Best CM Pairing?

Gilvorak

I would love to see an Oscar - Ramires partnership, don't know if Mourinho is thinking the same though.

Mourinho refused to play Modric there which ended up costing Madrid last season but I'm hoping he gives Oscar a go since he's superior defensively than the former.

Lampard's lack of mobility and poor ball retention skills hurt us badly then when you pair him with Ramires who struggles to pass the ball past 5 yards the midfield is almost non existent.

If Aaron Ramsey can play there and dominate Paulinho, Dembele and Capoue I see no reason why Oscar couldn't at least replicate or even better those type of performances.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you serious with your final statement???

I am. If I have to choose one of our players (bar the new boys as I don't know them as well yet) to go one-on-one with the keeper, I'd choose Rami. he always produces a quality finish inside the box.

I would say he has FAR more composure when it comes to taking chances when compared to say, someone like Mata which allows him to shoot without hesitating. This makes him very adept at striking whilst moving at great speed. As far as quality of the finish itself goes, all I can say is he can do a great chip shot, but that's about it.

Not just the chip, though. See the finishes against City in his first season and Wigan and Tottenham last season. The Tottenham one in particular is a world-class finish that very very few strikers can come up with.

• 2 weeks later...

How many seasons since the bad luck Essien had with horror injuries,and the aging Legend Lamps have we needed a Cm in his prime? 1 man and his dog could see this but oh no lets keep buying youngsters and attacking midfielders!!! Grrrr

I am. If I have to choose one of our players (bar the new boys as I don't know them as well yet) to go one-on-one with the keeper, I'd choose Rami. he always produces a quality finish inside the box.

Not just the chip, though. See the finishes against City in his first season and Wigan and Tottenham last season. The Tottenham one in particular is a world-class finish that very very few strikers can come up with.

He does get in those striker position more often cos he is one of our fastest players. But that does not mean he is the best finisher. The game he scored that awesome goal vs Tottenham he also fell on his face attempting to shoot on empty goal. He scores some nice goals but he also misses and he is not exactly a regular scorer. One could argue Ivanovic is our best finisher. cos he scores most of his efforts from close range. in fact, Lampard is our best finisher. He can do it from any kind of distance and position with both feet and his head. He has done so over a decade on a consistent basis.

Absolutely. Mikel - Ramires for me.

Lampard should be nowhere near those two positions as he does not protect the back four.

I would also use KDB, Oscar, and Van Ginkel there occasionally to give a different dynamic and more control against lesser sides.

That was terrible yesterday and if anyone listened to Jose's interview yesterday we do not play with players whose sole responsibility is to sit and protect the back four, we need players who press and win the ball quickly and as high up the pitch as posssible the Maka role is now redundant and rightly so untill another one close to being as good as he was is born.

The Rammy ,Mikel partnership stunk of sh1t Rammy does not have the quality on the ball and Mikel is not close to being Maka. My two for Spurs has to be Rammy and Lampard . What we have at moment is Mikel sitting (all though Jose had him running more yesterday and a big vacuum with just Rammy againt (Parker and Sidwell) and our three AM's beyond that we need to squeeze up in midfield ,Jose said that is how Abramovich wants us to play,no more two banks of four with Mata behind a striker.

Jose played what he thinks is his best team yesterday because he knew we just HAD to win and we only have Swindon in midweek so there is no need to rest players. And that goes for the pivot as well. Jose said in his long post-match Sky interview that we want to play possession football, and for that purpose, Mikel-Ramires is the obvious best pairing.

Lampard would get eaten alive against any combination Villas Boas fields v us. He wouldn't even see it coming. They have bought really well, and have a lot of fast, strong, tall and technically sound players now.

As Mourinho himself said, Mikel was great and gave us the balance we lacked all season with Frank in there. It's gonna be Ramires and Mikel plus any three of our magicians behind the striker.

Jose played what he thinks is his best team yesterday because he knew we just HAD to win and we only have Swindon in midweek so there is no need to rest players. And that goes for the pivot as well. Jose said in his long post-match Sky interview that we want to play possession football, and for that purpose, Mikel-Ramires is the obvious best pairing.

DId he say that for that purpose Mikel - Ramires is the best pairing or is that your opinion and did he just say he wants to play possession football?

Wish Mourinho would stop being so stubborn and play a pivot of Oscar-Mikel/Ramires. Creativity with dynamism or defensive discipline, depending on which of Mikel and Ramires features.

So he won't play Oscar in midfield because he's being stubborn?

Could it be that he thinks Oscar (our best player this season) is more effective in the number 10 position rather than being 'stubborn'? I wanted Oscar to play in the double pivot, but Jose sees him day in and day out and doesn't agree, and I accept that because Jose has forgotten more about football than you or I will ever know.

I don't think he's being 'stubborn'. :doh:

This has to be the position we sort out next summer, maybe even a short term solution in January.

Arsenal supposedly are going to step up their interest in Gundogan, if he goes to Arsenal and we don't as much as show an interest i will cry, he is one of those take teams to the next level players, he is that good.