Jase

Tough team selection. Have United to think about as well

Cech

Azpi Cahill Terry Bertrand

Van Ginkel Essien

De Bruyne Mata Schurrle

Lukaku

Rest Oscar and Hazard for United

I'd actually prefer Ba to start and save Lukaku for United. But other than that this squad is what I would use.Hopefully Jose saw the villa vs arsenal match and is aware of Villa's counter attacking game and the threat Benteke is

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would like to see rotation and rest players for United on Monday- getting results in games like that are what wins you titles. Villa shouldn't be underestimated though, so we need to find a balance. Like choo choo said, Cahill must not start, he can't handle Benteke.

Cech

Azpilicueta Luiz Terry Cole

Essien Ramires

Schurrle Mata Oscar

Lukaku

Benteke plays on breaking the offside trap and Cahill is one of the worst defenders I've seen when it comes to playing the offside trap.

I actually think that's one of his strengths. I've seen him countless times looking across the line and successfully playing the offside trap.

Does anyone have stats to check this? I'd be curious.

I'm going to wait on news about how the players' condition is after today's game. I don't think there's anyone except Ramires - who was tackled ugly by the opposition twice - that should worry us.

I wonder if Mata can start. If Mou were to choose who is to leave the team based in today's match alone, that would be Hazard. Kev and Oscar played better than him imo. Good thing that's not how Mourinho works and it takes more than one game for him to drop one of the biggest guys in the team.

I also wonder how much of Eden's so-so match had to do with his physical condition. There's no denial he came back a little bit chubbier and maybe he's struggling a bit with his form because it's way too soon. All players take a bit to regain fitness. Or maybe it has nothing to do with that, but I think Mourinho would like for him to start as much as possible now.

So for now I think he may repeat the team - adding Mata or not depending on his condition, or he will be cheeky and just use Mata in the second - to add some minutes - and have a 'surprise' for Moyes next weekend.

What really concerns me though is when Luiz will be ready. I agree having Cahill against Villa will be challenging, but having him against ManUtd is a disaster waiting to happen.

I remember Flopsy said he wasn't completely fit (in the pre-match interview he gave yesterday), but unless he feels really bad, I don't think Lukaku is going to start. I'm not sure Mourinho wants to start a team rotation against an opposition that beat Arsenal at the Emirates and that not only is confident, but also has some dangerous players while we're still looking our best fitness and chemistry. That's the main reason why I think he'll bring his A team Wednesday and his A team imo is the one who played today + Mata and Luiz replacing Kevin and Cahill. So I expect only those changes - if any.

Seen many have included Terry into their starting XI prediction here. Not sure I would want to play him here at all against the counter attacking pace of Benteke, Weimann and Agbonlahor as he's arguably the slowest defender we've got in the team right now and not to mention, Terry turns at the speed of a tank..

Not sure if I want to see Benteke rape Cahill again. Hopefully Luiz or Azpi (so Iva plays at CB) play instead of Cahill for this one.

Not going to be an easy game. Hopefully we show the gooners how it's done though. My starting XI if everyone was fit:

Cech

Ivanovic - Luiz - Terry - Cole

Mikel - MVG

Moses - Mata - Hazard/Schurrle

Lukaku

Take off Mata, Terry maybe Luiz or Cole when the game's hopefully comfortable. Should be good enough to produce a good result against Villa.

COYB!

Seen many have included Terry into their starting XI prediction here. Not sure I would want to play him here at all against the counter attacking pace of Benteke, Weimann and Agbonlahor as he's arguably the slowest defender we've got in the team right now and not to mention, Terry turns at the speed of a tank..

Then again, not playing Terry is basically forfeiting his aerial presence during set pieces and with the long direct game Villa do play (long balls to Benteke for example). People really over exaggerate how slow Terry is - he's never been quick to begin with, he's always relied on positional sense and being in the right place rather than his recovery ability. Terry played well against Villa at the end of last season so it really isn't as big as a problem you're trying to make it seem to be.

If Chelsea can duplicate the fluidity in their attack as seen yesterday, there is no way they cannot beat Villa.

Chelsea´s strong defense, the balance of their play was almost perfect yesterday.

The midfield closed down the gaps which created counter attack & it took pressure off the defense, I feel.

It has been a long time since I have seen Chelsea to perform so well as seen in the first half yesterday.

I believe, a statement was sent out to all other teams. Chelsea means business to challenge for the PL title this season.

As analyzed by reporters, Chelsea played a near perfect game yesterday.

We all should be proud of the team & I believe, a great season lies ahead.

Mata, Luiz, Moses, Essien, Azpi, these players will get a chance on Wednesday. Also, it has been a long time since I have seen so much balance & power on this team.

Mark my words, the team is the strongest in several years. Also, I believe one more player is coming. A striker by the end of next week. Happy days are here again...