Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

Wow, read a lot of guff over the last few pages trying to write off a solid player who also happens to be one of our own. Always amusing when people try and flip everything around to it somehow being the player's fault when in reality it comes down to this - we simply don't give them a chance. If Ryan had been bought for £20 million from overseas.

• 2 weeks later...

Now this is a little bit interesting. He hasn't just been good at Southampton... He's been absolutely fantastic. Have we burned our bridges do you reckon or does anyone think there is any chance that Mourinho would try and call him back next year?

I personally think for his own good he should stay at Southampton and we can promote Ake as our 4th choice FB (like this year tbh) and there is little to no chance of it happening. But it would be fascinating to see him come back to the club after being pretty much written off nearly a year ago.

Whatever happens with Ryan would be good for us tbh, but we don't need him, he should leave for his own good. Good thing is that he'll fetch us £10m when he does leave, which is good enough for me. Always said that he'll be a solid left back, he's done very well.

Whatever happens with Ryan would be good for us tbh, but we don't need him, he should leave for his own good. Good thing is that he'll fetch us £10m when he does leave, which is good enough for me. Always said that he'll be a solid left back, he's done very well.

If the Saints get him for 10 mill they will have done great business ,, IMO Ryan is a genuine LB and better than the guy they sold

Its shocking how under the radar both he and moses have flown. Both have been absolutely brilliant.

I miss TOPTB, the person who used to say that RB was a bottom of the table or at best, mid table LB. Guess what soton is 2nd and RB has looked every bit a top top top dfender. Probably the 2nd best LB in the league after azpi.

So gutted that he dint get a proper run in last season. Cole was in disastorous form and yet was played every game in the start of the season. Moreover RB looks like ajose player. Solid defender, brilliant workrate, and gives his 100% for the team every time on the pitch.

Think he couls have been given the luis role this season considering luis is our 3rd choice full back, cost 16 mil and is 29 years old already.

I think jose missed a step here.

Its shocking how under the radar both he and moses have flown. Both have been absolutely brilliant.

I miss TOPTB, the person who used to say that RB was a bottom of the table or at best, mid table LB. Guess what soton is 2nd and RB has looked every bit a top top top dfender. Probably the 2nd best LB in the league after azpi.

So gutted that he dint get a proper run in last season. Cole was in disastorous form and yet was played every game in the start of the season. Moreover RB looks like ajose player. Solid defender, brilliant workrate, and gives his 100% for the team every time on the pitch.

Think he couls have been given the luis role this season considering luis is our 3rd choice full back, cost 16 mil and is 29 years old already.

I think jose missed a step here.

Unfortunately, this is not a season to gamble on Bertrand as 3rd choice FB, after trophyless season. And unfortunately again, Bertrand most likely will not want to coming back after this season.

It's a shame.

If people compare his matches where he was 'bad' compared to the ones where he played well in they would realise most games he played for us, he done well and rarely looked out of place. He is just one of them players who have done well at us but can't replace the first choice in that position for whatever reason. Bertrand is not the only one. There is also Sturridge as well. If people want to recall games where Bertrand was poor for us please do. I remember several games where he done very well for us. Most noteably Arsenal in the 0-0 draw at the Emirates about 3 seasons ago when we rotated a lot of players due to the UCL and in saying that we ended up winning the competition. But he came in for Cole that day and was given MOTM. Was superb defensively and done well offensively as well.

I have always liked Bertrand and it is nice to see he is excelling at Southampton.

this.

i remember the 0-0. he was terrific. it was around this time that his performances were good and i thought he would quietly replace ashley at some point but unfortunately never got an extended run of games to prove himself. also, both di matteo and rafa tried him on the wing for some reason when there were clearly better wingers in the team

Every time I've seen Soton this season, he hasn't just been solid, he's been one of their best and most important players; and that's really saying something considering how many players there have over performed this season. I watched the rerun of their match against Leicester at the weekend, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that that was the best attacking performance I've seen by a LB in the EPL this season. All the danger went through him.

It's such a shame how unlikely it is for him to make it here, because us and City aside, he'd literally walk into any XI in the league. But for his own good and the sake of his career he should leave. 8.5m is an absolute steal for him. Soton would be mad not to take the option to buy.

It's so weird, for us he looked alright but thats about it, i mean he didn't excel at anything. Watching him at Villa and it was the same, even some villa fans were getting on his back. At Southampton he looks like a different player, good on him tbh.

Bertrand's best qualities are his attacking runs. He is quite good defensively but his strengths are definitely in attack. That is why I feel he is excelling at Southampton. Aston Villa play a really boring style and Lambert does not set out his teams to attack and they struggle to score goals. Southampton are set up to play attractive football which involves their full backs almost playing as wing backs. It is why Luke Shaw got so much praise last season because people saw how excellent he was with his attacking runs. Bertrand is doing the exact same thing now and that is why we are seeing the best of him. Displaying his best qualites and doing an excellent job in defence as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Once again had a rather decent game. Would love to see him back here as a squad member. For sure some 15+ games some of them in the CL should be enough. Also the way he plays for Southhampton would surely be good enough to challenge Luis + the most rightfooted leftback ever for the LB squad.

Once again had a rather decent game. Would love to see him back here as a squad member. For sure some 15+ games some of them in the CL should be enough. Also the way he plays for Southhampton would surely be good enough to challenge Luis + the most rightfooted leftback ever for the LB squad.

There's no point. As it is Luis and Azpilicueta are battling that left-back role, if Luis can only get the cup games why on earth have Bertrand rotting away as usual? I'm glad he's finally found a club where he's going to get the exposure he deserves. He's always been humble about Chelsea too, so got a lot of respect for him. He'll always leave us with a Champions League Winners Medal and no-one can take that away from him.

He is doing brilliant and finaly got run where he can prove people wrong. Good player and maybe just maybe we will get him back once Luis is too old and Azpi gets back to RB. IF.

But for now, I want Ryan to stay there because he is playing well and he would be benched here again, something he doesnt deserve. But kinda proves again, that we have little patience for our youth players and always need to buy more and more players when we already have decent ones here.

Dunno, whenever he played for us he was more good than bad. Never realy excellent or stand out, but ffs, he got limited oportunities and even when given, his role was minimal.

I love how he talks about our club, youth and Terry specificaly. I realy wish we had more youth english players in the club, but who would play important role too.