André Schürrle

BlueLion.

You are one of his fans. His goal was far from world class, even Torres would have scored that.

Modern football is wingers are required to defend as well. He was not defending alone, he was poor defensively from the first minute he arrived on the pitch.

Watch the goal again. He actually starts on the right side next to Eden, then he makes a great horizontal run to the opposite side when the ball moves right, and then times his run at the far post to perfection that he is still ahead of Mangala but not offside. That is the kind of striker movement that coaches try to teach to young kids in academies. I don't think anyone in our squad, bad Costa, would have scored that goal.

You are right, winger are expected to defend, and Schurrle did. But he is not expected to defend the wing all by himself. He is after all an attacker. He's even originally a striker. You can't expect him to get isolated 1vs1 against an opposition attacker and win the duel. If he does then that is something extra. But he did his job by being there and trying his best to defend.

Plus, why all the hate for Andre? Still upset about those two goals he scored against you? :P

That run was really world class and it wasn't the easiest goal. The problem with Andre is, he can be selfish at times, and sometimes shoots when he should pass, and he is inconsistent. While Willian is consistently average most of the time, Andre can be either brilliant or poor.

If he plays on the left, he will always cut in and shoot. Like someone said during the game, there's a reason he had the most shots in Bundesliga in his last season at Leverkusen.

Normally though he would score with all those chances, but it wasn't happening for him and he kept trying to force it.

Anyway I still hope he starts against Villa - for the attacking threat he provides over Willian... but i don't think it's likely since the latter will be fresher.

Was perhaps trying too hard to impress Mourinho after he was (unfairly) solely blamed for the goal conceded against City. But hey, at least, not all of his shots were completely wayward. :whistling: On another day, he could have had easily scored 2-3 goals if it weren't for the keeper and some last ditched blocks.

in what world did he "DESERVE" a goal. what he really "DESERVED" is a kick up his ass for being so hopelessly selfish from minute1. football is a team game for a reason!!!

Should've perhaps said, 'he should've scored at least 1 of those chances'. Obviously was trying very hard to impress after being criticized, though it was abit annoying how the players were shooting from outside of the box, especially when there wasn't a few goals lead.

I don't mind if it was 3-0 up and everyone is having a go, but not when it's 0-0 or 1-1. Bolton's defense were pretty much inviting for it though with the way they backed off.

I am getting this feeling about Schurrle. Something is missing. Something I can't put my finger on it.. but when it clicks. Note, I said when. I think we will have one really special player on our hands

Right now he reminds me of Kalou with his high and/or wide shots - an everything but the finish player.

But Andre has a bigger potential IMO.

Right now he reminds me of Kalou with his high and/or wide shots - an everything but the finish player.

But Andre has a bigger potential IMO.

At the moment, I'd agree with that. I don't know why but I am thinking of Lampard during his first two seasons or Drogba during his first two seasons. Not in the style of the player but in the.. almost.. almost feeling. Something is yet to click.

3rd season is the charm.

I really hope that I'm right.