw cost a lot more money.

I dont know what you saw in this player here or in Southampton...

Salah was the star of Basel, Willian was the star of Shaktar and Anzhi, Oscar was a the star in Internacional, Schurrle was a star of Leverkusen... all our players were stars somewhere else. Some play well here, some can't do it. The ones that can't performe are sold and we buy new ones.

It's how it is.

Luis (the best LB of last season in the world) cost 16M£,it's dificult do get more than 10M£ for a player that no one knows who he is. Many here were saying that Cuadrado for more than 15M£ would be a bad business... You need to start watching more than CHelsea games, and CHelsea players.

He still, till now, has his CL final celebration photo as his Twitter display pic. He clearly loves the club and would have wanted to play for Chelsea, but he's smart enough to realize that he needs to move on. A footballer's career is a short one, he can't afford to waste more years.

Judging by how things are going, we'll be lucky to even have one player who we can say "he's one of us" and/or "he gets us" in the first team in the future.