Tiago

Spike

what you're missing is that the fact we aren't buying him, we're getting him for free. According to reports he's giving up more money to play for us. He just reached a UCL final in a team that is physical like the EPL, so he's adapted not only because he's been here before, but because he's used to it.

What's the idea that a player who's passed 30 can't play good football anymore?

Who could have displaced a 33yo Terry from the team last season? And no, I'm not talking about our squad, but in the whole league? Who was flawless except a couple of mistakes at the end of the season. If you want to talk about long term then allow us to see if van Ginkel can be our long term. Also there's always the next transfer window. What's the hurry for?

Long term, long term, long term, but once this team starts to struggle because it lacks leaders and experienced guys who can endure the hurdles and help the others people will be screaming at the top of their lungs that Mourinho has to leave or that we need to sign players in their peak, at age 28 and whats not.

Never said he couldn't play.

Would just rather us target young, top class players with great potential and who can be at the club for 5+ years than signing an older player on a free that'll be here for a season or two.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people (maybe only me judging by this thread) would rather buy a long term solution than a player at the end of his career. José has talked nonstop about building "the new Chelsea for the next decade," and now we're essentially swapping one old player for another who's a similar age.

Not denying that he's a good player and would prove useful, but I'd rather see us get someone who can nail down a place for years to come and be a first XI regular.

Long term solution? What exactly is the problem? He's not here to be the star, not now not in the future. He's here to be a squad player and very few teams can say they have a player of this quality for that role.

I personally would NOT prefer a young player for this role. We have more than enough player "for the future". We need players with experience, and when it's someone who's already won things even with this very club. It's pretty damn smart signing by the club, imo.

EDIT: Add to that the fact that he's coming on a free, so there is literally nothing to lose by signing him.

Look what England lacked in the WC, one word….. experience. There has to be a blend of both, we need it, and all teams need it.

This guy has done it and knows his shit, worth money is experience at times, long season and he's been and seen it all.

What I always found funny was people saying that Fabregas is Lampards replacement. Totally wrong, totally different players. Tiago is Lampard's replacement.

He is an experienced head in midfield and that is what we need when things get tough. I'd have him over Mikel any day and he also controls the game better than Frank. Knows Chelsea, knows Mourinho, knows the league, knows the system, great stand in for when Fabregas needs a rest and great squad singing.

Look what England lacked in the WC, one word….. experience. There has to be a blend of both, we need it, and all teams need it.

This guy has done it and knows his shit, worth money is experience at times, long season and he's been and seen it all.

cesc - done it all i guys.

rambo - CL winner

matic - EL finalist.

we dont need a 5th choice DM to be a 33 year old experienced player. (this is without including mikel)

I was against this transfer before but it makes sense now.

A midfield of Cesc, Matic, Ramires, MVG, Tiago, Mikel is very fine. Lots of diversity and options there.

Tiago >>> Lampard as of right now. He'd be a quality squad player for us and an excellent bridge for some of the younger ones coming through.

Impressive how he's turned down lucrative deals from Zenit and Monaco. Proper Chels.

I was against this transfer before but it makes sense now.

A midfield of Cesc, Matic, Ramires, MVG, Tiago, Mikel is very fine. Lots of diversity and options there.

it's one too many imo, something has to give between Ramires and Mikel. that being said, it would depend a lot on our formation next season.

it's one too many imo, something has to give between Ramires and Mikel. that being said, it would depend a lot on our formation next season.

Maybe, but it does gives us a lot of options and variety. Mikel and Tiago understand that they're squad players anyway.

Tbh, I can see MVG going out on loan to get regular football.

Maybe, but it does gives us a lot of options and variety. Mikel and Tiago understand that they're squad players anyway.

Tbh, I can see MVG going out on loan to get regular football.

Yeah that's what's good about them two especially, they'll know they're not going to start every game but will still be important. Tiago brings a general in midfield too, like Matic, that we really missed. it's my Raul Meireles was so effective.

Yeah that's what's good about them two especially, they'll know they're not going to start every game but will still be important. Tiago brings a general in midfield too, like Matic, that we really missed. it's my Raul Meireles was so effective.

I really hope it doesn't take playing time from my boy Van Ginkel. His injury last year was harsh and he deserves a chance, I really hope he gets it.

You and I remember Raul Meireles very differently! :lol:

Never said he couldn't play.

Would just rather us target young, top class players with great potential and who can be at the club for 5+ years than signing an older player on a free that'll be here for a season or two.

You have to look at how many experienced players we will have in the squad next season without him. No Cole, no Lampard, probably no Eto'o, as well as the chance that Cech could be sacrificed for Thibaut Courtois. Tiago has been there and done it, a great free transfer, in fact hes actually a very good player to be honest even at 30 odd.

This squad, as I said in another thread, will have a good mix of youth, players in their peak and older players because in a squad you need that. Ferguson had players like Giggs, Scholes, O'Shea, Solskjaer, at United when they were in the latter stages of their careers to pass on experience to younger guys and play when needed to play. You can't win with just kids because they need time to learn and improve, I generally believe that you need a good mix of everything in a squad, to come through big games, suspension/injury crises and also when the younger guys are in bad moments the older guys can perhaps step up and lead the way setting an example for younger players.

Tiago has also signed for Chelsea. Although Atlético are negotiating hard, Filipe Luis will eventually be going to Chelsea (AS) #CFC

Tiago wanted to go to Dubai or Qatar but Mourinho entrusted with him a mission - short-term play for #CFC & long term be his assistant (AS)

Tiago has been instrumental in signing Diego Costa for #CFC. Mourinho also asked him to convince Filipe Luis to play at Stamford Bridge (AS)