Fredy Guarin

xPetrCechx

Utd had Scholes.

And even if you do want go for power, Lampard and Essien in their prime were in a different class compared to Guarin. And I'm sorry but a midfield-three consisting of Ramires, Mikel and Guarin sounds awful.

True I can't believe I forgot him. for some reason carrick was the name that came to my mind as the lead utd midfielder in recent times and he's not a regista.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because every top and dominant team in the ever evolving modern game has/had one. Domestically or in Europe with the exception of Utd. Barca-Xavi, Bayern-bastian, Dortmund-sahin/Gundogan, Juve-Pirlo, Madrid- Alonso etc. In the modern game where possession is key, you need atleast one of these type of players in your team as they are the glue that knits everything together and central component to possession based teams. It's no coincidence that we always struggle to control games against other top teams and even against some lesser teams regularly.

Guess what. Dortmund, Juve and Real haven't won shit in CL.

Also, Schweinsteiger and Xavi aren't exactly deep lying playmakers, are they? Schweinsteiger is as complete as a midfielder can get, and Xavi plays further up the pitch for both club and country. Just because they can pass, it doesn't mean they are suddenly deep lying. Look at next WC's favourites. Where's Brazil's deep lying midfielder? Germany doesn't play with one either. Khedira and Schweinsteiger are both complete CM's - closer to box-to-box which Ramires and Guarin are. For a stop gap (or rotation player), Guarin's not bad.

If we are just talking about midfielder's ability to pass, Guarin can make key passes, and he's created more clear-cut chances than anyone in Serie A this season.

Because the point is to feature a dynamic midfielder every game, Ramires plays virtually every game (and better does so given how his game relies on stamina) but his absence is an issue we can't cope with

Guarin would have played at Middlesbrough on Tuesday in instance, would have added more dynamism in midfield, would've supported better the 1st pressing wave than Lampard did

I think the point is that we need someone with the ability to link our defence to attack through consistent quality passing. That is what we lack and want at the minute, not a stand-in for Ramires

But why do you think he'd be a starter straight away ?

He's just Meireles' replacement two years later, able to play every role in midfield.

He's the Ramires-like player we awfully needed for rotation purpose (Matuidi would've been a better option than Guarin, yet still not better than Rami of course)

It's not that I think he'd be a starter but I read some posts talking about that midfield-three being a possibility.

I personally don't see the similarity between him and Ramires tbh. Energetic yes but he's more like the Gerrard of old imo, only not nearly as good.

Guess what. Dortmund, Juve and Real haven't won shit in CL.

Also, Schweinsteiger and Xavi aren't exactly deep lying playmakers, are they? Schweinsteiger is as complete as a midfielder can get, and Xavi plays further up the pitch for both club and country. Just because they can pass, it doesn't mean they are suddenly deep lying. Look at next WC's favourites. Where's Brazil's deep lying midfielder? Germany doesn't play with one either. Khedira and Schweinsteiger are both complete CM's - closer to box-to-box which Ramires and Guarin are. For a stop gap (or rotation player), Guarin's not bad.

If we are just talking about midfielder's ability to pass, Guarin can make key passes, and he's created more clear-cut chances than anyone in Serie A this season.

"Domestically or in Europe" I guess you missed that part huh. those teams have atleast won their respective league in recent times. They most importantly control the game far better than we do and play more exciting football than us which is more the point I was making.

You must have a different definition of what constitute a deep lying playmaker to the rest of the world if you think Xavi and Bastian don't fit the definition. Moreover all action midfielders can also be regista as that tag is used to define midfielders with certain qualities and ability. specifically the ability to orchestrate play from deep and control the tempo of the game by retaining and maintaining possession even under heavy pressure, getting the ball to the attacking midfielders and strikers with the right amount of pace and accuracy and so on. just because some deep lying playmakers also have other characteristics that might be associated with defensive midfielders doesn't change a thing.

