Mohamed Salah

kobematabryant

Sat with my Man City fan at the pub watching the game yesterday, waxing lyrical about how Salah was a good player (very raw, but with tons of potential). Salah let me down a bit :P.

Gutted that he had a poor game (sorry but he did), but I have faith that he'll get better (he was getting into lots of good positions after all), hopefully will get a few more matches experience before the end of the season and in pre-season so he'll be quality from the start of next season.

@CHOULO, yeah maybe that was it.

Right, but I don't rate any of our strikers, so having a player like Andre, who can score from distance (as he has), could've been important in a game where the opponent was defending in their own half.

It was a horrible performance against a very poor opponent. We were very fortunate to have gotten the 3 points. Swansea only got like 3 good players and that's pretty much it. What a terrible defender Williams is: so poor on the ball... Swansea want to play possession, but you can't do that with defenders like that.

If you mean horrible performance regarding Salah, I would disagree. He did well, but not great. If you mean a horrible performance as a team, I still disagree :). It has been our problem all season long that we have a poor chance to goals ratio. We tend to miss a lot. For a moment forget about the two chances in the first 15 mins wasted by Salah. We had many other chances. Two of them should have been really simple for Eto if he was on his normal day and a third pass that Eto just stopped. Watch the highlights again, you will see what I am talking about. If we took our chances we would have won this by at least 3 goals if not more. Nothing against Schurrle, but it is not like he takes a lot of shots and scores consistently from long ranges. By all means he can and he has a good shot, but it is not like he has been doing that a lot. Well anyways, I can't say what might have been if Schurrle was on and Salah was out. We will never know really. I am glad we got the 3 pts at the end. :)

If you mean horrible performance regarding Salah, I would disagree. He did well, but not great. If you mean a horrible performance as a team, I still disagree :). It has been our problem all season long that we have a poor chance to goals ratio. We tend to miss a lot. For a moment forget about the two chances in the first 15 mins wasted by Salah. We had many other chances. Two of them should have been really simple for Eto if he was on his normal day and a third pass that Eto just stopped. Watch the highlights again, you will see what I am talking about. If we took our chances we would have won this by at least 3 goals if not more. Nothing against Schurrle, but it is not like he takes a lot of shots and scores consistently from long ranges. By all means he can and he has a good shot, but it is not like he has been doing that a lot. Well anyways, I can't say what might have been if Schurrle was on and Salah was out. We will never know really. I am glad we got the 3 pts at the end. :)

I meant the team and I agree Shalah did well. Although I'd not play Salah so often at this moment... yes because he's so young and I believe composure/experience is more important in the final games of the season. Pressure should not be put on young players at thsi time. Again, I thought Andre's long shooting was more important then than any ability to get into positions.

Agree to disagree then (on the performance). The commentator on TV said, and rightfully so, that although Chelsea would prob end up winning the match, we are not a side that can take this type of advantage (in numbers) and really hurt the opponent. Yes, the strikers are very poor, but it's not just that. It's the system and some players. People who are expecting to win the league easy next season with (far) better striker options are going to get a reality check.

I personally think Mourinho's system (Scolari's and a number of other head-coaches) of low defense line, high pressure to cause opponent's mistake is best suited for cup competitions. The defensive solidity of these type of systems don't help you so much in long championships. Case in point: Liverpool... Discussion for a different thread though. :)

He's definitely a Mourinho guy. You can tell Mou likes the kid a lot, as evident by his celebration when he scored v Arsenal.. So I don't think it'll bother Jose one tiny bit that he didn't "shine" yesterday. Exposure is what he wants Salah to have right now.

The problem with Salah so to speak is that he's great pushing the ball but when he required to play the intricate touch he's lacking. It doesn't mean he's horrible by any stretch but he not going to be the guy to make the 40 yard run then make the incisive pass or delicious skilled dribble to get 1 or 2 guys.

His game works for industry and to create gaps from pace but his final 3rd work isn't good enough.

I think it was Holland who said this about Salah and, imo, he's spot on. He said that he will be important for us because he offers a different dimension that can be the solution against the teams that defend with 9 men behind the ball because we have AMs who like to link-up and keep the ball around the box but Salah is the only one who runs at people and commits defenders.

'I think he has the potential to be a very exciting player,’ Mourinho told Chelsea’s official magazine

.'He has come from a different situation to most of the squad, because he was playing in Switzerland before he came here, and in Egypt before that, so he has to adapt to his surroundings here

.'He has incredible pace and he is comfortable receiving the ball in space, like a traditional winger, so he offers us another way to beat the defence.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2604509/Salah-potential-exciting-Chelsea-says-boss-Mourinho.html