Mohamed Salah

kobematabryant

This too much overreaction. Talk about willian too many didn't like the signing but who's complaining now. Oh let sing the song the bought his flight ticket bla bla bla, bla bla bla. I hope this kid prove right that he got it

You can't compare this to the Willian signing.

People didn't like the Willian signing at the time because it looked unnecessary as we had Mata and KDB at the time whom many thought we're going to be vital parts of the team. It was pretty justified. No one even said Willian was a bad player, just that the transfer wasn't needed at the time because it wasn't clear what Mou's game plan was.

This however is different, Salah has come in to fill a void in the squad at a relatively low price and people are already saying we should sell him off when he hasn't even played 90 minutes here which is wrong.

You can't compare the two.

Mourinho on Salah...

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/2/18/5421016/jose-mourinho-urges-patience-with-mohamed-salah

“You know, playing at Stamford Bridge is not the same as playing for FC Basel.

“With Basel you play to you enjoy your time and you have nothing to lose. While in the blue shirt, you have 40,000 people that you are required to please. Everyone wants you to be decisive, all the time.

“So I think Mohamed needs six months to adapt our game and the demands of the Premier League. I am calm and I’m telling him that he has time because we have confidence in him. I think next season is Mohamed Salah’s break-through season,”

You can't compare this to the Willian signing.

People didn't like the Willian signing at the time because it looked unnecessary as we had Mata and KDB at the time whom many thought we're going to be vital parts of the team. It was pretty justified. No one even said Willian was a bad player, just that the transfer wasn't needed at the time because it wasn't clear what Mou's game plan was.

This however is different, Salah has come in to fill a void in the squad at a relatively low price and people are already saying we should sell him off when he hasn't even played 90 minutes here which is wrong.

You can't compare the two.

am not comparing them but just pointing out what willi brought that energy. I still believe salah will offer his quoter

• 2 weeks later...

Willian cost 30 or 32M pounds and has 2 goals in 28 appearances. He's a useful player,has incredible energy and a great work-rate but isn't worth near what we paid for him. For that price for a midfielder, you should be getting one of the best players in the world, not a work-rate effort kind of guy. (We got Hazard for the same price and Hazard is better and younger). Salah's transfer fee is much more reasonable so he doesn't have the same expectations.

You dont get players like Hazard all the time, do you? Its easy now to compare Hazard to any player in the world, but 2 years, probably only belgian fans and youtube addict guys would think Hazard will be as good as he is for us right now, and for me he was just okay in his first season. Right now he is WAY better than the previous season. When we got Hazard, he wasnt the player he is today. Right now his price is much more than that.

Plus, midfielder is much more complex than you think. Iniesta and Xavi are all midfielders, but they goal record arent great, specially when they are playing in a team that scores a lot of goals, but its just impossible to measure their impact for Barcelona in goals or even is assists. So your "goals per game" is only a poor way to look at football.

Well, and to end my post, I sadly predict Salah to be one of those typical Mourinho's signing: Maniche, Jarosik, Sidwell, Wright-Philips, Ben Haim, Pizarro. Deja-vu.

I don't think he has had enough time or that we've seen enough of him to be cynical much less make a really committed analysis. If he is supposed to be the weakest out of Hazard, Oscar, Willian, Schurrle and Salah in our attacking midfield then I like the look of things to come.

Well, and to end my post, I sadly predict Salah to be one of those typical Mourinho's signing: Maniche, Jarosik, Sidwell, Wright-Philips, Ben Haim, Pizarro. Deja-vu.

Most of those players were older, established players when we signed them. Salah is young and will probably retain most of his value no matter what happens at Chelsea.

I also think it's way too early to judge him considering some of Schurrle's recent comments about having to make changes to play under Mourinho. Jose asks a lot of players both tactically and physically and Salah is in the early stages of his career here. He may well play a small role this season but I don't think we'll see what he can truly offer until September/October.

You dont get players like Hazard all the time, do you? Its easy now to compare Hazard to any player in the world, but 2 years, probably only belgian fans and youtube addict guys would think Hazard will be as good as he is for us right now, and for me he was just okay in his first season. Right now he is WAY better than the previous season. When we got Hazard, he wasnt the player he is today. Right now his price is much more than that.

Plus, midfielder is much more complex than you think. Iniesta and Xavi are all midfielders, but they goal record arent great, specially when they are playing in a team that scores a lot of goals, but its just impossible to measure their impact for Barcelona in goals or even is assists. So your "goals per game" is only a poor way to look at football.

