Tiago

Spike

I'm listening to Al primer toque on Onda Cero and they just said that Tiago can't sign with Chelsea and Jorge Mendes offered him to Valencia.

They said why Chelsea can't sign him, but I didn't understand what they were saying. Something about his contract, I don't know. Waiting for someone to pick up on this story and see what's all about.

http://www.marca.com/2014/07/20/futbol/equipos/valencia/1405892088.html

"Licensing issue" whatever that means. It's a shame because I'd have loved to see him here. Ex-player, lots of experience, more depth, good passer, camaraderie with the other Atletico guys and can play in the holding role next to Matic if Fabregas is playing as a number 10.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Licensing issue" whatever that means. It's a shame because I'd have loved to see him here. Ex-player, lots of experience, more depth, good passer, camaraderie with the other Atletico guys and can play in the holding role next to Matic if Fabregas is playing as a number 10.

Never heard of a player not being signed due to a licensing issue before, either bad Google translate or might have something to do with PL non-HG players rule.

Yep, I'm a bit disappointed, too. Would have been a great squad player.

I'm reading an article from Cadena Ser where they say that this transfer can't go through because of Chelsea, not because of Tiago's contract or something else. This "licensing issue" is Chelsea's problem it seems.

Sin embargo, un problema de licencias del club londinense le impedirá (a Tiago) jugar en Stamford Bridge y su agente, Jorge Mendes le ha ofrecido al presidente del Valencia, Amadeo Salvo la posiblidad de firmar a Tiago con la carta de libertad.

what is licensing issue?

Jorge Mendes owns a part of Tiago's economical rights so we'd have to pay him some money to get Tiago because in England these part-ownerships are not allowed. No such problem in Spain.

We'd surely have known about Jorge Mendes' share of Tiago before we agreed to sign him. Interesting that we only pulled out after we got Filipe Luis and Costa. Perhaps Tiago did help broker the deals and we went back on our word to sign him afterwards which would be incredibly harsh.

Jorge Mendes owns a part of Tiago's economical rights so we'd have to pay him some money to get Tiago because in England these part-ownerships are not allowed. No such problem in Spain.

how can he own a part of his economical rights if he's a free agent now?

That's confusing.

Also I'm very worried about we reaching the homegrown quota. In our first team only JT, Cahill and Cesc count, right? So it means we need to get another five HG in the other 22 positions we have available... I don't see us adding foreign players anymore. To pick five of our u-21 (and unless Cech leaves, we can't even have Jamal in the count) and the likes of Moses and Bertrand leaves us with little room for getting more foreigners as we basically are left with no first team HG players.

That's confusing.

Also I'm very worried about we reaching the homegrown quota. In our first team only JT, Cahill and Cesc count, right? So it means we need to get another five HG in the other 22 positions we have available... I don't see us adding foreign players anymore. To pick five of our u-21 (and unless Cech leaves, we can't even have Jamal in the count) and the likes of Moses and Bertrand leaves us with little room for getting more foreigners as we basically are left with no first team HG players.

If it was true in the first place I would guess it had something to do with Jorge Mendes being Tiago's agent and them still having an ongoing contract between them. Anyway, doesn't matter anymore now that he re-signed with Atletico. Good for him, although I would have liked having him back.

Wouldn't be too worried about the homegrown quota. It's true that we don't have enough of them at the moment, only the three you mentioned and maybe Lukaku too if the rules are like I've always assumed them to be, but we can still have a big enough squad even if we left a few HG places unregistered. 17 non-HG, three or four HG and a few U21s is more than enough to have a full 23-24 man squad. We just need to make some room to the squad if the plan is to add any more players but I'm sure the club will take care of that. At the moment it's not looking likely that we'll be adding any players other than Drogba to the team and we'll only need to offload two players to be able to register everyone and having guys like Torres, Mikel, Romeu, MvG and three non-HG goalkeepers I'd say it's not impossible to sell or loan enough players to make room for everyone else.

That's confusing.

Well he'd be a "free agent" in the sense, he no longer has a contract with Atletico Madrid. His contract with Mendes probably goes longer.

Also it's quite funny now, because wasn't he the "catalyst" who "convinced" Luis & Costa to sign with us? :lol:

He would be good backup, free too. Now we have to look for other CM because I dont think Mou will trust Rambo, Romeu, Mikel as backups. Mikel should be sold and someone new bought as backup.

Maybe that's why we extended Romeu's contract, he could be the squad player we need. Mikel is reliable, especially in a 4-3-3 where he only needs to protect the back 4z