Best CM Pairing?

Gilvorak

Not just based on how we're playing, but also based on what we know Ramires is capable of in a more advanced role, for example and based on what I know about Lampard's usual defensive contribution. I mean how well does Jose really know the squad at the moment? Like you said, he's still testing things out.

let's just stick to the last part. ;)

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any kind of CM pairing we can field is too weak for what our standard should be. Therefore I find it hard to name a best pair, managers have shuffled through all the permutations and I've yet to see any that make those positions theirs. And I guess the managers agree, otherwise they wouldn't have shuffled.

De Bruyne didn't play anything like our central midfield in Bremen. he played attacking midfielder and in the Bremen system, he often played almost as a second striker. He simply is not nearly good enough to play effectively in a pivot. His tackle success rate is 25% (He either misses or fouls on the other 75%). That's not bad, that's atrocious. This year he has been successful on 20% of tackles so far so that trend is continuing. Not a guy you want sitting in front of your defenders. (Ramires and Lampard have won 66% and 53% of duels respectively, and 53% is not good but twice as good as De Bruyne).

I also think our central midfield has just become the focus for what is wrong with the team for years (mostly because we haven't bought anybody new and don't have anyone young there and people really have new and young player obsessions) and tends to be blamed for everything, but while I don't see any pairing as ideal, right now, it is hardly THE major hole in our team the way people want to portray it. When he have been vulnerable defensively, it has almost inevitably been on the wings. Overall, in the three league games, our central midfield has been quite good. The two players have combined for 6.3 tackles a game to only 1.7 fouls. They have 1 goal and 1 assist. They've combined for almost 88% passing and no defensive errors. I'm sick of seeing every single game where we struggle at all being "the pivot is too slow", "we need the pivot to blah blah blah" as the default to why things are wrong. I'm not saying that it isn't sometimes at fault just that it gets blamed for everything. They have to have a fantastic game to get any praise. I think there are a myriad of reasons for this. One is that people don't seem to fundamentally understand what central midfielders in a system like Mourinho's are supposed to do.

What's wrong with relying on your pace? Ronaldo and Bale have made a career of it (No I am not saying that Rami is as good as either). But what I think makes Rami close to world-class is his delivery at the end of those amazing runs. His ability to finish at top speed after running more than 50 meters or find the killer pass on a regular basis is unmatched by any footballer I know.

Ramires doesn't have much besides pace.

Yes, you've already said that. And for me, that's just not true. Besides pace he obviously has stamina. And imo, he's the best finisher in our squad.

I wouldn't say he's the best finisher (Lampard and Mata are able to score great goals with fairly high shooting percentages. Ramires is more limited in his range.) but I think that he has a generally underrated skill. He doesn't take a lot of bad shots. The vast majority of the shots he takes are from areas where he should be shooting so he is an efficient shooter who doesn't waste a lot of shots. That's Ramires' positive qualities for me-the ability to contribute massively without being the focal point of anything and without trying to extend himself too much beyond his skill set.

I wouldn't say he's the best finisher (Lampard and Mata are able to score great goals with fairly high shooting percentages. Ramires is more limited in his range.) but I think that he has a generally underrated skill. He doesn't take a lot of bad shots. The vast majority of the shots he takes are from areas where he should be shooting so he is an efficient shooter who doesn't waste a lot of shots. That's Ramires' positive qualities for me-the ability to contribute massively without being the focal point of anything and without trying to extend himself too much beyond his skill set.

His shooting for range is just woeful. But his finishing from inside the box is unmatched by anyone in our squad, especially not at top speed like Ramires does. Goals against City, Barca, Liverpool, Wigan, Tottenham, Madrid,,etc and those are just off the top of my head; no one in our squad is capable of those finishes, imo.

I don't care who pairs Oscar. Just make sure he plays there starting at Everton.

Engine, pace, tackling, workrate, passing, movement, intelligence etc he has it all.

I would love to see an Oscar - Ramires partnership, don't know if Mourinho is thinking the same though.

His shooting for range is just woeful. But his finishing from inside the box is unmatched by anyone in our squad, especially not at top speed like Ramires does. Goals against City, Barca, Liverpool, Wigan, Tottenham, Madrid,,etc and those are just off the top of my head; no one in our squad is capable of those finishes, imo.

I would say he has FAR more composure when it comes to taking chances when compared to say, someone like Mata which allows him to shoot without hesitating. This makes him very adept at striking whilst moving at great speed. As far as quality of the finish itself goes, all I can say is he can do a great chip shot, but that's about it.