By your logic Suarez and Ronaldo De lima have/had the ability to evade defenders and create chances like attacking midfielders therefore they aren't exactly strikers

Attackers are also to blame if the ball doesn't come quickly enough to them. Less than last season but still

Anyway point is to improve the overral movement pattern, link players through easy angles etc. A sole player able to put the ball onto someone else's foot with a lofted pass while the latter is static, unavailable, not bothered, not concerned... will not sort the current lack of fluency in our attacking play. (We have this player, it's Mata)

Guarin or Ramires' purpose is that they're not positional midfielders without the ball (as far as I know of Guarin but I don't think I'm off topic), they do press, they're proactive, they can get just behind the attackers when they press. Mikel and Van Ginkel are more the positional type, and Lampard/Essien just haven't the legs to press efficiently anymore. We've only Ramires who can press efficiently and when he's away Chelsea's play isn't dynamic at all

Exactly, we look outfought in the middle when ramires is tired, having a bad day or doesnt play. Guarins presence will make it more of a brazilian pivot of Gustavo - Paulinho.

A more Combative and energetic pivot

"Domestically or in Europe" I guess you missed that part huh. those teams have atleast won their respective league in recent times. They most importantly control the game far better than we do and play more exciting football than us which is more the point I was making.

You must have a different definition of what constitute a deep lying playmaker to the rest of the world if you think Xavi and Bastian don't fit the definition. Moreover all action midfielders can also be regista as that tag is used to define midfielders with certain qualities and ability. specifically the ability to orchestrate play from deep and control the tempo of the game by retaining and maintaining possession even under heavy pressure, getting the ball to the attacking midfielders and strikers with the right amount of pace and accuracy and so on. just because some deep lying playmakers also have other characteristics that might be associated with defensive midfielders doesn't change a thing.

By your logic Suarez and Ronaldo De lima have/had the ability to evade defenders and create chances like attacking midfielders therefore they aren't exactly strikers

So they only had domestic success? Uh... who cares? We play in a very different league where the last few champions didn't have any high class deep lying playmakers, our team included. Carrick can pass but he's no playmaker, and Scholes simply didn't play much. It's true Schweinsteiger's been dropping deeper and deeper as he's aged, but he's no deep lying playmaker in a sense that Pirlo and Xabi Alonso are. He's still a very complete player who gets up and down. I can give you Xavi, but even he's moved further up the pitch than he used to early in his career. And of course when he plays for Spain, he's got Busquets and Xabi behind him.

Also, Suarez and Ronaldo were strikers with play making ability, not the other way around.

Anyway my point is that we simply need certain qualities from our midfielder not necessarily the style of Pirlo or Xabi. Yaya Toure is not like Pirlo, but we could use him more than we could use Pirlo.

I've seen three 'every touch compilation' video of this guy and I see he doesn't like (or don't know how) to pass the ball very often. So I don't know what he can bring that we don't already have in Ramirez. I'm hoping to god we don't sign him.

But why do you think he'd be a starter straight away ?

He's just Meireles' replacement two years later, able to play every role in midfield.

He's the Ramires-like player we awfully needed for rotation purpose (Matuidi would've been a better option than Guarin, yet still not better than Rami of course)

Well, if he isn't a stater, then our central midfield problems are gonna persist.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jose buys another CM in this window.

Well, if he isn't a stater, then our central midfield problems are gonna persist.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jose buys another CM in this window.

I don't think we're going to sign 2 CM's in January...

I think we'll sign Guarin in January...see how it goes and then sign a top-class midfielder at the end of the season

According to Di Marzio the deal is yet to be done: the offer is yet to be a formal one to Inter, no agreement between us and the player and the player with is agent. We are looking at signing Matic if this deal would fail, when Matic will cost at least 30m Euros. Still looks like it will be Guarin though.

Guarin or Matic??

Not even a close contest.

If you want a centre midfielder who is not only top class but also complete, then Matic by a long way. I rate him very highly. He's an excellent defender, can tackle well, passes well, scores goals, aerial dominance, physicality, strength, good vision. He has it all. He’s just quality. Also has a great attitude, hard worker and a team player.

Really hope the club just puts in a bit more money and signs him. Matic, Ramires, Van Ginkel & Mikel – with Chalobah gradually being integrated – would give us very, very strong options in central midfield.

Also Matic will allow us to experiment with playing Oscar in central midfield.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You