André Schürrle

BlueLion.

In our team weirdly the onus is always on the wingers to defend. I just hope the defenders eventually start doing their job.

Yeah. I understand that all players should contribute defensively and defending is a teamwork, but if our defenders rely on the midfield all the time, then it suggests something is wrong with our defenders. Ivanovic has been very undisciplined this season, but he doesn't get publicly blamed.

Yeah. I understand that all players should contribute defensively and defending is a teamwork, but if our defenders rely on the midfield all the time, then it suggests something is wrong with our defenders. Ivanovic has been very undisciplined this season, but he doesn't get publicly blamed.

He was responsible for the Schalke goal as well. Has been our worst player this season.

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

This gif sums up Schürrle's game and current standing in the pick order for the first XI. He really needs to step up defensively because at this moment the right spot is up for grabs, a defensive liability is the 1 thing Mourinho hates the most though.

It really is only the case if that particular player isn't a 100% favorite of Mourinho...

It really is only the case if that particular player isn't a 100% favorite of Mourinho...

Hmm, but who is a 100% favorite of Mourinho? Ivanovic? Ramires? Probably Costa too. He would never drop Hazard, even though sometimes he doesn't do much defensive work, and I don't think he's a 100% favorite of Mourinho. IMO, Mourinho can appreciate offensive players. As long as their contribution offensively outweighs their defensive limitations, it can be okay. But Andre's error clearly pissed Jose off.

Hmm, but who is a 100% favorite of Mourinho? Ivanovic? Ramires? Probably Costa too. He would never drop Hazard, even though sometimes he doesn't do much defensive work, and I don't think he's a 100% favorite of Mourinho. IMO, Mourinho can appreciate offensive players. As long as their contribution offensively outweighs their defensive limitations, it can be okay. But Andre's error clearly pissed Jose off.

There are two ways to define the untouchables in this case; one is that a certain player is the best amongst those playing in the same position and another is those not the best and actually be switched with another player but Mourinho is (perhaps?) reluctant to do so. And Ivanovic falls into the latter category. I know he has been great going forward this season and offers us extra threat in set pieces and even a target from GKs but how can he continue to start games after making so many defensive errors is beyond me. Had that been another player, he would probably be spending the next 3 months sitting on the bench!

Why the hell is this guy not starting yet? He is clearly one of our best attacking players, as well as Germany. The man just knows how to attack and score goals. I don't get how Jose chooses to start a guy like Ramires every game who is so one dimensional and can't pass for shit, but we have Andre on the bench who always delivers. Makes no sense. And yes, I know they are different positions but Schurrle is so effective and is reserved for the bench, meanwhile, Ramires is ineffective and starts every match.

No, I'm sorry. I refuse to blame the goal on an attacked getting beat too easily in the final third. I can blame him for not tracking back, for not making the effort to defend, but for trying to defend and getting beat by the opposition attacker, I don't blame him for that.

Like Jose said, if it was Ramires, then you can blame him for that, but with Schurrle you can't expect him to defend 1vs1 and win.

But why was he left to defend the wing all alone? Why was our attacker left isolated in defense when we had the numerical advantage on the pitch? Why was Ivanovic out of position to start with and then just stands in his place for about 20 seconds just ball watching?

Btw, that movement for his goal is absolutely world class.

You are one of his fans. His goal was far from world class, even Torres would have scored that.

Modern football is wingers are required to defend as well. He was not defending alone, he was poor defensively from the first minute he arrived on the pitch.

You are one of his fans. His goal was far from world class, even Torres would have scored that.

Modern football is wingers are required to defend as well. He was not defending alone, he was poor defensively from the first minute he arrived on the pitch.

I know you don't like Andre, but that wasn't the easiest of chances and he made a good run. Give him credit.

A defenders job is also to defend and Brana was nowhere to be found. Andre is not totally at fault.