Hazard was 21, and was the 2-time player of the year in France. He was one of the most sought after young players in football. He made the PFA team of the season in his first year. He was an elite young player with world-class talent who made an immediate impact at a top level. He was 32M Willian is 25, was playing in a crappy league, couldn't crack the Brazilian national team, and he cost the same. He cost more than Oscar, Mata, Silva, etc...Willian cost the same as Mario Goetze...etc..

And yes, I am aware there are different kinds of midfielders, but WIllian is not a central midfielder and doesn't play the same role as Iniesta, Xavi, etc..play. He is an attacking midfielder, usually playing in the #10 slot. Nobody would be upset if Matic doesn't produce goals and assists because that's not his job, but it is Willian's job. 2 goals in 30 games is terrible. Yes, he has great work ethic and energy, but that's not a 30M midfielder.

Hazard was 21, and was the 2-time player of the year in France. He was one of the most sought after young players in football. He made the PFA team of the season in his first year. He was an elite young player with world-class talent who made an immediate impact at a top level. He was 32M Willian is 25, was playing in a crappy league, couldn't crack the Brazilian national team, and he cost the same. He cost more than Oscar, Mata, Silva, etc...Willian cost the same as Mario Goetze...etc..

And yes, I am aware there are different kinds of midfielders, but WIllian is not a central midfielder and doesn't play the same role as Iniesta, Xavi, etc..play. He is an attacking midfielder, usually playing in the #10 slot. Nobody would be upset if Matic doesn't produce goals and assists because that's not his job, but it is Willian's job. 2 goals in 30 games is terrible. Yes, he has great work ethic and energy, but that's not a 30M midfielder.

Still he displaced Mata, Schürrle and KDB. There's a reason for that, José sees it, the rest of the world sees it except you it seems. Liverpool and Tottenham where also keen on signing him for big money. The thing about him not cracking the brazilian national team is bullshit, same case as Fernandinho. Hell, Willian didn't even had a starting spot here when he got called up by Scolari. Was he suddenly worthy enough because he plays at Chelsea? In the end football is about results, not racking 4-5 goals a game. Willian btw has alot more defensive duties then Hazard.

Still he displaced Mata, Schürrle and KDB. There's a reason for that, José sees it, the rest of the world sees it except you it seems. Liverpool and Tottenham where also keen on signing him for big money. The thing about him not cracking the brazilian national team is bullshit, same case as Fernandinho. Hell, Willian didn't even had a starting spot here when he got called up by Scolari. Was he suddenly worthy enough because he plays at Chelsea? In the end football is about results, not racking 4-5 goals a game. Willian btw has alot more defensive duties then Hazard.

He displaced those players because Mourinho values pace and work-rate over everything else. And it's not that he's not scoring 4-5 goals a game, he's scoring 1 goal every 15 games. I never said he's a bad player or a useless player, he's just not worth what we paid for him and never will be.

He displaced those players because Mourinho values pace and work-rate over everything else. And it's not that he's not scoring 4-5 goals a game, he's scoring 1 goal every 15 games. I never said he's a bad player or a useless player, he's just not worth what we paid for him and never will be.

I reckon he is worth 20-25 million but considering interest from Spurs and, maybe, other sides, the price is just about right. Any team must have had to pay up in a similar range. Also the Bale transfer just inflated the market by 5-10 million.

You keep the "goal per game" bullshit, sorry, but Im done here. You way to look at the game is very limited, sorry.

Or maybe one of those "typical Mourinho signings" like Drogba, Essien, Ballack, Carvalho, Ferreira or Ashley Cole?

Ballack and Cole were big names.

Drogba and Essien had good performance in french league. (Essien was perhaps the best player for Lyon).

Ferreira and Carvalho were UCL winners with Jose.

To me Salah does not sound like that.

Drogba and Essien had good performance in french league. (Essien was perhaps the best player for Lyon).

Essien, Ballack - i'll give you that but Drogba? Easy now to say that he was gonna be successful here because he's gone on to establish himself. At the time he was signed there was so much uncertainty around him and his first season here was nothing special. Also with Cole, weren't there a few at the time who thought that Arsenal got the better end of the deal?

We don't know what the future lies for Salah. What we do know is that this is a risk free signing with potential. He might come good or he might not but there's no way of predicting.

And.... was Cole even all that good in Mourinho's first stint here?

Edited by dee25

Exactly, all big names at the peak of their careers. Salah is 21. I don't see you act so judgemental over Hazard or Courtois.

To be fair, Deja Vu was never given a real chance with the first team..

He is too one dimensional player to suceed at top club. He has pace, but no strength, only decent passing, good dribbling but bad ball control. And his decision making is not the best.

Give him time I will, but wouldnt bet he will succeed properly here. Hope Im wrong though.